Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The fundamental flaw in Matty.com's business plan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:35 am 
Cold-cast

Jim_Abell wrote:
From what I read into the line planning from the Q&As and listing to Scott in interviews (he's on the .org's Roast Gooble Dinner a lot, usually a pretty good listen) the line is being planned now but nothing is neccessarily set until right before SDCC. Legally they can't go "subscribe now and we'll tell you how much you're going to pay later", so they're using the time to figure out just how much can be added in addition to the monthly figures and how much they can add outside of the subscriptions. MOTUC went from 1 sub figure, 12 figures, 4 variants and 4 "big" items in the sub this year to 1 sub figure, 12 figures and 4 variants and/or "big" items next year. DCIE went from a 1 "big" sub figure, a regular figure each month and 1 "big" figure every three months to 1 "big" sub figure and one regular figure per month. They're asking people to sign-up for a year's worth of product (6 to 9 months worth not even being seen or listed at the time of sale) and that can be a tough sell. Honestly, I think that they do need that time both to make a big presentation at Comic-Con and to figure out exactly how much people are willing to spend on a non-essential product in a year's time.

Okay I get what you said about the resellers. I still think it hurts more than helps, but that's neither here nor there.

As for the sub, I get what you're saying. And I do listen to the RGD, but there is no reason subs can't be opened sooner. I only used Christmas since it would help sales to be able to say "buy a sub for a loved one" or some such. I totally can get why they might have to wait until after new years for (god I hate laywers) legal reasons. However are you saying that they won't know how many figures and large scale items will be included in the 2014 until just before SDCC 13? If they do, then they already know how much to charge people. It will be determined based on how many sku's they can get. Scott has said over and over that prices won't be going up (I believe) until 2015.

Besides, opening subs early should cost nothing and only help sales. After all, Scott has said it shouldn't matter what they show because they expect sub holders to want everything anyway. The point is it could easily pick up new subers while costing them nothing. It might avoid the "line is dying buy a sub or ten" drama next year.

But as always, I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:48 pm 
active in the community

Doesn't Mattel always claim that it takes 2 years to produce a figure start-to-finish? If they are really telling the truth, they ought to know before SDCC what the line-up for the next year is going to be, as at minimum they've already spent 7 months on the December figure. By that point it would be awful late to scrap the figure and come up with something else.
In the Ask Matty for today Mattel said they don't announce the full line up because they don't want to upset fans when they end up having to cut something. What they don't seem to realize is that by not announcing the line up before they put subs up for sale they lose sales. I'll never commit to pay out a couple hundred bucks when I know less than half of what I am actually buying. It's not worth the risk of the unannouced figures being stuff I don't want especially if I don't want a good portion of what has been announced. As it stands for the 2013 sub the only figures I am mildly interested in are Wally West and Mallah. I get that they can't please everyone, but those two aren't worth commiting $360+.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:32 pm 
shirtless hugger

MoMoney wrote:
They're not trying to be an online store. They're trying to be an Internet outlet for limited edition product that would not do well with a large production run.

That's why they're now leaning more toward the subscription-only model. There are going to be many figures that don't have any day-of stock in 2013. They don't want leftover stock that they can't get rid of. They essentially want to be a made-to-order business.

Yes, I agree. This is a good point.

Mattel is trying to reach a niche audience that's willing to spend a little extra for better-quality toys. That's why the company included the forums as part of the Matty site. It's not a huge marketing effort, but I think Mattel did a decent job, considering there's probably very little money in the budget for it.

Jim makes good points about the subscriptions, too. There are legal reasons and timing issues behind a lot of the decisions Mattel makes. Because of the nature of manufacturing goods in China, Mattel needs a little flexibility to maneuver. Like newspaper and magazine subscriptions, the Mattel subscriptions are intended for buyers who are "all in." The consumer has to trust that quality goods will be delivered each time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:33 am 
Cold-cast

dpdodson wrote:
I don't think it's ever a good long-term strategy to pleeple off your customer base so consistently. And matty.com really depends on us collectors and not the "moms and kids" of the brick and mortar store. I know that once JLU ends it's unlikely that I will purchase much from Mattel and certainly not from matty.com.

+1 Although they have improved drastically since the early days, it's still an unpleasant experience dealing with them for the most part. Paying ridiculous amounts for these figures, shipping & tax, then only to have my figures come in a box with a crumpled up piece of paper & be damaged? I used to look forward to what new items would be on matty. After years of dealing with them, bow I just want it to end!

GregNYC wrote:
Yes, I agree. This is a good point.

Mattel is trying to reach a niche audience that's willing to spend a little extra for better-quality toys. That's why the company included the forums as part of the Matty site. It's not a huge marketing effort, but I think Mattel did a decent job, considering there's probably very little money in the budget for it.

Bwahahahahaha! Sorry I just have to laugh when you say " better quality toys on Matty. " I have to strongly disagree with that statement. I don't know about anything else. But as a JLU collector, besides Lobo there is really nothing better quality about anything. If they were better quality, My Bane would actually be bigger, Harley Quinn would not have those stupid heels & have her pixie boots, I kind of think scarecrow is too short. Micron is a repaint with a new head, Aquagirl has those stupid heels with bare feet, even though now they made bare feet that they could have just used from Gypsy, need I go on? There is nothing better about any of the figures on Matty. It's the same repainted crap, made from the same bucks with maybe a different head that we were buying at retail for a third of the price. At least Toyman, Mongul & Future Superman are newly tooled bodies. But lets not forget that these last JLU figures were actually retail items that were supposed to come out 2 years ago. Everything on Matty has been just junk with a new head sculpt. For the prices we pay for this crap on that site, everything should be newly tooled figures! " Oh but there's not enough budget/interest for newly tooled figures " I even read that about the subs all the time because people want Doomsday. Well then quit charging us so much for junk!