Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:35 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Quote:
All great points guys! Mattel clearly put a lot of time and energy into the Mattycollector website, and I just don't want to see it fail.

They did?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:16 pm 
serves the Otter

joeace wrote:
Then before Matty spends time creating a prototype and getting the figure approval from DC, they should post a character poll on their website. This way they will be able to tell if a character is popular enough to sell through their website.

Agreed. They really should have done that this year or last year in preparation for the 2013 subscription. Just run a poll to guage the most wanted figures, and then devote most or all of the subscription to the top 12 vote-getters. They'd probably garner a lot more subscription sign-ups that way than by assuming they know what the fans want most. Sure, they guessed a few correct ones such as Wally West, but there are still some questionable choices in the 2013 lineup they've revealed that appeal to few. I think many of us are sick of the modern lantern corps characters, for example. Keep that crap in the main retail line instead of the sub.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:47 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

shabbyblue wrote:
joeace wrote:
Then before Matty spends time creating a prototype and getting the figure approval from DC, they should post a character poll on their website. This way they will be able to tell if a character is popular enough to sell through their website.

Agreed. They really should have done that this year or last year in preparation for the 2013 subscription. Just run a poll to guage the most wanted figures, and then devote most or all of the subscription to the top 12 vote-getters. They'd probably garner a lot more subscription sign-ups that way than by assuming they know what the fans want most. Sure, they guessed a few correct ones such as Wally West, but there are still some questionable choices in the 2013 lineup they've revealed that appeal to few. I think many of us are sick of the modern lantern corps characters, for example. Keep that crap in the main retail line instead of the sub.

Whether they're doing pre-orders or subs, I would agree that a a fan's choice poll should be implemented.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:48 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

FAN-DOR wrote:
Quote:
All great points guys! Mattel clearly put a lot of time and energy into the Mattycollector website, and I just don't want to see it fail.

They did?

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:17 pm 
shirtless hugger

TRDouble wrote:
jzachery wrote:
Personally, I feel stupid for getting sucked into MOTUC after JLU...

But why? I think Mattel has given collectors a nice, extensive collection of JLU, DCUC and MOTUC. Are they all "complete?" No, and as a DCUC collector, it can be frustrating to have incomplete teams. But taking in what we have received in the line, I have no regrets buying into DCUC or JLU (I don't collect MOTUC).

Let me chime in to carry TR's thought through to MOTUC. I have my MOTUCs over here about 15ft behind me and it's an awesome toyline. Do I have Rio Blast yet? No. Is my most-wanted Horde Mummy figure still a possibility in this abysmal "we'll only make vintage figures, honest" crap they're having to do to keep people interested. Prolly not. Does that really suck? Absolutely.

But what is over there behind me is are shelves holding roughly 100 MOTUC figures, nearly five year's worth, that I really enjoy. Yes, there's some bad paint here or there, three or four have reversed parts or a crack in their clear plastic, but for the most part it's been a fantastic line.

As collectors we get so keyed in on acquiring that we get laser focus on what we don't have and we overlook what's right here. Which is a shame because that's lot of frustration with very little time to bask in what we've built. It's not healthy.

If I look at what I have - what we're still getting to - for JLU/DCUC/MOTUC, I'm happy to have been so lucky (as a C.O.P.S., M.A.S.K. or Captain Power fan, I'm still waiting...). Sure, I have a million complaints, a million wants, and I could talk Toy Guru's ear off with my armchair misunderstandings well int the night, but I do think I picked the right lines to collect. Hopefully, there's some miles in the tank for the subs or some other method of sale (but not pre-orders!), but, if not, damn it's been a fun ride.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:30 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Why fix something that isn't broken, try fixing things that are - fix the Shipping and Handling done by Digital River, fix the QC people so we don't get backward shoulder joints inaccurate painting or anything like that.

Also make it a gradual step up over the years to 30.00 dollars a figure, lower the Shipping as well so the fans don't feel screwed. Offer actual figures people want so they will Sub and be happy with their sub, not mystery figures that no one wants, apart from the die hards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:28 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well they finally updated the thermometer...

A little bit more than I expected but ehh... it's not looking good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:30 pm 
We're going streaking!

Woo hoo! I helped move the thermometer! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:51 pm 
serves the Otter

So much for the claim that "We'll only update with every 5% increase". This is actually a 10% increase from the previous thermometer. It was at 30% last week and is now at exactly 40%.

I predict it'll probably end at around 50%, which is sadly not enough to get the DC sub going. I still don't believe their target this year is the same minimum number of subs sold last year. There's no way THAT many people opted out of year two.

Last edited by shabbyblue on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:53 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

MOTUC is up to 64%

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:53 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

The DCU Subscription figures for 2013 hold no interest to me. Why no Batman related figures like The Ventriloquist & Scarface? Ra's Al Ghul? Talia? Talon?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 pm 
serves the Otter

rono wrote:
The DCU Subscription figures for 2013 hold no interest to me. Why no Batman related figures like The Ventriloquist & Scarface? Ra's Al Ghul? Talia? Talon?

Because they should go in the Batman Unlimited retail line instead. It would be a wasted slot to put one of those in the subscription when that slot should be used for more unique obscure characters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:41 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

shabbyblue wrote:
rono wrote:

Because they should go in the Batman Unlimited retail line instead. It would be a wasted slot to put one of those in the subscription when that slot should be used for more unique obscure characters.

Then I'll have to pass. Enjoy. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:34 am 
Loose, Missing Package

A bit off-topic, but can anyone tell me what that green (glow-in-the-dark possibly?) and black figure is standing next the Granamyr in this video?...

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... ons-update

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:40 am 
categorically opposed

greenarrow1 wrote:
Also make it a gradual step up over the years to 30.00 dollars a figure, lower the Shipping as well so the fans don't feel screwed. Offer actual figures people want so they will Sub and be happy with their sub, not mystery figures that no one wants, apart from the die hards.

I agree with the "gradual" increase, though I'm sure that'd still turn people off, but they can't lower the shipping costs. That's something separate from the figure itself. Stamps go up in price every few months, so shipping costs are going up, as well. If they lower the shipping cost to "offset" the increased price, they'd have to eat the shipping cost themselves - and that would probably lead to an even bigger "gradual" increase as they'd pass that along to the consumer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next