Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Are you subscribing to the 2013 DC Club Infinite Earths?
Yes, and I've already signed up 44%  44%  [ 33 ]
Yes, but I haven't signed up yet 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
No, even though I signed up last year, I will not be renewing this year 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
No, I have never subscribed and won't this year 27%  27%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject: Re: 2013 DC Club Infinite Earths: In or Out?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:48 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Thanks Jim that's a nice bit of matty history there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I think that's pretty accurate, I wasn't following the line as close back then... You can also go over to Matty and read TG's blog on the evolution of the line... http://toyguru.mattycollector.com/ He's written a lot since then, it just hasn't been post at the Matty site. I think you can find all of them at the Facebook page (need to wade through the posts, I don't see a way to filter it to just Matty anymore) and I know they've been re-posted over at the .org.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:53 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

alcinde4 wrote:
Wow. After reading through the last dozen or so posts, I realized that there's no way for Mattel to win with this sub. NOBODY wants the same things. :|

Nail, head.

Go look at the top 10 list thread the wants are ALL over the place. DCUC at retail with 20+ waves of the more popular characters pretty much killed any hope of the bulk of collectors being all in. There are Batman fans and Superman fans and LOSH fans etc all wanting different things. Just look at the Constantine debacle and that is a immensely popular character.

I'm passing again as with this year I don't want the club exclusive and there are very few characters I want so far that they have shown. I'll continue to cherry pick if it goes forward but I'm not signing up.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:12 am 
Aspires to be #1

IF it goes forward, I don't think there will be a chance to cherry pick figures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:57 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

ian5555 wrote:
[quote="alcinde4"Just look at the Constantine debacle and that is a immensely popular character.

I don't think so. C-lister at best.

Unless you were into the Vertigo imprint, and a lot of us weren't.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 am 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
ian5555 wrote:
[quote="alcinde4"Just look at the Constantine debacle and that is a immensely popular character.

I don't think so. C-lister at best.

Unless you were into the Vertigo imprint, and a lot of us weren't.

Agreed. Immensely popular if you were into Vertigo or Swamp Thing. If you weren't, he barely exists.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:33 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

The character has had his own comic book series since 1988 and he is one of the main characters in the new Justice League Dark series. Not to mention he had his own film AND he was listed as the 3rd greatest comic book character in Empire Magazine in 2005.

I didn't mean to drudge up this argument again but the notion he is a c-lister is pardon the term, just laughable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:34 am 
Daniel Pickett

AND he had a (terrible) feature film.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:42 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, that movie wasn't any Constantine I recognize. It was Keanu pretending he knew "demons"...

I like the character. I think he is truly one of the best things to come out of the medium, whether in his time in Swamp Thing, or his time in Vertigo.

He is absolutely going to be one of those surprise favorite figures for me simply because I never would have thought that Mattel (or any toy company outside of DCC) would consider making him.

But I can see why some people just don't get it.

He isn't a Superhero. He's barely a hero. He isn't "4 color". and he really isn't relevant, even in the "new 52".

He's a guy in a trenchcoat. Without his Cigarettes. If it was any other character in any other line, we'd all be crying foul for the "boring" pick.

I like him. And I'm glad we are getting him. But I can see why the younger members (anyone under 35) aren't as keenly excited about this as I am.

Let's just let it go, shall we.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:14 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

He most certainly is relevant in the new 52.

But he is a prime example of the problem with the line, hell with any line after years in production for that matter. So many characters have already been done when you even do a character that has a large fan base following people still complain.

It's to a point where you have done all the A-listers and most of the B-listers so unless you are actually a big fan of the characters or they happen to be a villain of one of your favorites you aren't interested in the figure.

MOTU is having the same problem right now. It's to a point where the only figure probably everyone agrees on is Ram Man.

The collectible lines don't really have the "completist" collector that say a JLU or smaller action figure line has from what I have seen so it's hard to people to go all in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:53 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

What I don't like is the attitude of some people who have a very narrow minded look at the DC Universe who even though they don't care for Constantine refuse to give him the acceptance he deserves. Some people are just obtuse like that. There's a reason why Hellblazer is almost at issue 300 today or that he was pulled over into the New DC52.

It's one thing not to like a character but to complain simply because it's something you don't read, as if the subscription is made for those small niche people. If that's the case then the Metal Men or Doom Patrol are a waste of time. By gone camp that just about ruined DC in the 60s and helped pave the way to their company implosion in the 70s.

You may not like him... cool! But he deserves every right to have a place in the subscription, more so than Saint Walker or Lafleeze. Let's see where those two lame brains are 30 years from now?

And bnjmnrly, I'm 34... how dare you leave me out of the Constantine camp because I'm a year younger! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:00 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Van Statten wrote:
And bnjmnrly, I'm 34... how dare you leave me out of the Constantine camp because I'm a year younger! :lol:

Well Im 2 years over-- and could care less about him-- (of course if they rereleased him in the Marvel Legends line and called him Pete Wisdom- Id probably be jumping for joy)

And if Constantine isn't seen as a C(or D) Lister- then Stephanie Brown has to be a B-Lister, shes had been around for over 20 years now (thanks new 52 :roll: ), been Robin, Batgirl and was the catalyst for one of Batmans big events (not to mention one that led to the deaths of several D list Batman villains and escalated Black Mask and changed the Gotham City Underground)- and even started a huge uproar in the actual universe when she didnt get a case for her uniform in the Batcave..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 am 
Resin

Joe G. wrote:
D'oh! Yeah, I mean Derby. Sorry, man :-) PM me if you like.

I decided to pull the trigger, and I signed up... Thanks for the offer Joe G., but I figured (no pun intended) I might as well do it myself. Here's to hoping we get enough pre-sales!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

LMK when Stephanie Brown has her own comic series that will reach 300 issues. No offense but people's logic on this issue just baffles me.

The character stars in his own comic book and has since the 1980's. If that doesn't scream B-lister at least I don't know what does. He arguably the most successful comic book character created since the 80's except maybe Deadpool and Spawn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I hope you're right about his popularity Ian, because I'm dumping him in eBay first chance I get. He's a boring figure to me and until Brightest Day #24, I never read a book with him in it.

Make a Vertigo sub with him and all the Sandman stuff so I can safely ignore it.

But on the larger point, you are correct: DC fandom is very fractured, so the sub isn't going to please everybody consistently.

I think it's a moot point, anyway. The sub's most likely not happening.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next