Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yard sale JLU
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:49 am 
shirtless hugger

Fone Bone wrote:
I am going to be the turd in the punch bowl. I would never in ANY circumstance buy a Volcana or other rare action figure from a yard sale. I'm betting that some poor collector's mother sold that behind his back with no idea of what the real value was. As someone who has a mother who has given away or sold toys of mine in the past I would NEVER want to put another person in that position.

Maybe I'm a square, maybe I'm a goodie-two-shoes, but I would march right up to the person doing the yard sale and tell them they needed their head examined. I've felt the pain of rare toy loss personally and I wouldn't wish that on anybody else.

I'd guess it's more likely that Titan Speck encountered the mythical 'Moms & Kids' that Mattel is always talking about needing to keep a line going. These are toys, after all, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that the garage sale host had purchased it for a child at one point, and the child has since lost interest.

Not sure why you chose to jump to the conclusion that you did, but if you're going to yard sales, finding hard-to-find toys that you want priced at $1, and *not* buying them but instead berating the seller for daring to sell their property for a price they set themselves, maybe you're the one who needs his head examined :-)

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:31 am 
Brand Manager

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
... or the person who had the figures just didn't really care about what they had, hence why it was in the yard sale.

Just because this was bought for a steal at a yard sale does not indicate some shady dealings.

I've sold things at a massive loss just to be rid of them. I've given things away that had no value to me but a ton of worth to someone else.

So have I, but...

I can't help thinking the guy (or girl) had already done away with their JLU collection and chose to keep those particular figures for him/herself. Let's face it, that's a very specific set of figures. And they didn't exactly show up in a vacuum or as singles. So the person who owned it, either cared enough about Volcana to track her down, when most of us couldn’t… or was lucky enough to find her in the wild… as a 3-pack. And since Justice Lord Hawkgirl, Green Arrow and Hawk were conspicuously absent… me thinks that Volcana, Wonder Pig & the Bats/Supes Lords were the sole remnants of a previous "toy purge."

Look… no offense to Titan Speck. He clearly lucked out. And for that we salute him! But mistakes happen at Yard Sales all the time. As a kid, I once found a copy of Justice League #185 (1980) and had to leave it behind because “it wasn’t supposed to be there.” For me, as a kid, that was very devastating. I honestly didn’t know how comics could appreciate in value and thought I had been denied the sale on account of my looks, ethnicity or something to that extent. Then, as an adult, I was lucky enough to find a copy of Avengers Annual #10 at another yard sale. Only this time around, I had been a collector for years and years. So I knew what I had in my hands and decided to point it out to its owner.

So who knows… maybe one day… after years and years of looking… my ship will come in and I’ll finally run into Volcana. Only time will tell, of course. But here’s hoping that I’m still the guy that will ask the owner if he is okay with parting ways with such a figure… you know… as opposed to finally becoming that which every kid hates… Al "The Chicken Man” McWhiggin, also known as the greedy toy collector from Toy Story 2.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:34 am 
Aspires to be #1

Did this thread really end up here?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 pm 
Cold-cast

Fone Bone wrote:
I am going to be the turd in the punch bowl. I would never in ANY circumstance buy a Volcana or other rare action figure from a yard sale. I'm betting that some poor collector's mother sold that behind his back with no idea of what the real value was. As someone who has a mother who has given away or sold toys of mine in the past I would NEVER want to put another person in that position.

Maybe I'm a square, maybe I'm a goodie-two-shoes, but I would march right up to the person doing the yard sale and tell them they needed their head examined. I've felt the pain of rare toy loss personally and I wouldn't wish that on anybody else.

:roll: Thank you so much for the moral lesson and making sure I know just how much better than me you are. I have definitely learned to insult a person for daring to sell their property at a price I think is too low.

I guess I'll have to say this again, perhaps a little clearer. I bought the box for the godzilla and joe parts. I had no idea that the JLU or even Lone Ranger was in it until I got home. So I wasn't skipping away while twirling my mustache with an evil laugh.

And I'm pretty sure they guy knew what was in there anyway. I talked to him for a while about the godzilla and he said he was cleaning out his collection to mainly focus on star wars and the big 1/6 joes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:09 pm 
Resin

j1h15233 wrote:

I could NOT agree more.

Its a great story, kudos on the luck and dont let any of the "boo whooers" crush your groove Titan.
And Im saying that as someone whos parents threw or gave away 95 % of my Star Wars collection and 20% of my GI Joe collection during one of our many moves from base to base in this country. At the time I didnt care because I didnt play with them anymore and as my mother said they may bring happiness to some other kid.
Sure I wish I had them now and they werent played with..and they were in their boxes or on cards and people in hell want ice water too.

Enjoy your luck, play the lotto and display Volcana proudly.

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:14 pm 
5" Scale

Don't let the cynical get you down Titan. I actually traded with someone on this or another board a extra figure I had for Volcana. Seems after I hooked up a buddy in Ireland, I never saw her again and thought I would never have her in my collections. It took me a bit, but I finally got her and a couple more JLU figures in trade for something on my trade list. This is what is great about being a part of a community where collectors help other collectors out. It isn't about the monetary value of something and if it is, those members don't tend to stick around too long. So it is nice hearing your story about stumbling across a box of goodies. Thanks again for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:43 pm 
categorically opposed

j1h15233 wrote:

I'm more surprised that you're actually surprised.

It's BYOS around here - Bring Your Own Soapbox.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:17 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Titan Speck wrote:
:roll: Thank you so much for the moral lesson and making sure I know just how much better than me you are. I have definitely learned to insult a person for daring to sell their property at a price I think is too low.
It's funny that you think I'm trying to say I'm a better person than you. People sure have been telling everyone else what I've been thinking instead of asking me.

As for me "insulting" the person, it's called hyperbole and I would never use those words or such a rude tone in real life but gently point out what a valuable toy they had. You should read up on hyperbole sometime. It's going to kill all of us. :P

The reason I didn't want to post what I did is because I KNOW my opinion would be unpopular and that practically no-one would agree with me. I can hardly claim to be some morally superior person to a group of people who see nothing wrong with doing something like that. I'm probably the one with the problem. But I still felt the need to state it after that many "attaboys" were given that implied it was a great thing to do. However I must eat crow over this:
Quote:
I guess I'll have to say this again, perhaps a little clearer. I bought the box for the godzilla and joe parts. I had no idea that the JLU or even Lone Ranger was in it until I got home. So I wasn't skipping away while twirling my mustache with an evil laugh.

And I'm pretty sure they guy knew what was in there anyway. I talked to him for a while about the godzilla and he said he was cleaning out his collection to mainly focus on star wars and the big 1/6 joes.

This was all you needed to say to put me in my place. I should have my reading comprehension checked after rereading that first post. I apologize for that. There was no need to insult me to get that.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:06 pm 
Cold-cast

Fone Bone wrote:
It's funny that you think I'm trying to say I'm a better person than you. People sure have been telling everyone else what I've been thinking instead of asking me.

What's funny is that nobody needs to ask. It's pretty plain in what you post.

Quote:
I'm betting that some poor collector's mother sold that behind his back with no idea of what the real value was. As someone who has a mother who has given away or sold toys of mine in the past I would NEVER want to put another person in that position.

Maybe I'm a square, maybe I'm a goodie-two-shoes

The implication right there is that I swindled the guy to get what I wanted which is something you would never do. IE "I'm better than you".

I am quite aware of hyperbole. My point was to fire right back at the implication that I'm a swindler. Intended or not your entire post was dripping with it. That is every bit as big an insult to me as I gave you. At the end of the day, it's no skin off my nose. It's just the net after all. However I will always defend myself and will not apologize for it. If you didn't mean it that way, then fair enough. It certainly reads that way though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:48 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Good thing that the traffic light was red, or else you would have driven right past. That is a classic find. Congrats.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:53 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Titan Speck wrote:
What's funny is that nobody needs to ask. It's pretty plain in what you post.

The implication right there is that I swindled the guy to get what I wanted which is something you would never do. IE "I'm better than you".

I am quite aware of hyperbole. My point was to fire right back at the implication that I'm a swindler. Intended or not your entire post was dripping with it. That is every bit as big an insult to me as I gave you. At the end of the day, it's no skin off my nose. It's just the net after all. However I will always defend myself and will not apologize for it. If you didn't mean it that way, then fair enough. It certainly reads that way though.

I apologized already for misreading your post. Why are you still steamed? Am I missing something?

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:00 am 
Cold-cast

B1tches in other collector communities " cough " Old School BMX " cough " call this type of garage sale find a " score " They post threads dedicated to gloating about how they completely, knowingly ripped someone off!

From reading the post, I am absolutely sure Titan was not salivating as he walked away knowing that he screwed someone out of a $100 toy for $6 like the losers on those sites. I think he just share the fact how he had a lucky day when it came to JLU collecting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:37 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Clayface wrote:
B1tches in other collector communities " cough " Old School BMX " cough " call this type of garage sale find a " score " They post threads dedicated to gloating about how they completely, knowingly ripped someone off!

From reading the post, I am absolutely sure Titan was not salivating as he walked away knowing that he screwed someone out of a $100 toy for $6 like the losers on those sites. I think he just share the fact how he had a lucky day when it came to JLU collecting.

I don't understand this... Yes, Titan is not gloating but what if he was... even in the smallest way possible... is that wrong? He found a Volcana at a yard sale, one of the most unlikely yet likely places to find something from someone who just didn't care evidently. If someone doesn't take the time to look into what they have in their possession why should we feel remorse for it? Why should they be a victim?

If I buy a lot of Star Wars figures and I'm too lazy to look into them and I flip them to someone here who knows more than me, gives me my asking price yet finds something in the lot worth 10 times what I asked... more power to them... I'm the idiot not a victim in that scenario and I will know to take a closer look next time.

It's just business.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:16 am 
Cold-cast

Van Statten wrote:
I don't understand this... Yes, Titan is not gloating but what if he was... even in the smallest way possible... is that wrong? He found a Volcana at a yard sale, one of the most unlikely yet likely places to find something from someone who just didn't care evidently. If someone doesn't take the time to look into what they have in their possession why should we feel remorse for it? Why should they be a victim?

If I buy a lot of Star Wars figures and I'm too lazy to look into them and I flip them to someone here who knows more than me, gives me my asking price yet finds something in the lot worth 10 times what I asked... more power to them... I'm the idiot not a victim in that scenario and I will know to take a closer look next time.

It's just business.

Now you've opened up 2 cans of worms here :lol: I will try to comment on both of them.

First scenario. I was just making a statement to all people that want to act like Titan is a criminal because he bought a $100 toy at a yard sale for $6. He really didn't even know what was in the box & that he was getting over on someone. I really didn't feel he was gloating about his find. Just sayin.....

But let's say he was..... I have to agree that many people will see it as some kind of a moral issue. They would feel it's not right to get over on someone like that. Or they could just be lying & actually jealous that they didn't stumble onto that find :lol:

Onto your next scenario.....
If you were selling 100 figure lot of Star Wars figures on here say for $200. In that said lot was a Yak face, Blue Snaggletooth, & Rocket launching Boba Fett. Since we are all collectors of some sort on here, I would expect someone to mention to you that there is $1000 or more worth of figures in those three alone. Because if you sold these for the original agreed price of $200 & then saw the Boba fett a few days later on ebay for $2000. I'm sure that would leave a pretty bad taste in your mouth. I think you would feel that someone got over on you. After all every one could use a spare $2000 or so.

Before anyone comments about the Boba Fett telling me that figure doesn't exist or something. This is just a hypothetical situation I made up with what I remember being rare when it comes to Star Wars collecting. I always remember that figure being the holy grail to Star Wars fans. If they ever existed is unknown to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:22 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Clayface wrote:
I think you would feel that someone got over on you.

I can honestly say no. Been there, experienced it. It is a bad taste in anyone's mouth but it's your own fault in the end. I can't blame the other guy for being sharper than I. I buy and sell comics almost everyday. You got to know your business. The only time I feel it is a moral issue if you had those Star Wars figures and came to me to ASK me about them and I purposely tell you they are nothing... NOW that is wrong. That I will not abide by.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next