Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Sell me on CLUB BLACK FREIGHTER...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:05 pm 
Displays Backwards

AnimateTed wrote:
But buying on the secondary market means two things, even HIGHER costs, and the lack of assurance that we get the line at all!

I never argue with anyone who says "they can't afford it" for me thats the end of the argument. But when people are willing to pay a secondary market mark up and willing to hunt them down, all while they had the opportunity to purchase them at cost, I just scratch my head. I can't understand the logic.

And signing up for the sub assures Mattel that the sales are there in order to trigger production.

With Watchmen, you know who you are going to get. You're going to get the Watchmen! You either want them or you don't I can't imagine having just Ozymandas, and not Comedian. So the subscription here (as opposed to DCUC) is even MORE of a slam dunk. There isn't the fear of unexpected.

With the two images shown, it's clear there is more new tooling on this line than DCUC. Rorshach has a new head, new torso, and new hands. And Dr. M looks like a good reuse of parts. I imagine Night Owl will have a ton of new parts, as will Comedian and Ozzy. I can only imagine how great Silk Specter will look designed by the 4H.

I get all the trepidation around signing up for a Matty sub. I DO! But signing up assures not just you, but everyone involved that we get these figures. High tide raises all boats! or to quote Spock... The good of the many, outweigh the good of the one. ;-)

You actually did a great job on the sell! Matty should hire you!

But I am still not sure if I want high prices and excuses from Mattel - I'd rather have lower prices and no excuses. At first I was all in but the price honestly is the one thing that put me off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:37 am 
5th Horseman

Well, I have no defense for Mattel. For 4 years we have been promised a better shopping experience. And it has been horrid erratic. 90% of my experience has been positive, but that 10% is justifiable caution. However, I love my toys. This is the only way to see the things I want made. If I don't contribute- I have no right to broogle. But as a subscriber- I have EVERY right to call, to complain, to challenge and to harass.

The price is high. It is what it is. These are the times we live in. That's why if the cost is the issue - the argument stops. When the price outweighs the affordability, the line cannot prosper. And if most people can't afford it- it's done.

By comparison, RETAIL Marvel Legends are 20.00, so 25.00 for a very small production run feels proportional.

At the end of the day, people just have to decide if it's worth it for them. But if there is that inking down deep, that you know you'll want a collection of comic-style Watchmen, that fit your DCUC collection, designed by the 4 Horsemen, and you can afford it- then Subscribe. It's better than regret.

I regret not subscribing to Voltron. :-/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 pm 
5th Horseman

AnimateTed wrote:
By comparison, RETAIL Marvel Legends are 20.00, so 25.00 for a very small production run feels proportional.

Where are you looking? Target has them for $15, and I've heard that Toys R Us is a bit higher (around $18). I haven't heard of any place at $20 though.

As a collector line, I think a more fair comparison would be to DC Direct, Diamond Select, or NECA's pricing. $25 is in line with recent Arkham City figures, and Diamond Select's Marvel figures, but a bit higher than many of NECA's releases which are available at retail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:00 am 
active in the community

it sounded like (while listening to toy guru on the latest geek shall inherit podcast) that this line is a done deal. hope that's true!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:55 am 
Resin

According to TG on the Matty forums:

"The WM line is doing just fine."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:39 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

BertDert wrote:

Yeah, I just saw that. So it sounds like we'll at least be getting this sub even though the DC sub doesn't look likely now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 pm 
Displays Backwards

shabbyblue wrote:
BertDert wrote:

Yeah, I just saw that. So it sounds like we'll at least be getting this sub even though the DC sub doesn't look likely now.

Is He-Man failing, too?

Mattel is really beginning to reach unprecedented levels of suck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Last Toyguru reported, He-Man was up to 60% of its goal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:25 am 
An Insider

They really need a 'pile of loot' type option to save on their ridiculous shipping, and ship all 6 together.
$25 is just too much for me already. $25 + $10 shipping is outrageous.