Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU 8/15/12 the Second of the 6 LAST 3-packs. ST/AQUA/MI
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:03 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Volcanas head sculpt is awful, there's no denying it. I have the figure, but I won't be selling it until I can make a more accurate custom using a head cast from Stew for the hair and a better JLU female face.

And for the record, I think that Giganta is really bad too, both the small version and the larger one. There was a custom by Casimir that used the 10" Wonder Woman head and that is way better than the one we got. So I'll be copying that recipe at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:56 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

elvis8batman wrote:

And for the record, I think that Giganta is really bad too, both the small version and the larger one. There was a custom by Casimir that used the 10" Wonder Woman head and that is way better than the one we got. So I'll be copying that recipe at some point.

Many times in the end Casimir's customs are better than the original Mattel figures. Of course he has a much more hands on approach than Mattel since all his stuff is hand painted not massed produced in a factory. Just saw his Killer Croc custom the other day. Beyond perfection.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:48 pm 
Cold-cast

whakojacko1976 wrote:
elvis8batman wrote:

Many times in the end Casimir's customs are better than the original Mattel figures. Of course he has a much more hands on approach than Mattel since all his stuff is hand painted not massed produced in a factory. Just saw his Killer Croc custom the other day. Beyond perfection.

I've said this many times & actually PMed Casmir to tell him when I finally joined this forum. Casmir has amazing skills for capturing the Timmverse likenesses. It has nothing to do with the paint application, it is the sculpting itself. You can strip the paint off a Mattel figure & put it side by side with any Casmir cast. Casmir's sculpting will beat any Mattel figure without a shadow of a doubt. Too bad Mattel didn't hire some of our well known customizers. We would have had much better figures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:42 am 
Aspires to be #1

While Casimir is amazing (and I've tried several times to hire him!), that Croc is a sculpt from another customizer I believe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:40 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

The great thing about Casimirs Giganta is that he used the 10" Wonder Woman as a base. The face on that figure is much nicer and far more on model compared to the official one from mattel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:34 am 
Cold-cast

j1h15233 wrote:
While Casimir is amazing (and I've tried several times to hire him!), that Croc is a sculpt from another customizer I believe.

That Croc is not even a figure, it was done by a customizer who makes maquettes. They are all 6 to 10 inches tall.

http://home.comcast.net/~cjoefish/BTASM ... hotBig.JPG

But Casmir has made his own Killer Croc custom. The thread is on the Custom Justice forum. Besides look at all the other amazing characters that he has sculpted & have been casted by Stew or Glassman. He has made figures that we would probably never see in plastic. They all look exactly like their animated counterpart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:16 am 
Aspires to be #1

Clayface wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

That Croc is not even a figure, it was done by a customizer who makes maquettes. They are all 6 to 10 inches tall.

But Casmir has made his own Killer Croc custom. The thread is on the Custom Justice forum. Besides look at all the other amazing characters that he has sculpted & have been casted by Stew or Glassman. He has made figures that we would probably never see in plastic. They all look exactly like their animated counterpart

I know what Croc you're talking about. Casimir did not make that, he just painted it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:40 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Clayface wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Those are seriously awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:32 pm 
AFA Graded

Sold Out.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:28 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
Sold Out.

Excellent. Like I said earlier, it's great Mattel was FINALLY able to get the numbers right for JLU even if it was only for the final figures. Yeah, the line might have lasted longer on Matty had they figured out the formula earlier but I wouldn't have been happy about having to pay $30 per pack each time. This is a one time deal for me but I AM glad Mattel isn't taking a loss on these things.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:46 am 
Cold-cast

Backward Galaxy wrote:
Clayface wrote:

Those are seriously awesome!

Yes I agree. I would love to have all of them.

Fone Bone wrote:
Excellent. Like I said earlier, it's great Mattel was FINALLY able to get the numbers right for JLU even if it was only for the final figures. Yeah, the line might have lasted longer on Matty had they figured out the formula earlier but I wouldn't have been happy about having to pay $30 per pack each time. This is a one time deal for me but I AM glad Mattel isn't taking a loss on these things.

I still think in Mattel's eyes they didn't sell out quickly enough. I agree, I would not be willing to pay $30 a pack if this continued. Anything that came with duplicates of the original 7 & 1 new figure, I sure wouldn't buy for that price. There would be a lot of picking & choosing waiting for the figures I actually want & feel were worth $30. I guess it's no different than what I'm doing with these final packs, as I won't be buying the Guy Gardner or Blue Beetle packs. Blue Beetle wasn't on the toon & even if Guy Gardner was, I really hate the character & he comes with 2 duplicates of the original 7. Bats may be Superfriends deco. But it's just another Batman that I could care less about purchasing to me.

I'll actually be shocked if the Guy Gardner pack sells out with Guy being the only new figure in that pack. Mattel better throw in Aquaman & Volcana instead of Bats & Jonnz! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:46 am 
Displays Backwards

Clayface wrote:
Blue Beetle wasn't on the toon & even if Guy Gardner was, I really hate the character & he comes with 2 duplicates of the original 7. Bats may be Superfriends deco. But it's just another Batman that I could care less about purchasing to me.

I'll actually be shocked if the Guy Gardner pack sells out with Guy being the only new figure in that pack. Mattel better throw in Aquaman & Volcana instead of Bats & Jonnz! :wink:

I agree about the repeats, they suck and those slots could have been used much better, especially with the wonky distribution on this line. $30 plus shipping for one decent figure is a terrible deal, even if Mongol was fantastic.

And I love Guy, so I put him as my avatar to battle your hate! Gardner vs Clayface, one of them or all four or five of them, I don't care. It's gonna be the comics event of 2013!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:49 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Clayface wrote:

I still think in Mattel's eyes they didn't sell out quickly enough. I agree, I would not be willing to pay $30 a pack if this continued. Anything that came with duplicates of the original 7 & 1 new figure, I sure wouldn't buy for that price. There would be a lot of picking & choosing waiting for the figures I actually want & feel were worth $30. I guess it's no different than what I'm doing with these final packs, as I won't be buying the Guy Gardner or Blue Beetle packs. Blue Beetle wasn't on the toon & even if Guy Gardner was, I really hate the character & he comes with 2 duplicates of the original 7. Bats may be Superfriends deco. But it's just another Batman that I could care less about purchasing to me.

Agreed, but when you said "I could care less" that means you still care, ;)
Anyways, I hope everyone who wanted this pack got it. I myself really did not want this pack at all. IMO, the sculpts are horrible off model except for Static's body, (but the head sculpts on all are either too big or just plain bleghh.)
I am excited to get Vandal Savage next month, then I will only need the Firefly Pack and I am done with JLU, (it's sad, but for the crappy high prices these are, I will also be happy for the line to end.)

D.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:52 pm 
Cold-cast

BCYa wrote:
I agree about the repeats, they suck and those slots could have been used much better, especially with the wonky distribution on this line. $30 plus shipping for one decent figure is a terrible deal, even if Mongol was fantastic.

And I love Guy, so I put him as my avatar to battle your hate! Gardner vs Clayface, one of them or all four or five of them, I don't care. It's gonna be the comics event of 2013!

:lol: Sorry, Just never was a fan of Guy Garner at all.

Dusty wrote:
Agreed, but when you said "I could care less" that means you still care, ;)
Anyways, I hope everyone who wanted this pack got it. I myself really did not want this pack at all. IMO, the sculpts are horrible off model except for Static's body, (but the head sculpts on all are either too big or just plain bleghh.)
I am excited to get Vandal Savage next month, then I will only need the Firefly Pack and I am done with JLU, (it's sad, but for the crappy high prices these are, I will also be happy for the line to end.)

D.

Nope when I typed I could care less, that WAS NOT code for " I really want this figure " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing else I want until the Toyman/Firefly pack. I do not care about Dr Destiny at all either out of that pack. But Firefly & Toyman are must haves!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:59 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Clayface wrote:
Nope when I typed I could care less, that WAS NOT code for " I really want this figure " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing else I want until the Toyman/Firefly pack. I do not care about Dr Destiny at all either out of that pack. But Firefly & Toyman are must haves!

I know, I was just being a jokster know it all. ;)

D.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next