Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thank You for Taking My Toys...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:14 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Not sure if anyone is going to read my rant or even cares, but it is something I need to share in order to move on. For the past 7 years I have worked in a great office where you may not know everyone, but there is a level of respect when it comes to personal belongings. I enjoy my toy collection and have some choice and eclectic pieces that decorate my work space. In the past I have always trusted my colleagues and never had any issues with stuff being stolen or damaged. Well that changed last night when two pieces went missing. I came in this morning to find my 1:50 Hot Wheels Animated Series Batmobile and 1989 Batwing stolen. Out of disbelief I searched my room for the toys but there was no sign of them. I assume their size and the popularity of the latest film were the motive b/c they were not the most valuable pieces in my room. C’mon there was an awesome Takara Masterpiece Optimus Prime inches away and how about the Signed Vintage Star Wars poster or the Tyler Stout Mondo Avenges Poster, or even a knock off Godzilla about to be knocked out by a DC Direct Superman, but no just two of Batman’s favorite rides are now gone. I even have a large selection of trades and graphic novels that are frequently loaned out when I find out someone hasn’t read The Killing Joke or heard of this Governor character from the Walking Dead. Once I collet myself I give them a book and send them on their way to have their minds blown. Maybe my toys will be fenced on eBay for 40 bucks or given to their child, “Hey son look what I stole for you today.” For the record my kids have never received any stolen toys. Any way I look at it just sucks. I liked those things but in the end they are just things. What really gets me is now I have to take everything down and put it some place safe, because a place that was my nerd cave away from my nerd cave is now gone. Having my toys at work helped my morale; they were always a great conversation piece and were frequently enjoyed by my colleagues. It just sad b/c now my space is gone, it will become just another space just like the other 200 in my building. If you made it this far thanks for reading. Now off to check eBay and see how much they will cost to replace.

Post subject: Re: Thank You for Taking My Toys...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:34 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Either popularity or a trained thief... never take anything someone would notice gone so all those other things are out.

Seriously though that's bad business, I'm sorry to hear about that! I hope for your sake and the office that they turn up with a perfectly reasonable understanding....

Four things I abide by in this world...
Never mess with
My family
My Food
My Money
or
My Collectibles!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:47 pm 
Daniel Pickett

*sigh* I sympathize and know how you feel. I've had some of my collection pinched from my office too. It's a terrible feeling. I had several JLU figures, including that original Lex Luthor (from the 2 pack that was never re-released) stolen by someone, possibly the night cleaning crew. Now I close my office door every time I step out and the cleaning crew isn't allowed in my office at night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:57 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

The only toy I have at work is the Burger King Iron Man 2 action figure.

I show off my geekdom with various posters, magnets, and stickers.

Of course, it's a little different working in a classroom with 160 kids passing through each day.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that it happened.

Unfortunately, unscrupulous people are in every office and no matter how respected we (and our collections might be) eventually someone decides there home is a better haven for your collectible.

I've had it happen with toys, GN, and even a pair of shoes (although I suspect that last one was a prank gone wrong).

Sorry for the loss of the items and, now, trust in the office.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 am 
3 3/4"

I sympathize. I had a couple of action figures stolen at my old office as well. Even a Star Wars cup I used for water. Nothing of great value but it still sucked. I keep very few things at my office these days. Just enough to ID me as a nerd upon close inspection. :wink:

Best of luck and hope your building has some kind of security or main facilities management. It's always good to report that you've had items stolen without accusing anyone (or any group) directly. Usually, anyone who works in the office after hours gets spoken to and that's often enough to stop it; especially if you know of others who have had missing items from their desks too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:21 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

That sucks-- but I dont trust anyone- and thats why my offices are testament to the Spartan Lifestyle-- there has never been a single bit of personal items at my location-- whether it has been an office or a cubicle.. (and not just toys- no pictures, no sports stuff- nothing..)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:43 pm 
Hat Pooper

I'd never leave anything valuable (monetarily or emotionally) at work when I wasn't around, not that I think anyone would steal anything but because I don't want to risk it. That said, I think everyone has some toy or action figure on their desk. It started when I hired someone new and he brought in a little Joker gashapon. I took in a War Machine. Someone else had a Batman. Now, there are piles of toys hanging off people's monitors, just little things that don't get in the way, but it's fun.

But I wouldn't be heartbroken if someone stole my War Machine, I have others at home. Never risk that which you are afraid to lose.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:25 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

stewbacca wrote:
That sucks-- but I dont trust anyone- and thats why my offices are testament to the Spartan Lifestyle-- there has never been a single bit of personal items at my location-- whether it has been an office or a cubicle.. (and not just toys- no pictures, no sports stuff- nothing..)

Considering the sheer amount of time I spend in my room each week, this would drive me slowly insane. I have to personalize a bit. Blank white walls are depressing both for me and the kids, and they would only have to stare at them ONE hour a day. :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:36 am 
5" Scale

Wow, sorry to hear that. I remember when I was a car salesman someone took my pop tart out of my desk. Turned out to be one of managers. I ended up dressing him down on that one and getting my pop tart returned. One of my pet peeves, chow hounds. Goes back to my Army Ranger days and I don't abide by it or any other form of stealing. Just shows a total lack of respect for people, especially yourself. Hope you get your collectibles back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:34 pm 
Cold-cast

stewbacca wrote:

I agree with Stewbacca on this. Nothing seems to be sacred anymore. People will steal anything that isn't bolted down. It sucks that the world has become this way. The only figure that I will ever have displayed in my office at work, is something that I bought 2 of just for that purpose. Which usually isn't much

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:27 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

I had a Superman maquette on my desk for awhile, but someone at my job pointed out one day how much it was going for on EBay & I decided to take it home. I replaced it with a $10 superman bobble head (I have a superman on all my desks). It's not that I don't trust my co-workers, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:52 pm 
Cold-cast

Krypton1976 wrote:
I had a Superman maquette on my desk for awhile, but someone at my job pointed out one day how much it was going for on EBay & I decided to take it home. I replaced it with a $10 superman bobble head (I have a superman on all my desks). It's not that I don't trust my co-workers, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I totally agree with that. If someone mentioned about how much it was going for on ebay, could have possibly been eyeing it up already. I mean I don't look stuff up on ebay unless I am looking for that item. So what made your do worker decide to look up that maquette? Wise choice to take it home before its too late

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:21 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

Clayface wrote:
I totally agree with that. If someone mentioned about how much it was going for on ebay, could have possibly been eyeing it up already. I mean I don't look stuff up on ebay unless I am looking for that item. So what made your do worker decide to look up that maquette? Wise choice to take it home before its too late

I was talking shop one day with this co-worker and he just looked at the maquette asked me how much it was worth. It's a DC animation maquette of Superman from the Warner Bros animated show. I'd seen them go for a little bit of money on eBay so I just played dumb and said it was worth $50. For some unknown reason, he looked it up on EBay there at the office and saw a couple of them going for about $500 at the time. So he came back and shouted it to the whole office. I guess it was one of those "hey, you've got worth more than you think" things on my co-workers part, and he's got a big mouth. I don't think it was done with any bad intention. Anyway, so then my other co-workers in the office kept asking me "why don't you sell it?" "if it were mine, I'd sell it." it made me feel uncomfortable & I took it home that night.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 am 
5" Scale

:lol: Is this the one Krypton? I went to go get a picture and yours popped up :lol: I have this one, Batman(Which was the bear), Robin and Wonder Woman. I'd like to get the Batmobile, Harley and Joker, but not sure if I'll ever get them. I had the Batman Beyond one, but ended up selling it. I didn't dig the action pose. Unlike Joker, it just doesn't work.