Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hanna Barbera | Jazwares
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:34 pm 
Infinite Hero

Yeah, that is not the Jazwares stuff.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:05 pm 
Infinite Hero

These are out! Saw some of the 3" figures today at TRU. Tey had Fred Flintstone, Dino & Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons.

I picked up Fred. Dig him. Been waiting nearly all my life for Flinstones figures.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:00 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Price/Pics??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:18 am 
shirtless hugger

stewbacca wrote:
Price/Pics??

Seconded! Would love to see what these look like. Do they come in multipacks?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well I saw scattered pics on ebay-- have to say-- looking a bit disappointed-- I may be saving money on this line after all-- looks like they all have wide-eyed and goofy grin syndrome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm 
We're going streaking!

They look good to me! I can't wait to find them!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:32 pm 
We're going streaking!

Jeff Cope wrote:
These are out! Saw some of the 3" figures today at TRU. Tey had Fred Flintstone, Dino & Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons.

I picked up Fred. Dig him. Been waiting nearly all my life for Flinstones figures.

Are they doing mixed scales? I saw Space Ghost on eBay and he was listed as 6-Inches and Entertainment Earth has a Fred and Tom & Jerry listed at 6-Inches too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:31 pm 
We're going streaking!

I found these on the way home. I picked up Fred and Dino. Rosie isn't worth anything to be without any of The Jetsons. On the card back they list, The Jetsons (but does that just mean Rosie in this first wave, others later?), The Flintstones (Fred & Dino, so far), Captain Caveman, Secret Squirrel & Morocco Mole, Tom & Jerry and Yogi Bear. Now that I have a couple in-hand... eh.

My initial issues started before I purchased him. Paint apps on Fred are sloppy in the face, so hope you have plenty to choose from. Dinos fared better than Fred and I didn't really look at Rosie. Fred also has a big swivel cut through his lower abdomen, exaggerated greater because it cuts through a couple of the black triangles on his outfit. It's nitpicky, but greater effort in the design could have made a noticeable joint a little less noticeable. Heck, they could have left it out since I suspect most won't use it since it looks odd when the triangles are separated and it doesn't add that much to the figures articulation. At least the cut goes below the tie, so that stays in place.

Sticking with Fred, I think the overall sculpt is fine. If Jazwares likes variants, they could have made a mouth closed version, but this version is definitely Fred. The articulation is interesting. Besides the cut "waist", he has:

- Cut neck joint that is extremely limited. BTW, the head pulls off very easily and cleanly off a thick post;
- Pin & Disc shoulders, fully rotational;
- Single elbows that do a good job within the sculpt;
- Cut wrists. I wonder if something is wrong with mine's left arm because the wrist lines up and looks better turned backwards than normal. I am starting to think that I have two right forearms. I will check omorrow since I will be out that way again;
- Cut joints at the top of Fred's legs;
- Pin ankles

Some of the joints were tight, like the top of the legs, but once you get them all moving, there is plenty of articulation here, especially for a Hanna-Barbera character.

Fred comes with one accessory -- his Water Buffalo Hat. I am embarrased to say that I am not sure how accurate it is; it is brown and I always remember the hat being blue. Did the Water Buffaloes ever wear brown hats? It doesn't matter because Fred looks terrible wearing it. Fred has a hole in the top of his head that the peg in the hat slides into. Unfortunately, it doesn't slide in enough, due to a combination of the grid inside the hat and the head sculpt and the hat just sort of... hovers over his head. From certain angles, I guess it works. From (most) others, it looks really silly.

Overall, I am both disappointed and happy. I am disappointed because I don't think it would have taken much to make Fred really, really good. Take away that cut waist and I think the sculpt with articulation works nicely. And the cut is just so unnecessary. I don't know what's up with the wrists yet, but if mine is fine, it's an odd design on the left wrist. The hat thing just didn't work.

The good begins with the scale; the size is great:

Charlie Brown size would have been nice, but The Peanuts at Fred size would have been great too. He has just the right amount of articulation. No, he will never be able to sit in his car... or anywhere! But his basic design doesn't really allow for it without that animated magic. I love the sculpt and he looks right from every angle. If you can find one with good paint apps, $6.99 is well worth it for me to get a good Fred Flintstone figure. I just need the rest of them -- Wilma (w/ Pebbles), Barney, Betty (w/ Bam Bam). If they toss in Mr. Slate and Hoppy, I'll get them too. Gazoo too!

I don't know if I will do the other H-B properties, although The Jetsons will tempt me the most. Quality will have a say in it too; if I didn't find this one Fred, I probably would not have bought any. And there is still the wrist issue to resolve.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:22 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

The sculpt looks nice but they did wreck it with that waist cut and that would have been so easy to hide by putting a twist under the clothes, it's not like Fred wears pants... The figure looks like he could use a bicep cut or a pin/disc elbow, too. And, yes, the hat is too squat and sits far too high on his head...

http://www.tvacres.com/fraternal_org_buffaloes.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I found the full set of what I think is wave 1 a well today.

The paint apps are horrifying. Just as bad as some of their past offerings.

I do appreciate the articulation and attention to detail and color. I haven't been this excited about find a new toy line at retail in a very long time.

I still think the old D-toys Flintstones line is more fun, but I do enjoy the accuracy and assortment of these toys. Bring on the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:43 am 
We're going streaking!

The waist cut doesn't look any better on the others than it does Fred.

Jim_Abell, they could not put the waist cut under Fred's clothes because his clothes is his body. It was either through the clothes or not at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:18 am 
Loose, Missing Package

TRDouble wrote:
Jim_Abell, they could not put the waist cut under Fred's clothes because his clothes is his body. It was either through the clothes or not at all.

What I meant by that was that the legs could've been attached to a pelvis piece and it would've gone up inside the torso and the point of articulation could've been at the point where the pelvis attached to the body. Still the same amount of tooling, engineering and number of parts but different way of attaching.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:01 am 
shirtless hugger

Looked up some of the 2" line on ebay. They look pretty good but are also expensive. Will have to check them out in person. I'm excited to start collecting these but $22 for 6 little PVC guys is a bit much.

Last edited by bat313 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:59 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Found Yogi today. 

Huckleberry Hound is my favorite. 

The little ones are $6.99 and the big ones are 10.99.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:03 pm 
We're going streaking!

What are the scale of Yogi and Huckleberry Hound?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next