Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need some eBay advice please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Ok so I'll give a brief explanation of the situation, I bought an item off of eBay from a regular person selling an item and it had a tracking number and what not then 1 day I got a message on eBay from the seller asking if I had received the package as according to the tracking number it had been delivered, I did the usual and checked around the outside of the house and then I asked the neighbors if they had seen it and brought it inside for me and well no one had so next I called USPS who had the mail carrier contact me and he told me it was left by the front door and if it isn't there it had most likely been taken. My issue is I don't think the package was insured and I have been keeping in touch with the person who mailed me the package through eBay and they seem like a good person and I'm kinda lost for what to do. The item was not cheap and i don't know if I should eat the cost or is it the responsibility of the person who shipped me the item.

Thanks and any advice is appreciated

Post subject: Re: Need some eBay advice please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:50 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

At that point I think it is on you... there's proof it made it to your doorstep. Even from the delivery man's mouth. I do believe if you opened an eBay case they would side in the Seller's favor. It sucks... and it's a damn shame but as a seller on eBay I would feel that once it's delivered it's not my responsibility.

The PayPal insured is for merchandise that doesn't make it to your destination or items which are not as listed or advertised. This is a case of your word against the tracking number and delivery man.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:57 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Yeah, I think you're screwed.

If you had asked for insurance or if the auction stated that the item was shipped with insurance, you might have a leg to stand on. You choose not to have the guy put insurance on it and it didn't pan out.

Sorry. :(

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:04 pm 

I hear ya VS. this is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me and like you say it got to my location so after that point it's really out of his hands. I think that's why I was having an issue with not knowing what to do but we spoke and worked things out. I actually never opened a case I feel that opening a case should be a last resort, there's more decent people out there than you think and most things can be resolved fairly quickly through a few messages back and forth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 pm 

Strangely enough shellhead you make a good point and it made me realize in all the time I've been buying from eBay I've never actually checked if an item is insured or ask them to insure it. I think most people feel comforted enough when an item is tracked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:50 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Nonnahir wrote:
I actually never opened a case I feel that opening a case should be a last resort, there's more decent people out there than you think and most things can be resolved fairly quickly through a few messages back and forth

I can agree on that but I also feel opening a case protects you as Buyer or a Seller and even both. Just like I don't discuss anything eBay sale related with buyers outside of eBay messages on the site. This way if push comes to shove eBay can look at our correspondence back and forth. I don't see it as giving the other person any lack of credit it's just more like proper procedure in my mind.

If I have a Buyer with an issue, I call eBay and explain everything and ask "What are my rights as a Seller in this situation?" once I understand that I decide what I want to do and how I want to move forward. I then contact the Buyer with my solution to their problem, stating "This is what I was told by eBay, if you don't care for this accord then you have every right to open a claim and let them decide the outcome of this." I find that has kept bickering down to almost zero. 90% of the time people are cool and just want what they paid for but I have experienced a few jerk offs in my time on and off eBay when it comes to buying and selling.

People complain about eBay always playing favorites with the Buyer against the Seller and I have found that is not the case and they can be just as fair when a Seller has done everything by the book.

It's good to hear you were able to work something out with the Seller, Nonnahir, that's always heart warming to hear at the conclusion of eBay transactions that go array.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:46 am 
Cold-cast

My shipping price for ebay items includes tracking & insurance for everything I sell. I don't give the buyer an option if they want to pay for insurance or not. As the seller, I have to cover my @$$! Because yes, 95% of the time paypal will side with the buyer. So at least I can hold the post office responsible for the lost package. I really hate the feeling of selling an expensive item & being out the item & the money.