Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: GOTs the Mongul with some pics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:10 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Agreed, the paint ops on my Mongul is pretty high quality. metallic finish a plus!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:56 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Clayface wrote:
I think this one actually did sell out. Well except for what they kept around for exchanges.

I think so too. Why? Because I think probably the only reason they kept it in stock after the SDCC sale was because there were so few left. It wouldn't make sense to pull it if they were almost all sold out. ToyGuru said there was a set base of customers for JLU that bought every figure and I think Mattel calculated what that was and didn't make any more figures than that.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:50 am 
Cold-cast

callmedude wrote:
Agreed, the paint ops on my Mongul is pretty high quality. metallic finish a plus!

Tell you the truth I could have done without the Metallic finish. I don't consider metallic finishes really cartoon accurate. Just like The Booster Gold figure that was actually gold. I couldn't wait for the yellow version to come out. But that's not what I was referring to. I was talking the sloppy paint work on the figures. See quote below.

Dusty wrote:
Luckily my Package was in MINT condition, Then again I DID pay 40.70! But still they only packed a single 2 foot sheet of brown packing paper inside... What?!?... Matty you've got some splainin to do... seriously though, I was lucky. But, lol... Ironically I don't keep all my stuff MOC, I popped Mongul and Co. right out. My Mongul's paint is pretty good, but Batman and WW... bleghh. Batman has a crooked Bat-insignia, and a badly painted cowl, boots, and trunks, WW has no eyelashes and other Paint issues all over. So yeah while I am super happy/grateful about having Mongul... Mattel totally cheaped out and it has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I am still sad JLU is ending... but at the same time I will be happy to not have to spend loads of money on poor quality and cruddy service. Sorry everyone I suppose I am just not a true Blue JLU believer/collector... :( ;)

D

Digital River is by far one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. I am so glad that JLU is coming to an end so I don't have to deal with those clowns anymore for anything. Because I collect nothing else from Mattel. I don't keep any of my figures on the card either, unless I just never got around to opening them & I got a duplicate in a 3 pack or something. But it would be nice after paying all this money for the 3 pack & all this money for shipping, if my packaging actually came to me undamaged. Apparently that is like asking for a miracle to happen.

Fone Bone wrote:
Clayface wrote:
I think this one actually did sell out. Well except for what they kept around for exchanges.

I think so too. Why? Because I think probably the only reason they kept it in stock after the SDCC sale was because there were so few left. It wouldn't make sense to pull it if they were almost all sold out. ToyGuru said there was a set base of customers for JLU that bought every figure and I think Mattel calculated what that was and didn't make any more figures than that.

Wasn't there something else that stayed for sale during the SDCC event? I thought one of the DC Universe figures didn't sell out & they kept it up there until it sold out also. I've always watched the JLU stuff & most of the time you never see an " almost gone " on it. The items just usually go right to Sold Out like Stripe & others did. Then we seen them later at that clearance sale. The fact that Mongul was almost gone for a few days & then went to sold out. Leads me to believe that it did in fact actually sell out.

I was one of those people that bought everything JLU. Not this time around though at these prices, plus tax & shipping. I stated before that I paid for Mongul because that was one of my favorite episodes. But if they think I am going to pay $40 for another pack that has one new character they are out of their minds. First of all I really don't like Guy Gardner. But even if I did, I sure am not going to pay that for him & another Batman, & Martian Manhunter. I probably won't buy the beetle pack either. As I already have Booster Gold & I could care less about a clear repainted Fire.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:24 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Clayface wrote:

Tell you the truth I could have done without the Metallic finish. I don't consider metallic finishes really cartoon accurate. Just like The Booster Gold figure that was actually gold. I couldn't wait for the yellow version to come out. But that's not what I was referring to. I was talking the sloppy paint work on the figures. See quote below.

I am partial when it comes to Metallic Paint, I am not extremely fond of Booster 1.0, I do like Booster 2.0 though, (but ironically I have version 1.0) Anyways, I like Metallic finish if it is A.) what the show intended. and/or B.) Looks good/works. (Mongul looks good but I think the Metallic paint is a little tiny bit too dark, just like the Manhunter's, but overall both Mongul and the Manhunter are really close to the source material/model designs from the show.) But it also does come down to personal preference, ;)

D.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:27 am 
Cold-cast

Dusty wrote:
I am partial when it comes to Metallic Paint, I am not extremely fond of Booster 1.0, I do like Booster 2.0 though, (but ironically I have version 1.0) Anyways, I like Metallic finish if it is A.) what the show intended. and/or B.) Looks good/works. (Mongul looks good but I think the Metallic paint is a little tiny bit too dark, just like the Manhunter's, but overall both Mongul and the Manhunter are really close to the source material/model designs from the show.) But it also does come down to personal preference, ;)

D.

Yeah, it's really personal preference. Just like when some of the Transformers toys would have cartoon version or real life. Usually the metallic was a chase version. I always preferred the cartoon version anyway. Don't get me wrong I am happy with Mongul anyway. The metallic wasn't overly done on him or the Manhunters, so I'm good with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:29 pm 
MINT!

Better late than never.

I think the figure looks great. Love the metallic paint.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:27 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I love that Mongul figure, it is so awesome. I think Eric Roberts did an excellent job voicing him in both JL/JLU episodes. he really made Mongul cooler than he was in some of the comics.
...Also nice picture reksuh, he looks very menacing. :)