Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:59 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

That's weird... The one I found was without the mailer. That place its wreck most of the time, though. The toy section ends up being a day care while parents shop, so the box was probably destroyed.

http://scar1321.blujay.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:08 am 
serves the Otter

It depends on the store, I guess. I mean, let's face it... the white box doesn't scream "buy me!" And some kids might just be learning to read, so it's a good strategy.

Either way, it looks like they just got them. But there weren't many around; so if you need one, don't wait.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:57 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

jamiwa3 wrote:
I wish I was so lucky. I drove out of my way to check several Targets, K-Marts, WalMarts and Toys R Us (what's plural for Us?) on almost a daily basis. Never found Volcana. Found the Big Barda and Obsidian pack once. After the line went Target-exclusive, I never saw the "show accurate" Green Arrow or STAS Aquaman singles (although I traded for them with a board member).

The premium is worth it for me. I do understand that everyone else's situation is different.

I was seriously lucky with Volcana. I remember it like it was yesterday. The Target I frequented didn't have any JLU figures for a few weeks. I walked in & their was the Volcana 3 pack just sitting there by itself on the JLU peg. Now that i am thinking back, The purple carded Star Sapphire 3 pack I picked up at Chicago comic con for a few bucks over retail. The Stargirl Parasite 3 pack eluded me for a while. But my buddy ended up calling me from a Toys R Us that he lived by & asked me if I still needed it. So he picked that one up for me. The rest were simple. Secret Society II & legend of the League was the same way as Volcana. I went into that same Target one day & One of each of those 6 packs was sitting there.

I feel ya on the Aquaman & Green Arrow. I never found those & still do not have them. I really do want the Aquaman since he was on STAS. I keep missing out on the deals on ebay with him. The Batman Beyond & Cheetah 3 packs were not found at target either. Those went to this discount chain called Tuesday Morning & never actually made it to a Target near me due to all the peg warmer 3 packs that were left over, I guess.

Mattel did screw up distribution a lot & I see that. But I guess I am grateful that I was able to have these figures just fall in my lap most of the time without hassle. I wish it was winning lottery tickets I was lucky with, instead of toys :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 am 
Wonderdog

Volcana was really the only time I was ever lucky. Before our TRU moved into a new building with open shelves, it was in a much older building and the shelves all had that hinged sign on the top which hid the very top shelf. We had somebody -- a worker? a customer? -- who constantly hid stuff directly above the pegs behind the sign. It got to be almost a habit to take a quick peek to see if anything was stashed. One day I looked behind and saw the only Volcana pack I ever found at retail, and I bought it.

We still have hiders and card-benders and such around here, and it drives me nuts. We'll be shopping at Target and find toys hidden behind the towels. Mostly it's Hot Wheels or GI Joe, but we've found the occasional comic-book figure too. Or, if the toys are actually still on the pegs, someone will have come around and bent every single card back. But this is a town where on any given morning you can drive by Target fifteen minutes before opening and see six or seven Hot Wheels guys waiting to get in with their printouts firmly in hand. It's no wonder that nobody in any of the toy departments around here wants to help you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:08 am 
Wonderdog

The Hot Wheels guys are psychos.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:18 am 
Fugitive Dust

I ordered the Vandal Savage three pack yesterday.

I was lucky with Volcana, twice and not so lucky once.

I managed to get a single of that figure for a decent price on eBay once. Then stumbled on a good price for a group of JLU figures including Volcana for a great low price. That was good since my daughters got a hold of the figure and snapped her head off while playing with her!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:19 am 
Collector Inspector

I lucked out and found Volcana at a DII store for $7.99 with a bunch of other random JLU three packs years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:26 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

DisneyBoy wrote:
I need to say something here, though know I'm not saying it with venom - merely as an observation.

Several folks here have opted out of buying these last packs for the same reasons I did. Either they didn't really want the characters, or the price point was too high once shipping was factored in. And that makes complete and total sense to me and I'm very relieved to see no one is giving them any guff for opting out.

...so why did I have to take so much of it?

I think it was based on the fact that you were vocal kept pushing for these to be made and then when they came out said you'd pass--

Or maybe its because no one likes Hippolyta :P :P :P :P :P :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:26 am 
shirtless hugger

I found Volcana at Walmart. WALMART! Remember when they sold JLU?

Then her head snapped off. I was sad, but my brother found me a replacement pack. In Southern California. LOS ANGELES! You have to get up pretty early in the morning to find anything there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 am 
shirtless hugger

Quote:
I think it was based on the fact that you were vocal kept pushing for these to be made and then when they came out said you'd pass--

I don't recall being vocal more than anyone else. I just wanted to see the unmade figures get made, same as anyone. I didn't even really campaign...

And I never said I wasn't going to buy any of the packs...

Quote:
Or maybe its because no one likes Hippolyta

Entirely possible! But my observations stands as sad testament to how whipped up some people around here can get over something that was supposed to be fun to share with others.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am 
Collector Inspector

Quote:
Or maybe its because no one likes Hippolyta

Entirely possible![/quote]

NOPE! Make a ww themed 3 pack with Hippolyta, Steve Trevor and Circe and I'm ready with my money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:50 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Interesting reading the stories of Volcana. I bought the first 7 of JLU then didn't buy any till after Volcana had come and gone so never was in the hunt for her. I honestly don't get what the big deal is. Nearly any action figure line has those "hard to find" characters especially any one that has been going for what 10 years? In all honesty the $100 is not that bad for that one figure and the $30-75 for a few handfuls of others when you can get the bulk of them for $3-5 most likely loose. It would have been nice to pack them in with other 3 packs though but it just didn't work out that way.

Still not bad for a line with 100's of figures imo.

As far the last 3 packs go. I'm only buying 3 of them because I have wanted Vandal and Mongul forever as 2 of my favorite villains and it's hard to say no to the Toyman 3 pack. $30 is a hard pill to swallow when these were $10 what 3-4 years ago?

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:52 pm 
5" Scale

Best Matty experience yet. In and out in under two minutes. After my order went through I was like "That was it? There must be some mistake."

DisneyBoy wrote:
I need to say something here, though know I'm not saying it with venom - merely as an observation.

Several folks here have opted out of buying these last packs for the same reasons I did. Either they didn't really want the characters, or the price point was too high once shipping was factored in. And that makes complete and total sense to me and I'm very relieved to see no one is giving them any guff for opting out.

...so why did I have to take so much of it?

I don't want to get too much into specifics (if you want you can PM me) but most of the posters who bad-mouthed you then were fed up with your behavior in MANY different threads. I personally wasn't mad but I could definitely see the culmulative effects of what you were posting in various threads and I spoke up more as a warning to you about how much of the board was taking it instead of as a slam. I remember when I warned you about how you may be coming across to people who didn't know you as well as I did your response was along the lines of "I don't care what people like so-and-so think about me". Well, when you don't care how other people perceive you, chances are you're going to step on a few toes. I don't want to get into it any deeper than that on the board. PM's are probably the better place for it. In any case, I wasn't personally mad and still love you Disneyboy! :mrgreen:

ed case wrote:
Except that JLU is going to have a good ending.

I've heard this complaint about Lost many times and it bewilders me every single time I hear it. As someone who watches a lot of genre shows, I have to say that Lost had the single greatest and most satisfying ending ever for a serialized series I have ever seen. It didn't answer all the questions but frankly had they done that the entire finale would have been two hours of exposition rather than the moving character piece we got. I bawled my eyes out when Sun and Jin remembered each other and Sawyer and Juliet were reunited.

For the record, the third to last episode (Across the Sea) did in fact suck so the final season was far from perfect. But the last episode is probably the single greatest series finale genre fans have ever gotten. In fact, I think it may be the greatest ever series finale, period.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:59 pm 
Collector Inspector

Fone Bone wrote:
In fact, I think it may be the greatest ever series finale, period.

M*A*S*H beats Lost without even needing to stand up.

As for the single greatest and most satisfying ending ever for a serialized series, I've gotta go with Farscape: The Peace Keeper Wars.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:01 pm 
Cold-cast

tuning4k wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:
In fact, I think it may be the greatest ever series finale, period.

M*A*S*H beats Lost without even needing to stand up.

As for the single greatest and most satisfying ending ever for a serialized series, I've gotta go with Farscape: The Peace Keeper Wars.

Yep. Mash ruled. Can't argue Farscape either. I'd add the Star Trek: TNG finale in there too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next