Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Man of Steel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:21 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Van Statten wrote:
He just better punch something in the damn film.

Yeah while that's cool and all, that isn't just what Superman does all the time. He's the guy who talks first, hits later, (at least in almost all of the books and comics I have read.) He is essentially more powerful than a God (Darkseid, Orion, etc, etc,) so he has to pull his punches and what not, because one wrong miscalculation and that person is dead. So again while I enjoy action... when it comes to Superman I hope they keep him a peacemaker first, brawler second. (just my 2 cents.) ;)

D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:50 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

That's all fun to read about in the comics and all but on the screen he has to do something... that's why Returns was a bomb... he had no one to fight. That's why Superman II rates rather high with most people because he does all that and still fights the Phantom Zoners. Otherwise he just becomes boring for 2 hours. I do not want to sit through his journey to find himself which many writers have done in the comics. For me... that suddenly becomes not worth it. It would be like having Batman not stop crime or use his detective skills. Which for all my dislike of the Nolan movies I do admit, the second film plays up his detective prowess quite nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:14 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Van Statten wrote:
He just better punch something in the damn film.

Amen, brother. And multiple times at that. :twisted:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:38 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Van Statten wrote:
That's all fun to read about in the comics and all but on the screen he has to do something... that's why Returns was a bomb... he had no one to fight. That's why Superman II rates rather high with most people because he does all that and still fights the Phantom Zoners. Otherwise he just becomes boring for 2 hours. I do not want to sit through his journey to find himself which many writers have done in the comics. For me... that suddenly becomes not worth it. It would be like having Batman not stop crime or use his detective skills. Which for all my dislike of the Nolan movies I do admit, the second film plays up his detective prowess quite nicely.

I figured I was in the minority of people who believed Superman was more than JUST a bad guy basher. but eh... ;)

D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:01 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Dusty wrote:
Van Statten wrote:

I figured I was in the minority of people who believed Superman was more than JUST a bad guy basher. but eh... ;)

I'm with you on the "more than JUST a bad guy basher" thing, but I have to agree that the movie is going to need some action and some better flying effects than that jet-stream-shaky-cam bit seen at the end (granted, in context that shot may make perfect sense). We've seen Superman's origin over and over and over, everyone who will go to see this film knows the story already, it should just pick up in the middle of things like Burton's first Batman film, give bits of back-story within the framework but no more origins which this seems to very much be...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:40 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

That was immensely boring. I already want my money back.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 am 
5" Scale

alcinde4 wrote:

:lol: Glad that I had just swallowed my coffee before reading this :lol: I'm reluctantly optimistic. I like Synder and thoroughly enjoyed both 300 and Watchmen. Then again, I liked X-Men and X2 also :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 am 

The_Donster wrote:
alcinde4 wrote:

:lol: Glad that I had just swallowed my coffee before reading this :lol: I'm reluctantly optimistic. I like Synder and thoroughly enjoyed both 300 and Watchmen. Then again, I liked X-Men and X2 also :wink:

I actually feel the same way Don. I'm just not sure how that trailer is supposed to leave the fans gasping with anticipation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 am 
5" Scale

:lol: Me either. I'm still waiting for a better video of the trailer they showed at SDCC :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:28 pm 
serves the Otter

Jim_Abell wrote:

I'm with you on the "more than JUST a bad guy basher" thing, but I have to agree that the movie is going to need some action and some better flying effects than that jet-stream-shaky-cam bit seen at the end (granted, in context that shot may make perfect sense). We've seen Superman's origin over and over and over, everyone who will go to see this film knows the story already, it should just pick up in the middle of things like Burton's first Batman film, give bits of back-story within the framework but no more origins which this seems to very much be...

For sure, I agree that there should be more action (I watch action shows, I am an action junkie.) But when it comes to Superman who is this guy who is more powerful than Hulk, Thor, and even Darkseid, he has to be uber careful on every move he makes. Plus he is that guy that wants peace and used to say quite often that "fighting is never the answer" sure he would still kick butt if needed but again it was the second or last resort. Also as for the origin story again, (they had the original 78 Superman movie and Smallville.) Yes, everyone knows the story but I think this movie is trying to go more deeply than both those. I am pretty sure someone said Birthright is one of their biggest inspirations for the story, (not the designs exactly.) So yeah I do agree with many that there should be action in the movie, but I really don't want them to do it: "just cause" or: "without action the movie would suck." I want this to be a Superman movie not "The Dark Man Of Steel Rises" ;)
But either way I will give it a chance before throwing invisible eggs at WB's studios. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:24 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Dusty wrote:
But either way I will give it a chance before throwing invisible eggs at WB's studios. ;)

Yeah. I want to see the actual trailer trailer before I let myself get too disappointed but I have to agree with Cal, that was boring... We just had 10 years of Smallville leading up to Clark becoming Superman and it honestly looks like they're going to make that into a movie from what was shown... Even with the lousy story I thought that Sucker Punch was visually amazing and I'm not seeing that from Snyder in this one. Yet...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:51 am 

Jim_Abell wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Yeah. I want to see the actual trailer trailer before I let myself get too disappointed but I have to agree with Cal, that was boring... We just had 10 years of Smallville leading up to Clark becoming Superman and it honestly looks like they're going to make that into a movie from what was shown... Even with the lousy story I thought that Sucker Punch was visually amazing and I'm not seeing that from Snyder in this one. Yet...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I sincerely want this movie to be amazing. Epic even. But it can't be that if Zach doesn't bring that amazing action and visual flair that made 300 great, and Sucker Punch, well, it made it pretty. :lol: I just would've rather not had a teaser trailer at all, than to have gotten what seems to be a synopsis of Smallville on the big screen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:32 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I remember the talk before Superman Returns that the people who did Smallville would have been able to move to the big screen after five years... shame that didn't pan out, I would have liked that, a back story already established... instead of.... going through it ALL over again...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:17 pm 

Van Statten wrote:
I remember the talk before Superman Returns that the people who did Smallville would have been able to move to the big screen after five years... shame that didn't pan out, I would have liked that, a back story already established... instead of.... going through it ALL over again...

Agreed. At that time I thought Tom Welling (Clark on Smallville) would've made a better Superman than Brandon Routh. I wasn't wrong. I didn't have a problem with Routh per se, it's just that the whole movie was a massive failure. In my eyes at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

The plane sequence was top notch. and Lex was pretty good.

The rest (especially "stalker" Superman and the Super boogledong) was pretty much crap.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 41  Next