Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Young Justice 2-Pack Pre-Order Canceled by Matty
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:31 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Shellhead wrote:
I don't want Vertigo

We all know I'm a huge Vertigo fan... I won't get into that there's been Vertigo characters in DCUC already (Doom Patrol, Wesley Dobs Sandman from the Sandman Mystery Theater series, Zatanna and so on...) Even Swamp Thing didn't start as a Vertigo book.

But I think the two 'Vertigo' characters that matter have already been made. That being Alec and John... unless you want to lump Death into that then there remains one more... but I think that avenue is finished.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:34 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Funtimes, it was similar to a Kickstarter, but it wasn't a kickstarter. For one thing, Kickstarter backers know how much needs to be raised in order to meet the goal. Mattel considers that propriety information. Hence, the not so popular thermometer which doesn't have any hard numbers attached to it.

If Mattel would just come out and say we need 10,000 orders in order for it to go through at this price, 15,000 at this lower price, and 20,000 at this best price, things would go much more smoothly.

But I doubt we'll ever get that kind of hard data.

But I'll play along: What would be that "home run" figure?

Doomsday? A lot of people want him "done right." Other people are perfectly happy with the one we got. I could use him a little bigger, but I really don't want to pay $30 plus shipping to get another one.

Granny Goodness? I'd like her, but would a Batman fan? She's a fat, old woman in a goofy suit. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for her. Maybe $25.

Huntress? I think she'd work, but then people would be running "she's good enough for retail, why do I have to order her online?" I"d pay $30 . . . grudgingly.

Who's left than a lot of collectors are clamoring for?

I wanted Ms. Martian. I didn't want Superboy. They shouldn't have been bundled. MM by herself would have gotten my money.

Not enough of us are completists anymore.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Shellhead wrote:

What would be that "home run" figure?

Doomsday? A lot of people want him "done right." Other people are perfectly happy with the one we got. I could use him a little bigger, but I really don't want to pay $30 plus shipping to get another one.

Granny Goodness? I'd like her, but would a Batman fan? She's a fat, old woman in a goofy suit. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for her. Maybe $25.

Huntress? I think she'd work, but then people would be running "she's good enough for retail, why do I have to order her online?" I"d pay $30 . . . grudgingly.

Who's left than a lot of collectors are clamoring for?

I wanted Ms. Martian. I didn't want Superboy. They shouldn't have been bundled. MM by herself would have gotten my money.

Those are perfect examples of the types of reactions that 95% of all the figures or assortments announced get on here and on so many other message boards.

Shellhead wrote:

and at this stage in the game that is exactly what Mattel needs us to be. Not gonna happen tho :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:44 pm 
Cold-cast

Shellhead wrote:

That's all matty is interested in though. Like TG said in justifying only releasing a few names in MOTUC, it should be enough. If not, they'd rather close up shop apparently.

Also edited to add It's not completely mattys fault either. DC bears a hunk of blame if their lower tier characters don't draw enough interest.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:41 pm 
Cold-cast

Shellhead wrote:
Correct. You are a JLU purist. I'm not. I LOVED the shows. Some of the best plots/dialogue DC characters have ever spoken. However, I don't love the style. I prefer the Young Justice animated style over JLU. Someone else might prefer the simplicity of the various Super Friend incarnations. Others like DCD's artist inspired choices. And so on (I liked the Alex Ross Justice figures, but the Ed Mcguiness line was too cartoony for me).

Mattel just can't win.

I collected Young Justice also. I like the toon, but I feel Mattel kind of screwed us over by giving up too soon on the YJ line. But I am saying if I had to choose one & only one line, it would be hands down Timmverse animated style for me. So I guess that I am a JLU purist. All of those cartoons just have so much meaning to me. BTAS was just incredible when it first hit the scene. STAS followed although not as good, it did get better towards the end. Then JLU, the storylines were just so incredible IMO.

For the record, Alex Ross is amazing & any figure that represents his work is greatness in my book. I thought those figures were made by DC Direct?

funtime3 wrote:
Fine, you only want JLU timmverse stuff. but I've been talking about 6-inch figures in this case, so what's up?

So Mattel shouldn't make a certain toy because there's so many different views on what people want? I don't understand. When has that been an issue? They shouldn't have made Swamp Thing last summer because there might have been a couple of people out there that wanted Black Lantern Swamp Thing?

They could do a pre-order for a JLU thing too, y'know, but I thought JLU collectors pretty much got everything they wanted from the show? Or am i wrong? And honestly, I'm talking about something nice. A Homerun. Sculpted by the 4H. Not putting JLU down but, y'know what I mean.

I just think DC Classics has still held it's demand (although I think it's waning due to cost) and that's why I use it as an example. I assume JLU's demand is down (due to what TG has said). That's why I seem to never agree with people here on Mattycollector's first 2-packs. DCUC was only rising in popularity when they took the those 2-packs off the site. If you wanted one, there was no place for it . You had to spend $80 on ebay. supply was not meeting demand. In business, demand does not begin on 9 am on sale day and end in an hour. But sometimes , I think in Mattycollector's bizarre world, it does.

I think my ideas are well thought out and rational, if people aren't agreeing with me on a little bit of what I'm saying, then I think they're doing it on purpose. :wink:

I'm saying if I had to choose one DC line & only one, it would be Timmverse. But I do collect other lines. These particular 6 inch figures for preorder of YJ were a bust IMO. They weren't worth spending $60 to me. I wished everyopne who wanted them luck in obtaining their goal in another thread. They just weren't for me because of the reasons that I stated. But tell you the truth the 6 inch line in general is getting pretty expensive to keep up with even at retail. Let alone Matty's over inflated prices. SO it would have to be something pretty special for it to gain my interest at over $30 a figure. I can think of a lot of better things to spend that money on then a piece of plastic. I am not even buying all of the last JLU 3 packs. Because some of them, aren't just worth it to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 am 
Fugitive Dust

I passed on these. I am more interested in the four inch line and would have ordered those for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 am 
Collector Inspector

Make me a JLU/Timmverse style DC figure and I'm on it, whether they were on the show or not.

Granny Goodness, Owlman and johnny Quick, Kai-Ro and bikini Barda, Dick Grayson Robin, Circe, Mera, Hippolyta, Sgt. Rock, The Royal Flush Gang. Bring em on.

Zauriel, Dan Garrett Blue Beetle, Jemm Son of Saturn, Flying Fox, Saint Walker, Detective Chimp, the Freedom Fighters, Dr. Sivana, Psimon, Ambush Bug. Bring em on.

Where would they all go? In the world's ulitmate diorama: The Monitor's satellite!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:18 pm 
Cold-cast

Shellhead wrote:
Funtimes, it was similar to a Kickstarter, but it wasn't a kickstarter. For one thing, Kickstarter backers know how much needs to be raised in order to meet the goal. Mattel considers that propriety information. Hence, the not so popular thermometer which doesn't have any hard numbers attached to it.

If Mattel would just come out and say we need 10,000 orders in order for it to go through at this price, 15,000 at this lower price, and 20,000 at this best price, things would go much more smoothly.

But I doubt we'll ever get that kind of hard data.

That's the problem. I don't understand why it is such a big secret how many presales they need for something to go through. Or like these last JLU packs, it's a limited production, but a big secret how many were made. Why can't any of these numbers be known to us?

tuning4k wrote:
Make me a JLU/Timmverse style DC figure and I'm on it, whether they were on the show or not.

Granny Goodness, Owlman and johnny Quick, Kai-Ro and bikini Barda, Dick Grayson Robin, Circe, Mera, Hippolyta, Sgt. Rock, The Royal Flush Gang. Bring em on.

Zauriel, Dan Garrett Blue Beetle, Jemm Son of Saturn, Flying Fox, Saint Walker, Detective Chimp, the Freedom Fighters, Dr. Sivana, Psimon, Ambush Bug. Bring em on.

Where would they all go? In the world's ulitmate diorama: The Monitor's satellite!

Mattel needs completists. They need all of us ( & then some ) to buy multiples of every figure that comes out. They already know this won't happen with JLU.

You are going to have so many opinions on this. At these current prices many collectors will not buy everything, they will pick & choose.

I would have NO interest in purchasing a figure at these current prices that was not on the show. Hence why Blue Beetle & Guy Gardner 3 packs are easy to pass on by me. At over $40 a 3 pack, I have many better things to spend that money on. I'll even pass on show accurate figures if I don't really want them at that price. Pick & choose. What I would buy is all the figures that were on STAS TNBA, Batman Beyond. I have had those figures from Kenner in a display case in my house since the 90's. It's always nice to get figures like Toyman & Firefly to add to that display. Those toy limes & collecting them, really still have fond memories for me. Where all the bs I had to put up with from Mattel with JLU, has really left a bad taste in my mouth & I don't look at them with the fondness I used to.

So I would agree with you on Granny Goodness, Kai-Ro and bikini Barda, & The Royal Flush Gang. Anything else, I wouldn't be buying. I'm sure others would pick & choose different figures to purchase. So it just wouldn't work out for Mattel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:53 pm 
5th Horseman

Mattel just royal misunderstood the customer base here. The "Animated" style was perfect for the 4" figures. But the 6" could have been the characters as they appeared in the Young Justice series, done in the style of DCUC. This way, all of the DCUC completists would have grabbed them up, and it would have gotten the Young Justice fans as well. Look at what Hasbro did with GI JOE: Renegades. A perfect example of crafting the cartoon designs in a style that blends with the rest of the line. That's how YJ should have been handled in 6". Keep animated styles in 4".