Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Are you subscribing to the 2013 DC Club Infinite Earths?
Yes, and I've already signed up 44%  44%  [ 33 ]
Yes, but I haven't signed up yet 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
No, even though I signed up last year, I will not be renewing this year 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
No, I have never subscribed and won't this year 27%  27%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject: Re: 2013 DC Club Infinite Earths: In or Out?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:31 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

ian5555 wrote:
The character stars in his own comic book and has since the 1980's. If that doesn't scream B-lister at least I don't know what does. He arguably the most successful comic book character created since the 80's except maybe Deadpool and Spawn.

Except Id Argue-- Tim Drake, Impulse, Superboy, and Im sure more than a few more if I actually thought about it. Especially once i started going through the X-people roster..Hell I think Jubilee is more successful than Constantine..

Successful is a very arbitrary statement--its pretty much an eye of the beholder concept-- since I really dont think pure number of issues is the qualifier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:21 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

stewbacca wrote:
Van Statten wrote:
And bnjmnrly, I'm 34... how dare you leave me out of the Constantine camp because I'm a year younger! :lol:

Well Im 2 years over-- and could care less about him-- (of course if they rereleased him in the Marvel Legends line and called him Pete Wisdom- Id probably be jumping for joy)

And if Constantine isn't seen as a C(or D) Lister- then Stephanie Brown has to be a B-Lister, shes had been around for over 20 years now (thanks new 52 :roll: ), been Robin, Batgirl and was the catalyst for one of Batmans big events (not to mention one that led to the deaths of several D list Batman villains and escalated Black Mask and changed the Gotham City Underground)- and even started a huge uproar in the actual universe when she didnt get a case for her uniform in the Batcave..

No Stew, I agree Steph deserves her place just as much as he does. I would call them same. Same with Jade or Huntress, they are all on the same level of fandom and should have their place in plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:32 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

stewbacca wrote:
ian5555 wrote:
The character stars in his own comic book and has since the 1980's. If that doesn't scream B-lister at least I don't know what does. He arguably the most successful comic book character created since the 80's except maybe Deadpool and Spawn.

Except Id Argue-- Tim Drake, Impulse, Superboy, and Im sure more than a few more if I actually thought about it. Especially once i started going through the X-people roster..Hell I think Jubilee is more successful than Constantine..

Successful is a very arbitrary statement--its pretty much an eye of the beholder concept-- since I really dont think pure number of issues is the qualifier.

-Main characters in a comic book series that has been going on for nearly 25 years.
-Feature film that profited $130 Million at the Box Office alone not to mention DVD sales.

Let me know when any of those come near to sniffing that sort of success not riding the coattails of bigger stars.

I'll just chalk this one up to Van's argument that people who don't like the character automatically think that because they are not a fan obviously everyone else should not be. I'm not even a big Constantine fan and don't even read his books (Although his character does intrigue me) so I have nothing to gain here defending the character but I can acknowledge that any comic book that lasts 300 issues has a large fan base behind it.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:49 pm 
Aspires to be #1

The argument that he is anything more than an F list character is laughable to me. Most people don't know much beyond Batman and Superman, ask them about Constantine and they'll probably think its some new type of medicine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:56 pm 

j1h15233 wrote:
The argument that he is anything more than an F list character is laughable to me. Most people don't know much beyond Batman and Superman, ask them about Constantine and they'll probably think its some new type of medicine.

I think if you're buying the subscription your knowledge goes a bit deeper than Batman and Superman. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:17 pm 
serves the Otter

The meter has been updated again. It now appears to be around 47-48%, and was at 40% during the last update on Monday. An 8% increase in 4-5 days is nice, but sadly it's still nowhere close to the goal. We're barely going to pass 50% by the deadline I bet. :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

I think if you're buying the subscription your knowledge goes a bit deeper than Batman and Superman. :roll:

Really? I don't remember specifically saying the sub buyers anywhere. I'm sorry not everyone loves this character and some of you do, but outside of hardcore fans, he's not even a blip on the radar. I've voiced my displeasure for this figure but I'm willing to deal with it because I know it'll be the opposite way sooner or later but to argue that he's important to anyone else outside his core group of fans is a waste of time IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:22 pm 
5" Scale

See, but that can be said about anything they've picked J1H. For me, I think St. Walker and Laz are a waste of a slot. Still, I know their importance in the GL storylines and to some of the fans. So I can see both sides of the argument.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:48 pm 
Aspires to be #1

The_Donster wrote:
See, but that can be said about anything they've picked J1H. For me, I think St. Walker and Laz are a waste of a slot. Still, I know their importance in the GL storylines and to some of the fans. So I can see both sides of the argument.

That's what I'm saying though. This isn't just an issue with Constantine, but his supporters have come out strong and IMO are thinking he's more important than he is. I guess we should all just drop it though and try to support one another or none of us will be getting figures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:55 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

That last sentence is the best idea in this thread.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:17 pm 
We're going streaking!

I don't know diddly about Constantine, but I will give him his due as being a long time DC character that somebody might want and should go into the sub, if they have to make him. If I find a spot for him, I guess he can go eith Etrigan and The Phantom Stranger (if we get him).

The rainbow lanterns are what gets me. The whole 52 seems like a Dido, Lee and Johns mess and these are Johns' creations that survived the old universe. Put them in the retail lines where they belong, not in the sub where the spaces should be reserved, IMHO, for anybody pre-52 that no longer fits in what DC wants at retail. I think Wally and Constantine both fit that description. If they want to throw in bigger name supporting characters or rogues, like old school Captain Boomerang, Zsasz, Dr. Polaris, Spoiler, Guardians of Oa Set, etc., great. I love groups, and there are still Legionnaires and JSA characters to be made. Teen Titans too, all of them from different eras. I'd like to see the 90s get a little more respect too.

But why put something in the sub that could work at retail (unless they saw what we saw on the pegs with the Anti-Monitor wave). Those are the two that had me hesitate on the DC sub the longest: more rainbow lanterns and am I going to be unplesantly surprised with more of these in the figures not yet known? What if one of the female figures we are hopeful for turns out to be the Indigo tribe girl? I am sure she will be labeled as, "fan demanded."

I know it is all based on what we want and this thread shows how much we agree and disagree over character selection, but I will take a sub Constantine over another Lantern that isn't green any day. Enough patting Geoff Johns on the back for what he did with rhe GL mythos.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:38 pm 
Collector Inspector

Ah what the heck, if there's any subscribers hatin' on ol' John, give me a call, I'll buy him off your hands.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:40 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:54 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:

He'll never make it there haha.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:34 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Constantine made more $$ than Watchmen and V for Vendetta and it had some very big stars in it. This wasn't some B movie even if the general thought was it sucked. You go to any DVD/Blu Ray section in a retail store and you will see it 9/10 I guarantee it. People are in denial if they think the character is only known to the comic geeks and is anything but a B lister and are just hating.

I'd bet he is more well known than any sub-character released to date or announced.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next