Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The New Trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey!

by SuperHeroHype

September 19, 2012

New Line Cinema has revealed the new trailer for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, opening in 3D, 2D and IMAX theaters on December 14. You can watch the trailer using the player below!

The official site also offers four additional endings to the new trailer. Fans can choose their favorite to create their own version of the trailer and share it with friends.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:02 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I watched the fellowship of the ring the other day and there's a scene of Ian Holm as a young Bilbo finding the ring. It got me thinking will Jackson do a Lucas and re shoot that scene with Martin Freeman and replace it for a complete box set when these are all done? It would make sense as it keeps all the visual continuity of Freeman as the young Bilbo and Holm as the older version. I think that sort of re-working would be fine with fans, unlike the balls up Lucas did replacing Hayden Christensen into the ghost of Anakin at the end of Jedi. That was unnecessary as he should have left that with Sebastian Shaw as Anakin. But I also think he should've left the original Ewok music at the end celebration. (It would be nice if we could get unchanged but cleaned up versions of the originals as they first came out but we all know thats never gonna happen.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Reveals a New Poster!

by SuperHeroHype

September 22, 2012

New Line Cinema and MGM have revealed the new poster for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, opening in 3D, 2D and IMAX theaters on December 14. This one features Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, clutching his sword, Sting. Check it out below!

The film follows title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever... Gollum. Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities... A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.

Click on the image below for a larger version!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:25 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Take a Look at The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey's Goblin King

by SuperHeroHype

September 26, 2012

A good look at The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey's Goblin King is now online, albeit in toy form. Although smaller images of the upcoming "Goblin King with Thorin 3.75" Battle Pack" have made their way to Amazon, TheOneRing.net scored a close-up look at the toy's monstrous form. Check it out below!

Barry Humphries will be playing the Goblin King in the film. Announced for the part last year, Peter Jackson spoke very highly of Humphries' talent.

"[W]e're looking forward to seeing him invest the Goblin King with the delicate sensitivity and emotional depth this character deserves," Jackson wrote. "...Humphries will be portraying the Goblin King, in much the way Andy Serkis created Gollum."

Opening in 3D, 2D and IMAX theaters on December 14, the anticipated film stars Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Evangeline Lilly, Andy Serkis, Richard Armitage, John Bell, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Luke Evans, Stephen Fry, Ryan Gage, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Barry Humphries, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, Mike Mizrahi, James Nesbitt, Dean O'Gorman, Lee Pace, Mikael Persbrandt, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott, Jeffrey Thomas, Aidan Turner and Billy Connolly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:37 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

New Dwarves Poster for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

by SuperHeroHype

September 27, 2012

New Line Cinema has released the new Dwarves poster for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey which you can view below.

Click the poster for a bigger version!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:53 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Benedict Cumberbatch on Smaug's Motion-Capture in The Hobbit

by SuperHeroHype

October 01, 2012

Benedict Cumberbatch, best known for playing the title character in the BBC's "Sherlock," will be seen in some high-profile big screen villain roles in the months and years to come. He'll play a still-unknown interstellar foe in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness and will lend voice and movement to the computer-generated Smaug in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit trilogy. In a new interview with Total Film, Cumberbatch speaks about the latter performance and why we'll have to wait until the end of 2013 to really experience it.

“You just have to lose your s--t on a carpeted floor, in a place that looks a little bit like a mundane government building," he says about donning the motion-capture outfit. "It was just me as well, with four static cameras and all the sensors. Then the boys at Weta work their magic… It’s very freeing, once you put the suit on and the sensors. I’ve never felt less encumbered, actually. And you have to be. You have to be free.”

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will hit the big screen on December 14th of this year, but the main focus of Smaug will be the second chapter, appropriately subtitled The Desolation of Smaug. For that one, fans will have to wait a full year until December 13, 2013.

“I think my eye will open at the end of the first film," says the actor, "and then you’ll get the rest of me in the second.”

The final film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again will follow on July 18, 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:54 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Running Time for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Revealed

by SuperHeroHype

October 24, 2012

Empire sat down with director Peter Jackson to talk about The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. One of the things he revealed to them was the running time for the first film and the magazine also revealed all of the covers for their December issue, pictured below.

“It’s looking like it’s going to be about ten minutes shorter than Fellowship was," said Jackson. "So it’s going to be officially our shortest Middle-earth yet. I mean, Fellowship was just under three hours and this is about 2 hours 40 minutes at the moment.”

That time also doesn't include the ending credits which haven't been added yet, plus some effects shots remain to be finalized which could alter the time once again.

The film follows the titular hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever... Gollum. Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities... A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.

Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Andy Serkis and many, many more star in the December 14 release.

Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:36 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:39 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Exclusive IMAX 12:01 Posters for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

by SuperHeroHype

November 28, 2012

Attend an IMAX midnight show of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to receive this exclusive collector's series of four character prints (while supplies last)! Check here for a list of participating theaters.

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Does anyone know how the name Charlotte would look written in elvish? I'm working on a project for my brother to give his girlfriend for Xmas and she's a big lord of the rings fan, and I want to have her name written in elvish script/symbols. I've looked online for English to Elvish translators but they've not come up with a translation or what that name would look like if written in that text.
If anyone out there who is a Tolkien nut knows how this would look please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:52 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Thank you Google. :D

http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/girlnames.html

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

texgnome1 wrote:

Yeah I had checked out that site, and while it does give a translation, it doesn't show how that would look if written in elvish script. By that I mean, the type of font you see when the words appear on the inside of the ring, or in any of the carvings on the set or props.

It's having it written like this which I'm after.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:05 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

This was FANTASTIC! It ends at what I feel is an awkward moment but it's magical like Fellowship of the Ring all over again! Although I haven't read the book since high school I could be remembering it wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next