Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:37 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

shabbyblue wrote:
S. Griffin wrote:
The minimum goal for this year is supposed to be the total number they sold last year.

Then that makes it all the more discouraging when we're not even a 3rd of the way there yet. Are there really that many subscribers from last year really choose not to renew for a 2nd year? :(

Well, I know that a number of people have been waiting to get paid (this week and next, I guess) before they subscribe, but there are people who subscribed this year, went through some serious crap with Digital River and have decided it's just not worth it. I guess we'll see how large the one group is compared to the other. Note: for simplicity's sake, I've left out a third group who is comprised of collectors who were excited by one or two (or even three or four) of last year's reveals, are pretty underwhelmed by what they saw this year, and are hesitant to sign up again on the off chance that they might see a figure they actually like later in the year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:19 am 
Loose, Missing Package

shabbyblue wrote:
Then that makes it all the more discouraging when we're not even a 3rd of the way there yet. Are there really that many subscribers from last year really choose not to renew for a 2nd year? :(

With the SDCC stuff going up today I have to wait until I get paid next week before I can subscribe to anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:53 am 
active in the community

signed up to dcu and watchmen lines.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:26 am 
Resin

It's funny when you consider the value some of us as collectors put on the same products in different situations. I'm not a completest with DCUC (that was DCIH for me, R.I.P.). I'd say I have about 65-70% of the line. I am now considering a sub even though there are no characters I HAVE to have, and some I don't care to have. Still, I'm trying to reason paying $26 for Wally West and Saint Walker, and sometimes I can talk myself into it. Meanwhile, at a couple of my TRU's, GL CLassics are on clearance for $10.98, and there sit two characters I really do care about, Carol Ferris and Sodam Yat, yet I haven't pulled the trigger on buying them. I tell myself "maybe they'll be discounted further." Yet with the Sub, and even with "cherry picking" from day-of sub sales, I can somehow justify paying $26 for characters I don't need, just because of the limited nature of Matty items and the hype around them. Weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I will buy my two subs once August hits. I need to get closer to paycheck time (as a teacher, I don't get paid during the summer).

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:41 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I have to say...

as hard as all this is to watch play out right now, this is the most forthcoming and "honest" I have ever seen anyone at Matty be in any kind of communique with the fans.

Scott hasn't shied away from answering a question once. He hasn't given us corporate jargon or double speak. He isn't edited through the PR and Legal departments.

Its just straight up, this is where we are, what we are trying to do, and what could possibly be if this doesn't go the way we hope.

He admits he made mistakes in hindsight and he is still pressing for the future like the fanboy that he is.

If only every QnA were handled this well ... sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:16 am 
We're going streaking!

I hadn't watched the video until I read your post, bnjmnrlyr, as I figure it does not apply to me (I plan to get a DCIE Sub this weekend), but it was well done, even if my favorite part had nothing to do with the subscription (the $1 a year price increase, which follows my theory that taxes should be raised every year, instead of held steady until a BIG increase is needed four years later; but that's another subject :wink: ).

There are so many factors at play here -- dislike for what was shown, patience for dealing with Digital River coming to and end, economics, a combo of those and others, etc -- who really knows why the subs are so stagnant lately.

I am not thrilled with the DCIE sub offering shown, mainly the rainbow lanterns, but I am still getting the sub because I like the line overall and I am going on faith that the ratio of what I like will improve or at least stay the same. I am sure some are in the same 'like' boat as me, but are not going to take that leap of faith. But with the way things have gone for DC lately, I think it is either the subscription for non-52 stuff, or we are stuck with DC 52-only going forward for quite a while. When that day happens, I will be very sad, so I will put up with figures I don't really care for, so long as that number stays under 50%.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:02 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Looks like the DC thermometer jumped up 2 more points today, now standing at 30%. Huzzah.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:32 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

Having the characters I want such as Ram-Man and hopefully Huntress, Vixen or Mera (as Poison Ivy was for this year) in DCIE is enough to make the whole subscription worth it for me. I'm not necessarily familiar with all the other characters but their inclusion in action figure form is a good introduction for me. I try to read about them and find out who they are. These characters still fit the universes they exist in (whether MOTU or DCU). And whether you like the characters or not, these are all very nice figures. Yes, there are some quality control issues but heck, hardly any of the over $50 DCD Ame-comi figures I have are still standing due to broken parts!

I'm sad to hear that 2014 (if not 2013) might be the last year for MOTUC. I wonder how much figures would cost if they further reduced the number of figures produced just to continue some sort of subscription program into 2015? I suppose I might be coerced into paying $40/figure if that meant getting Horde Troopers or Queen Angella. These figures are still worth that price compared to what exclusives were going for during 90s action figure boom. Who remembers paying similar prices for monkey face Leia, Angela from Spawn, Warrior Nun Areala, or Moore's Witchblade figures?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Wildcard wrote:
I'm sad to hear that 2014 (if not 2013) might be the last year for MOTUC. I wonder how much figures would cost if they further reduced the number of figures produced just to continue some sort of subscription program into 2015? I suppose I might be coerced into paying $40/figure if that meant getting Horde Troopers or Queen Angella.

ToyGuru quotes from today on the Matty forums regarding MOTUC: "We have over 50% to go. We are at 46% of the min orders we need as of right now. If we don't hit 100% of the min it means fewer figs at higher prices (i.e. 30-35.00 per figure and likely only 4-6 figs for the whole year)."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:20 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

xrmc20 wrote:
Wildcard wrote:
I'm sad to hear that 2014 (if not 2013) might be the last year for MOTUC. I wonder how much figures would cost if they further reduced the number of figures produced just to continue some sort of subscription program into 2015? I suppose I might be coerced into paying $40/figure if that meant getting Horde Troopers or Queen Angella.

ToyGuru quotes from today on the Matty forums regarding MOTUC: "We have over 50% to go. We are at 46% of the min orders we need as of right now. If we don't hit 100% of the min it means fewer figs at higher prices (i.e. 30-35.00 per figure and likely only 4-6 figs for the whole year)."

Hmmm...
Well I guess it's good that he's letting people know upfront where MOTUC stands unlike Ghostbusters last year. The only good news I could get out of this is that at least at 50% of the minimum goal some figures will still be produced instead of a total cancellation of the line and sub program.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:40 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

I think the sub would be canceled, cause they couldn't up the price like that on the people who bought in. So the sub would be canceled, but then they'd have a few items that would still be sold (a la the final six JLU 3-packs).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:20 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Jim_Abell wrote:
shabbyblue wrote:

With the SDCC stuff going up today I have to wait until I get paid next week before I can subscribe to anything.

This is kind of me, although I'm not picking up any SDCC. I've got it marked on my calender to re-up around the 1st for the DCU Sub. None of the other subs interest me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I just did my DCIE and MOTUC subs. It'll be my second year with both, assuming they go through.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:46 am 
Resin

It's upsetting to me to see these subs doing so poorly.

Mattel has always said they were trying to space out heavy hitters to sustain the longevity of the MOTUC sub, but at SDCC they showed us Ram Man, Jitsu, Filmation Randor, Frosta, Mosquitor, Rattlor, etc. These are some of the heaviest hitters they have left to produce! They're winding down the line and really packing the subs with some of the best figures! This is the worst time for interest to die down when we're so close to completing a full collection. They're releasing fan-demanded figure after fan-demanded figure. The price increase was inevitable. I don't know why everyone is so shocked.

For the DCIE sub, we're getting Elongated Man, Platinum, Tin, Uncle Sam, Phantom Stranger, Mallah and the brain, Wally West Flash...these are all characters people have been clamoring for forever! We can finally get them! Why aren't people buying the subs? It's so frustrating. Lead is a huge disappointment for me on the Darkseid buck, because he seems inappropriately enormous. I think Mattel made a huge, desperate mistake with him, but overall, the offering is strong, and if the sub doesn't go well, say goodbye to Earth II Robin or Perez Zatanna or countless others we could otherwise get.

The Watchmen sub I think is perhaps the least enticing offering. 6 figures that cost more than other DC figures? Eh. Manhattan's head is too small for his body, and his use of a DC buck just doesn't work, especially with the cut of his black shorts and the "underwear" lines on the buck. A translucent variant of him should have been produced (perhaps as a SDCC exclusive to kick off the sub - missed opportunity), and I haven't head anything about swappable heads, but Rorschach needs a maskless head; the Comedian will need at least 3 different heads to complete all his looks, so this sub won't be very definitive, by any means, and I just don't believe Mattel put enough thought or effort into it to really sell it - but I'm still going to gamble and buy a sub and see what happens.

I really hope people end up subscribing. Mattel gave everyone until August 6th to sign up (almost a month) so that no one would complain that they didn't have an adequate chance. That's more than enough time for anyone to sign up. Personally, I like waiting until more near the deadline just so I can be charged for the subs as late as possible, but I will definitely be signing up for one of each sub before August 6th. I really hope we don't miss out on the last, most crucial days of these lines.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next