Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:13 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

The only way this could really help someone out is if the DCUC sub fails, but the WM and MOTUC succeeds, so that when the remaining DC figures are released in some kind of non-sub format (assuming any are) they get first dibs on them.

But if you wanted those figures, you probably signed up for the DCUC sub in the first place.

So it's kinda Catch-22. :?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 am 
shirtless hugger

I subscribed to DCIE. I don't think it will happen based on sales, unless Mattel decides to push it through like last year.

However, the meter is over halfway to Level 1, so who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:35 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

In all of this, I can't help but wonder if these dire circumstances are a direct result of upper management at Mattel raising the sub sales expectations bar to unrealistic levels. I know that sub sales are down across the board, but really...who's fault is that? Sales numbers will rise and fall with anything. I think that Mattel's belief that collectors need to be 'all-in' types of Matty buyers is a big part of the problem. I was a Star Wars completist for years. I was apparently in the minority, as most SW figure fans pick and choose. I imagine that most fans of any toy line do just that. Then, you have the kids, who wish to buy the main characters. The kids(via mommy and daddy) buy more than the collectors. Completists are the true minority amongst toy buyers, yet Matty wants all of their toylines to be buoyed by all-in buyers. That is unrealistic and destined to fail. Even the mighty Master of the Universe is on the proverbial chopping block, and that's saying something.

Don't get me wrong: I want all of the Matty subs to move forward and exceed reasonable sales numbers. I am not plunking down any money for any of them, not even the Club Black Freighter. Well, maybe I'll still get that one. I'm thiiis close to buying that one.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:02 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I used to be a Star Wars completist as well. That is until the Clone Wars figures started hitting. I realized I couldn't sustain two separate lines. My other reasons are more selfish, I felt that CW was getting all the attention and the core style figures were getting the short end of the stick. Then the main line pretty much became rehashes and very few new characters were produced. That was when I decided to pick and choose.

With DCUC, we're still getting unique characters for the most part. That is what I like about the sub. We won't be getting endless variations of Batman or Superman that I might not be interested in. Instead, we get figures that would create a whole DC Universe, not just one where it's only populated by heavy hitters. I realize that with the economy, it's not easy to be a completist anymore. Sub-brands such as DC All Stars, Batman Unlimited or DC Unlimited are a good idea as they would allow people to stick with specific lines and still allow them to be somewhat of a completist. Still, I think the subscription option is the best way of getting unique characters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:40 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Looks like we are at about 2/3 the way there...looking pretty grim folks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:02 pm 
serves the Otter

It's at roughly 77% of the goal now. That's more than 2/3 of the way. Still not good enough though. :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:19 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Another update. We're really close with a few hours to go:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 pm 
serves the Otter

Went from 77% to 90%! Wow... we might actually get this after all!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:38 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Here's a complete thermometer summary. Now that we're this close, I'd say all they have to do is raise day-of-sale prices to $25 to make up the difference. Since Watchmen and MOTUC are now $25, that seems doable. If someone didn't subscribe, they probably only want half or less of the figures, and they'd surely pay $25 for a figure every couple of months.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:20:23 PM

Monday, July 16, 2012 10:02:05 AM

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:33:51 AM

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:16:49 PM

Friday, July 20, 2012 10:17:41 AM

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:06:32 AM

Monday, July 30, 2012 2:33:30 PM

Friday, August 03, 2012 10:45:07 AM

Monday, August 06, 2012 10:01:34 AM

Monday, August 06, 2012 5:23:20 PM

Monday, August 06, 2012 11:19:48 PM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:51 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Thanks for the recap JJ.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:52 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:11 pm 

ToyGuru on the He-Man forums 2 hours ago. This is about MOTUC, but the news is subs will be open all night, so a mini-extension.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/sho ... ost3095416

Sub sales will actually be open all night to account for any time zone issues. We'll give you guys the verdict in the am. But in all honesty, we are really there guys! This weekend got a huge boost and sales have been strong all day. I was definately concerned due to such a decrease out the gate. We won't be in "line extension or expansion" mode, but as far as the bare min to move forward at least with 2013 as planned, the fans really stepped up and I hope to have great news in the am!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 pm 
Excelsior!

I think my biggest disappointment in all of this will be the push that MOTUC Classics have received from employees at Mattel, while (from my view), DCIE's future has been left to the likes of Julius Marx. No offense to Julius, but a message or two from a Mattel employee like Toy Guru similar to the MOTUC ones, even if it didn't help the final outcome, would have been nice. It would have been nice to know that someone on the front lines cared about the DC sub; I have no doubt that they care about MOTUC. I know MOTUC is a in-house product, but it's not like the DC License hasn't been paid already in some fashion. At least we got a thermometer :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:51 pm 

The one thing in DCIE's favor is that the license is wasted money if they don't use it. Essentially every DC product they release that is profitable is spreading the cost of the license out, reducing the per-unit cost of the license. With MOTUC, they have no pre-existing costs on the books to worry about if they don't make any toys. They also have to worry about keeping DC happy, because DC doesn't want their license tied up with a company who doesn't make many products. And if Mattel only makes Superman and Batman stuff, DC could make an argument for letting the license on other characters go to someone else, of course less so since DC Direct's already out there. So I imagine management is going to be less strict on the profit necessary to justify a DC product vs. MOTUC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

TRDouble wrote:
I think my biggest disappointment in all of this will be the push that MOTUC Classics have received from employees at Mattel, while (from my view), DCIE's future has been left to the likes of Julius Marx. No offense to Julius, but a message or two from a Mattel employee like Toy Guru similar to the MOTUC ones, even if it didn't help the final outcome, would have been nice. It would have been nice to know that someone on the front lines cared about the DC sub; I have no doubt that they care about MOTUC. I know MOTUC is a in-house product, but it's not like the DC License hasn't been paid already in some fashion. At least we got a thermometer :roll:

Hmmmm....I sense a fellow jaded and bitter DCU fan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next