Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: THE 4 HORSEMEN CHIME IN ON MOTU SUB!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

stewbacca wrote:
Well I will be disappointed we dont get Two Bad-- and my wife will that she gets no more POPs but other than that oh well..

I just Granyamir was part of the sub this year instead of that 4 armed thing Im stuck paying for... The only reason I even signed up this year was for Shadow Weaver-- the rest would be day of sale purchases for me- so I wouldnt be stuck with Crap figs like Horde Prime,Slush Head and those quarterly craptastic figures..

I think it's a mixed bag. I don't care much for Granymir. Though I'll probably get him (hopefully with a diorama like Stay Puft!). But I like Procrustus. I have NO idea who he is, but I like him a lot. I like the FFM too. The 30th anniversary sub I didn't like. I mean, I love Dreago Man, and Castle grayskull man, and even Cy Chop, the the rest blew.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 pm 
Cold-cast

You know, I would totally sub if it weren't for those huge overpriced figs that I don't want. If they just offered me 12 a year great. But nope, they have to throw in the other stuff on top. Plus the stupidity of (supposedly) no DoS combined with a tiny sub window. It allows for zero expansion.

If someone just stumbled across Matty in early Sept. (which they'd have to unless they get on sites like this) and they wanted say Ram Man, tough luck. Can they buy a sub for next year to make sure they don't miss out again? Nope, try back after SDCC. Maybe they'll remember, but why should they have to? This years sub should already be locked in and they should be worrying about selling next years sub from now until after SDCC. But oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:36 pm 
5" Scale

abuddah wrote:
Spoiler: show
Mattel guards sales numbers like they’re state secrets, so there’s no way to know whether they’ve increased the number of subscriptions needed this time around or if there has been a drop off in customers, but let’s assume that it is the latter. The DC and Masters of the Universe brands have been around several years now and the most requested figures have been produced. So we’re at the point where fandom becomes fractured and people a less likely to go all in on a subscription even if most of the figures have been revealed. There are MOTU fans that just want the toys of their youth (me), there’s She-Ra fans, New Adventures fans, 200X fans, and yes a fraction that just loves every MOTU piece of merchandise they can afford (Pixel Dan). With DC, well basically there’s fans of every iteration of their reboots. Daniel, you were in the AFI thread where Jh1-whatever-his-handle was threatening to burn the Constantine figure if it was in the sub because it wasn’t part of “his DC” even after people showed off multiple images of Constantine on bronze age covers and testimonials about the great character work done by various artist in the Vertigo line. I have the current DC and MOTU subs and I’ve been very disappointed by Rocket Red (scale and design issues) and the Star Sisters (POP prototypes glimpsed for a minute in one episode) respectively. These were not regular $20-25 offerings, these were both about ~$40 all said and done. But the problem is not increased figure prices. As Poe Ghostal pointed out on his blog “the total cost of the 2013 [MOTUC] sub (before shipping) is $505, while the total cost of the 2012 sub was $510.” The problem is the subscription based format and the customer is always right. Mattel is going to have to figure out another way to sell action figures

Good post abuddah. I'm a 200X myself, but other than that I'm lost on MOTUC stuff. I was a little too old to get into these when the originals were out. So I have no emotional ties like I do with most of the DCUC Sub. Between that and $$ I just can't float 2 subs when all is said in done. No matter how much I like 4H :|

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:29 pm 
shirtless hugger

With the advance of the digital era, consumers have become used to the concept that they can get what they want how they want it and when they want it.

While this behavior typically applies to movies, music, TV and other forms of digital entertainment, it has given consumers power to demand more choices in other areas.

While I understand Mattel's business reasons for wanting to use a subscription-based model for MattyCollector, it may not be the best way to sell toys to adult collectors. I get the impression that few people are "all in." Most want to pick and choose, even if they wind up buying every figure anyway.

It may end up that as interest in the subscriptions wanes, MattyCollector is folded into shop.mattel.com, where consumers can shop at their leisure. I believe Hasbro has a similar setup.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 pm 
Tis' but a pup

All I know is that it is unprecedented that a major toy company makes toys specifically for collectors, MOTUC and DCIE has been great, and when they are gone don't expect a new line to fill in the holes that are left. I have bought my subscription- do I like all the choices- no I do not want a Wally West Flash but understand alot of people do. I hope we can continue both lines because I really want a Zauriel and Waverider and I know that there is no way I'm getting either at retail.

I don't think Mattel is getting rich by any means, and I thank the Toy Guru for spearheading this endeavor because I think if not for him we would not have the Flash to complete the golden age JSA,and I do believe if the line continues most if not all of the top favorites will be made.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:55 pm 
BANNED

texgnome1 wrote:
Ah it's not a real AFI thread without the insane ramblings of guapo.

They are no ramblings are my wise and eternal words, caman is very sad that the workers of Mattel beg and humilliate themselves in this way, is pathetic, they have lost their dignity, it´s a shame,they make me laugh. Instead they should do a better work, better prices, better service, better selection of characters and a long etc

And let´s be honest, Toyguru lies all the time, he is not our friend he only wants money,he is greedy in the worst way. Remember the $50 for the Jlu 3 packs, he said that was the only possible price and suddenly he did magic and he offered them at only $30, he is a liar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:25 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

alcinde4 wrote:
Interesting. It doesn't sound disingenuous. I've already subscribed, so I've done my part. And I don't know any scalpers/resellers to talk into getting multiple subs. :roll: Although that seems to be the ticket to keep this thing rolling.

Scalpers and resellers are the ones that have abandoned MOTUC because they can't make any money on it. Increased cost combined with low value(most figures can be bought for around $30 on the secondary market) have made it not worthwhile for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:38 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Very good point Vancleef. With the amount of re-issues and such most of the line is very east to get now and prices have gone way down.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:10 am 
shirtless hugger

Yes, that's true. I think for some collectors, the value of the figures goes down when they see the prices falling on eBay.

As much as I hate to admit it, scalpers helped the longevity of the line by increasing the value of the figures on the secondary market.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:19 am 
Kool Moe Dee

JJJason brings up a good point about a a different kind of reseller that isn't bothering to buy MOTUC, the guy that doesn't want every figure and throws their extras on eBay. It's not worth doing that anymore either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:42 am 
We're going streaking!

vancleef9000 wrote:
JJJason brings up a good point about a a different kind of reseller that isn't bothering to buy MOTUC, the guy that doesn't want every figure and throws their extras on eBay. It's not worth doing that anymore either.

A quick perusal of eBay seems to suggest the same for DCUC.