Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Are you subscribing to the 2013 DC Club Infinite Earths?
Yes, and I've already signed up 44%  44%  [ 33 ]
Yes, but I haven't signed up yet 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
No, even though I signed up last year, I will not be renewing this year 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
No, I have never subscribed and won't this year 27%  27%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject: Re: 2013 DC Club Infinite Earths: In or Out?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Wow. Out of 26 votes so far, 10 of them are not getting the sub. That's almost 40%. Not good. :|

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:29 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

yeah, but 7 of those are people who aren't interested in it to begin with

The important number is the people who bought the 2012 sub, but are not getting the 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:40 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

xrmc20 wrote:

The important number is the people who bought the 2012 sub, but are not getting the 2013.

I respectfully disagree X. What if they weren't interested because of the character selection? I'm certainly in that crowd, and I bought a sub. There isn't one figure for this year or next year, that I'm jumping up and down about. Not one. And that's probably indicative of a lot of the very fractured DC collecting populace. What's a must have to some, is a meh to others. I just keep chugging along hoping that 1) we get way more female figures 2) we get more Legionnaires 3) we get more Morrison era JLA. To which some will reply, "Who gives a eff about any of those"? That's part of our quandary with those 10 votes.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:41 pm 
Aspires to be #1

xrmc20 wrote:

We need both though. Don't forget we never reached the total they wanted last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:57 pm 
Resin

I'm thinking about it... I didn't sign up last year, as I was thoroughly soured on DCUC and decided to only continue buying characters that were a part of the original Super Powers line. That being said, now I want to complete a few loose ends, like Doom Patrol, the Satellite era JLA, etc. With Elastic Girl, Elongated man, and Phantom Stranger (just to name a few), I'm tempted to sign up. I feel as if it'll be a tough battle getting close to the number needed to get this year's assortment made, and every subscription will matter. It's quite a bit of money when it's all said and done, and I am running out of room to put this stuff on display.... I'm still considering....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:05 pm 
BANNED

joeace wrote:
The 2013 Sub line-up does not impress me. I'm Out.

Which female figures are coming in 2013?

I think that since the 2012 Sub barely happened, Matty has no money to make unique sculpts for figures. That eliminates a bunch of DC Characters that would have been cool to have in the Sub.

I'm not a MOTU or Watchmen collector so I have no interest in those Subs. If all 3 Subs fail this year, then Matty can just focus on DC Unlimited. Maybe they will continue to offer an occasional Comic-con online exclusive if the sub fails.

Hey Matty, what I really want is 4" scale DC action figures. Keep the Four Horseman sculpts and just shrink them down.

me too, I would buy practically almost all dc stuff made in 4"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:30 pm 
5" Scale

I've got it marked on my calender. Just waiting for payday to throw my hat in the ring. If it does go through, I hope they wrap up the teams they are starting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:40 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

alcinde4 wrote:
I respectfully disagree X. What if they weren't interested because of the character selection? I'm certainly in that crowd, and I bought a sub. There isn't one figure for this year or next year, that I'm jumping up and down about. Not one. And that's probably indicative of a lot of the very fractured DC collecting populace. What's a must have to some, is a meh to others. I just keep chugging along hoping that 1) we get way more female figures 2) we get more Legionnaires 3) we get more Morrison era JLA. To which some will reply, "Who gives a eff about any of those"? That's part of our quandary with those 10 votes.

j1h15233 wrote:
We need both though. Don't forget we never reached the total they wanted last year.

I totally get what you two are saying. I was operating on the idea that the minimum number to launch the 2013 sub was the total number of subs for 2012 (which was 60 something % of what they wanted for 2012). So if you didn't sign up last year, and you aren't interested this year, then you're just not on board with the sub (and there are a bunch of different reasons for people in that camp: cost, hate DR, hate Mattel, it's online, don't like 6" scale, don't care about DCU, character selection, etc., whatever). So, to me, the votes that sting in a poll like this are the people who signed up last year but have no interest in the 2013 sub. If everyone who signed up last year signs up this year, then the sub is a go, but clearly there's been a drop. And there are a lot of possible reasons. Another one in addition to the ones I listed could be people who bought multiple subs for 2012, but dropped it down to just one for 2013.

The big bummer is that this line has become the only line to get the lower tier characters. All other DC lines are gonna be based on just A-listers, movie versions, video game versions, or generic Batman stuff. The DC sub is the last hope for stuff like Mallah and the Brain.

I think you're right though, Al-4, the DC collector group is fractured into so many sub-groups, and people who are only really interested in their sub-group, that an all-inclusive line just doesn't have enough completists out there to keep it going. The same basic problem is happening with MOTUC. I actually dig the character selection for both 2012 and 2013 of the DC sub, and I'd dig more female figures, more Legionnaires, and more Morrison era JLA too. I'm all-in with DC stuff, but there just aren't enough of us (it seems).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I'm signing up again (2 each of the three subs) but it won't be until the 2nd before I can do that. Selling the SDCC stuff in the same time frame as a previously unknown number/type of subs may have caused the delay in more people having to wait to sign-up like I am.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:22 am 
Aspires to be #1

I hope you're right X but I feel like they reset their expectations for the min to the number they wanted in 2012 instead of the number they got.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:05 am 
We're going streaking!

joeace wrote:
The 2013 Sub line-up does not impress me. I'm Out.

Which female figures are coming in 2013?

I think that since the 2012 Sub barely happened, Matty has no money to make unique sculpts for figures. That eliminates a bunch of DC Characters that would have been cool to have in the Sub...

The lack of more LOSH figures was my biggest disappointment of what was not shown so far. It seems like the box set sold so well that there is a market for The Legion and with all the females in the group, that could have knocked two things off the list at the same time.

I am probably in the minority on this part, but the Watchmen figures are $25 each and at least with Rorschach, you can see the new sculpting, so maybe that and maybe the license (did they have to negotiate that separately) accounts for the increased cost... I would have happily paid $25 for a quarterly DCIE figure that contained new tooling for characters like Dawnstar or The Chief... but then, I'd be mad if that slot was used for Brother Warth, so unless Matty announces all of the figures for the year, it will always be a leap of faith and a crap shoot.

It seems like they knew they were going to attempt a 2013 sub. I would think the licensing approvals could have been done where they could at least announce the full slate of characters, even if they could not show the sculpts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 am 
my tummy itches

Location: Kegworth, just around the corner from Gotham, England
TRDouble wrote:
...I would have happily paid $25 for a quarterly DCIE figure that contained new tooling for characters like Dawnstar or The Chief... but then, I'd be mad if that slot was used for Brother Warth...

See, much as I would love Dawnstar or the Chief, Brother Warth would have me Squee-ing.

Then again, I'd be even happier with Oracle.

But the idea is solid - instead of a larger quarterly figure, why not a standard size figure with extra tooling?

Jo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

you_will_forget wrote:
TRDouble wrote:
...I would have happily paid $25 for a quarterly DCIE figure that contained new tooling for characters like Dawnstar or The Chief... but then, I'd be mad if that slot was used for Brother Warth...

See, much as I would love Dawnstar or the Chief, Brother Warth would have me Squee-ing.

Then again, I'd be even happier with Oracle.

But the idea is solid - instead of a larger quarterly figure, why not a standard size figure with extra tooling?

Jo

Not that I want to start the debate, but as we've seen, the larger scale figures don't really use much new tooling. They exist on the current larger bucks with some add on parts.

To do something like Oracle (just as an example), There would most likely need to be new female lower legs (with a pant hem/cuff sculpt), the wheelchair, a new head, possibly new biceps (depending on the type of shirt they have her wearing), etc.

That's not to say it can't be done (and I would personally love it if it were), but I can already hear Matty saying, "we just don't have the budget for figures needing this much new tooling. The line is built to be standard buck usage with a new head and paint apps at most..." or something to that effect.

I'm still hoping for the best and that payday will make a huge difference in the amount of subs we get signed up for, but I can see the next year or two being really lean with the offerings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

C'mon Derby, helps us out and buy a sub! If we make it another year and then there's always a potential for another year after that and there's still a lot of great figs out there they could make. If they already have some of the key ones you're interested all the more reason to sign up for this year and see where it goes.

I'm buying 2 subs when my new ccard comes in. I don't dare use my old one because it expires at the end of this year so I ordered a new ccard just to use for my subs and should be in early next week.
Boots

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/foru ... 351#157351

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:00 am 
Resin

Boots Bailey wrote:
C'mon Derby, helps us out and buy a sub! If we make it another year and then there's always a potential for another year after that and there's still a lot of great figs out there they could make. If they already have some of the key ones you're interested all the more reason to sign up for this year and see where it goes.

I'm buying 2 subs when my new ccard comes in. I don't dare use my old one because it expires at the end of this year so I ordered a new ccard just to use for my subs and should be in early next week.
Boots

I probably will, Boots, but it's mainly the $$ factor, and now the horror stories I've been hearing about DR in regards to the subs. I don't have the time to waste by fighting with poor customer service. However, I really do want that Monsieur Mallah and Brain...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next