Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why can't Mattel make a decent 3.75" figure?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:41 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hasbro has plenty of examples. Even Bandai's offerings are better, especially in the articulation department; and small companies like Jazwares (Mortal Kombat) and Gamestars (Assassin's Creed) have some decent offerings that have better articulation. A company as big as Mattel should be doing more with the licenses it has. The 3.75" Dark Knight toys have decent sculpts, but they should have more articulation beyond the more generic 3.75" action figures like the Corps.

Post subject: Re: Why can't Mattel make a decent 3.75" figure?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

The Ghostbusters license. Mattel could have made 3.75" Ghostbusters and a scaled Ecto 1; and possibly even a Ghostbuster Firehouse playset. Jazwares gave their A-Team figures the GMC A-Team van.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:17 pm 
Collector Inspector

They've made good ones. Dc Infinite Heroes Deathstroke, Mr. Terrific, Dr. light, Ravager, Heatstroke, Monsieur Mallah, Public Enemies Batman, Starro, Firestorm, Renegade and a bunch of prototypes that got the axe and many more. But everyone seems to forget them. I guess they're forever the baby that gets thrown out with the bath water, figuratively speaking. late era DC Infinite Heroes deserves more credit than they get.

Mattel just hasn't made consistently good 3.75 action figures that have caught on with retailer's fickle sensibilities. Heck, I CANNOT find any new Marvel Universe and Star Wars this year. I can't find anything in that scale that isn't current movie line toys. I don't really count JLU and Young Justice. I want action figures that move and do things. I thought the Green lantern movie line sculpts were very good.

Mattel seems to be sticking with 6 inch figures. I can only hope the DC Collectables 3.75 inch line catches fire and I can buy them in specialty comic shops and they go beyond the Green Lantern Universe. I also hope they're not fragile and breakable like all my DC direct figures

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:31 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I agree with you, especially with the Mattel not consistently making good 3.75" action figures part. Mattel's 6" offerings are great, but the price for them is not. If the price is going to limit more of what children and collectors can receive in the 6" lines, I think they should make more small scale figure lines so that people can have more complete collections. It would be nice if Mattel could release two packs, like a 19" Anti-Monitor with a 3.75" Superman or something along those lines; something similar to Hasbro's Galactus and Silver Surfer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:41 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

If everything they made 3 3/4 looked like the articulation in Deathstroke that line might still be going!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:49 pm 
Collector Inspector

omg, I said "Heatstroke" up there. I meant Heatwave. :lol:

Van Statten wrote:
If everything they made 3 3/4 looked like the articulation in Deathstroke that line might still be going!

Totally. But, By then it was too late. Mattel was just getting revved up, but the retailers were like "Nah, we're fine". The last 3 packs were dumped in discount stores. If you lived in certain states, you were lucky to find them. The last 6-pack randomly leaked out slowly over a year. Retailers took on one more wave (75th anniversary) which was a mix of cool new stuff (Black Adam, Mr. Terrific, Deathstroke) repaints and redos with better bodies. The original "launch" blew it and Mattel and Toy Guru admitted it. I remember tons and tons of the first 3 packs on clearance shelves. I still see piles of them at cons.

WhiteGrimm wrote:
It would be nice if Mattel could release two packs, like a 19" Anti-Monitor with a 3.75" Superman or something along those lines; something similar to Hasbro's Galactus and Silver Surfer.

That's a good idea, I wish they could find a way to get them out again even if it's a little thing here and there.

DCIH is still my favorite line, but I don't want to look at it with rose colored glasses , they could do better. I know Mattel is comfortable doing "cartoony" lines, but I don't care for the animated look at all. Retailers are so fickle, they give something one chance and then they stop buying before the next wave is due to ship. But I know they must like that price point. The $7.99 action figure on the pegs. Young Justice at $9.99 seemed like a major rip-off.

With all their screaming about material costs these days, the trick for Mattel is to create an articulated 3.75 inch figure of high value while keeping it around $8.00. No way am I buying 5 POA. Yuck. The only reason I bought the GL line is because it had some cool movie sculpts, a few ball joints and some fun constructs.

I'm actually getting sick of buying 6 inch figures. Too expensive and I'm running out of storage space. I'm really choosy now. Whereas, with affordable 3.75 inch figures , I can world-build, team-build and army-build.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:11 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I definitely agree about the GL line. Those figures were better than what was released for the Dark Knight. Articulation wise, better, but not by much.

Also agreeing with you about Mattel constantly emphasizing the fact that material costs keep rising, Mattel should give us a small scale that is more affordable, where we can obtain more characters with recycled sculpts. If materials cost so much, then why not go with the smaller scale? It might not make many collectors who collect the 6" scale happy, but collectors as a whole would be able to get more characters at prices that are not as outrageous.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:18 pm 
Cold-cast

Mattel is a good at marketing when it comes to their mainstream toys, like Barbie, Hot Wheels, etc.....

When it comes to the DC license? They leave so much to be desired. I really hope they lose the license soon, because they really have no clue how to handle it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:34 pm 
Resin

Van Statten wrote:

It might seem like that if you're looking at a picture. But this is the line I loved the most. I have every one (except that weird Earth 2 Robin on the v1 body that showed up on eBay for a little bit), and when I look over these, it's the initial v1 bodies that I love. I cringe at all the rest. Why? Sure they LOOK good, but with how rare and expensive they've become since the line's demise, I barely want to pick them up let alone move a single joint. The elbows and knees are connected by a piece of plastic the width of a fingernail. And as these arrived on shelves, it seems like 1 out of 3 of these would break right out of the package. So yeah, they look good, but they are little statues as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:44 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Just like Marvel Universe! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:37 am 
shirtless hugger

Clayface wrote:
Mattel is a good at marketing when it comes to their mainstream toys, like Barbie, Hot Wheels, etc.....

When it comes to the DC license? They leave so much to be desired. I really hope they lose the license soon, because they really have no clue how to handle it.

I agree. Mattel started out great with the comic style figures like Zipline Batman in 2003 and showed such promise. Sadly the last three waves of that series were shipped overseas and it's been one mistake after another with Mattel ever since.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:43 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Marvel Universe figures are not perfect, but they are selling. The line has a great variety of heroes and villains. I like how Hasbro is putting out the team multipacks. I wish I could obtain a JLA or Legion of Doom pack similar to what Hasbro is doing with the X-Men and Avengers team packs.

If Mattel does not know how to handle the DC license, I wish they would drop the license so Hasbro could pick it up and do something better with it.

I really like Mezco's 3.75" Hellboy and Cinema of Fear figures. Too bad they are not doing more figures in this scale.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:33 am 
Brand Manager

funtime3 wrote:
They've made good ones. Dc Infinite Heroes Deathstroke, Mr. Terrific, Dr. light, Ravager, Heatstroke, Monsieur Mallah, Public Enemies Batman, Starro, Firestorm, Renegade and a bunch of prototypes that got the axe and many more. But everyone seems to forget them. I guess they're forever the baby that gets thrown out with the bath water, figuratively speaking. late era DC Infinite Heroes deserves more credit than they get.

Mattel just hasn't made consistently good 3.75 action figures that have caught on with retailer's fickle sensibilities. Heck, I CANNOT find any new Marvel Universe and Star Wars this year. I can't find anything in that scale that isn't current movie line toys. I don't really count JLU and Young Justice. I want action figures that move and do things. I thought the Green lantern movie line sculpts were very good.

Mattel seems to be sticking with 6 inch figures. I can only hope the DC Collectables 3.75 inch line catches fire and I can buy them in specialty comic shops and they go beyond the Green Lantern Universe. I also hope they're not fragile and breakable like all my DC direct figures

Amen ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:37 am 
Brand Manager

WhiteGrimm wrote:
Marvel Universe figures are not perfect, but they are selling. The line has a great variety of heroes and villains. I like how Hasbro is putting out the team multipacks. I wish I could obtain a JLA or Legion of Doom pack similar to what Hasbro is doing with the X-Men and Avengers team packs.

If Mattel does not know how to handle the DC license, I wish they would drop the license so Hasbro could pick it up and do something better with it.

I really like Mezco's 3.75" Hellboy and Cinema of Fear figures. Too bad they are not doing more figures in this scale.

Fortunatelly Mattel released a JLA vs. Starro box set before it´s gone. Of course it must be costing a lot of $ on Ebay, but it´s really cool IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:51 am 
Former King of Posts

As a toy collector and a former toy employee, I find the clunky "quick change" tool in the Dark Knight Rises line to be embarrassing. Its just such a blatant waste of plastic it hurts to look at it.