Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:51 am 
Aspires to be #1

Clayface wrote:
Over a week has went by & this pack hasn't sold out. I think people are starting to lose interest at this price point & poor quality. I'm predicting the next 2 packs won't sell out either. But I'm pretty sure the last one with Toyman, Firefly, & Dr Destiny will.

Nothing JLU has sold out for the last 4 years, unless the quantities were ridiculously low. At this point, it doesn't matter what happens to them. The last packs are coming out and then they'll be done with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 am 
Wonderdog

j1h15233 wrote:
Nothing JLU has sold out for the last 4 years, unless the quantities were ridiculously low. At this point, it doesn't matter what happens to them. The last packs are coming out and then they'll be done with it.

We have to assume that the quantities on this pack were ridiculously low. The last 2 packs sold out, which is what Mattel supposedly wants, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to up the quantity on this one. But, then again it's Mattel, so who knows.

Anyway, I got mine yesterday. The paint apps aren't the greatest, but they're not the worst I've seen either. What I really like is that they painted Vandal's boots even though the legs are black. Little things like that make a big difference, and I think it looks great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:02 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

j1h15233 wrote:

Yeah, I'm really grateful that Mattel is doing this. The sales figures are clearly not there. I'm not suggesting that Mattel is taking a loss; I'm certain it's making a small profit, but it's not likely to be anywhere near what the company used to make.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 am 
Aspires to be #1

ed case wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

We have to assume that the quantities on this pack were ridiculously low. The last 2 packs sold out, which is what Mattel supposedly wants, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to up the quantity on this one. But, then again it's Mattel, so who knows.

Anyway, I got mine yesterday. The paint apps aren't the greatest, but they're not the worst I've seen either. What I really like is that they painted Vandal's boots even though the legs are black. Little things like that make a big difference, and I think it looks great.

I know they're really small, most likely exactly the same as the other packs so far but my point was that it doesn't matter. Even if these last 6 sold out in 2 minutes, Mattel was done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

As far as selling out goes, I typically order two of each pack, so I can have an extra to modify/customize/army build/whatever. This pack I didn't buy two of, because I can't think of any customizing uses for these particular bases. So I'm definitely contributing to the "no sell out" condition.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 am 
Collector Inspector

Bryan Long wrote:
As far as selling out goes, I typically order two of each pack, so I can have an extra to modify/customize/army build/whatever. This pack I didn't buy two of, because I can't think of any customizing uses for these particular bases. So I'm definitely contributing to the "no sell out" condition.

GASP! I bought three and had to get a fourth Vandal off eBay because I have plenty of customs to make from this! Vandal Savage in his grey suit, Vandal in a more Nazi-esque uniform, not to mention a couple of soon-to-be seen figures using Vandals (somewhat disturbingly) small head. And bits and pieces of Future Supes will appear in other customs. (one thought: paint future Supes' hair grey, give him glesses and does he or does he not look like Keith Giffen?)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:00 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I don't remember Keith Giffen being that buff, but, yeah, I could definitely see that custom working!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 am 
Collector Inspector

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I don't remember Keith Giffen being that buff, but, yeah, I could definitely see that custom working!

lol I just meant the head. Yikes, I don't even think old Bruce Wayne would work as the body. Some sort of sweater would be in order.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:56 am 
Knows his stuff

Clayface wrote:
Over a week has went by & this pack hasn't sold out. I think people are starting to lose interest at this price point & poor quality. I'm predicting the next 2 packs won't sell out either. But I'm pretty sure the last one with Toyman, Firefly, & Dr Destiny will.

I'm not surprised at all. The Future JLU pack was three new figures. The Mongul pack was only one new figure, but at least Mongul was an oversized figure. Vandal Savage, a key villian that needed to be made, was the only new character in the pack.

They at least tooled a new figure in Hereafter Superman, even if he's not a new character. Blue Beetle will move slowly also, with Ted Kord being the only new character, although Fire is repainted as the flame-on version. But the Guy Gardner pack next month will be the biggest dud. One new figure, regular sized, never appeared on the show, with yet another Batman and Martian Manhunter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 am 
Totally Ripped ABS!!!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/blog ... s-journey/

New blog about the new pack.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:13 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
GASP! I bought three and had to get a fourth Vandal off eBay because I have plenty of customs to make from this! Vandal Savage in his grey suit, Vandal in a more Nazi-esque uniform, not to mention a couple of soon-to-be seen figures using Vandals (somewhat disturbingly) small head. And bits and pieces of Future Supes will appear in other customs. (one thought: paint future Supes' hair grey, give him glesses and does he or does he not look like Keith Giffen?)

All good ideas! (Well, maybe not Keith Giffen.) I'm good with one Vandal, but if I add some Vandal Variants, I'd probably just get some head castings from some of our fine customizers. Much cheaper than buying lots of 3-packs.

I got an extra Aquagirl because I want to fix her feet. Typically, I don't customize if I only own one copy of the figure (personal preference in case something goes terribly wrong), so I buy an extra. But with this case, I don't see anything I want to fix or change.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:52 pm 
Brand Manager

jamiwa3 wrote:
Clayface wrote:

I'm not surprised at all. The Future JLU pack was three new figures. The Mongul pack was only one new figure, but at least Mongul was an oversized figure. Vandal Savage, a key villian that needed to be made, was the only new character in the pack.

They at least tooled a new figure in Hereafter Superman, even if he's not a new character. Blue Beetle will move slowly also, with Ted Kord being the only new character, although Fire is repainted as the flame-on version. But the Guy Gardner pack next month will be the biggest dud. One new figure, regular sized, never appeared on the show, with yet another Batman and Martian Manhunter.

At this point I'm of the mindset that... "You can lead the horse to water... you can pull his reins... you can whisper sweet nothings in his ear... but if the damn horse won't drink the damn water... then there's nothing more that you can do, but let him die."

Same with Mattel.

We know they can make running changes. After all, they switched "regular" Batman for "Detective" Batman in the Mongul pack. They fixed Mongul's yellow at the last minute. They added Dr. Destiny & Firefly. And they fixed Dr. Destiny's gloves.

But when we asked for them to switch out one of the more common figures in favor of a more rare character, they said no. And you know... at the end of the day, they are the only ones who truly know what they really can, and can't do. But they are also the ones who stood to benefit the most. Switching Batman for Volcana, Aquaman for Booster Gold, and Eclipso for J'onn would've added sales. Not hurt them. I mean, let's face it. No one in their right mind would've said... "Oh, man! This sucks! Mattel took my Vandal Savage/Future Superman 3-pack and switched my Batman for an Atomic Skull!!! Oh, my!!! And here I was... so, looking forwards to completing my Batman Clone army!!! 32 strong, and still going!!!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 pm 
Knows his stuff

red Ricky wrote:
But when we asked for them to switch out one of the more common figures in favor of a more rare character, they said no. And you know... at the end of the day, they are the only ones who truly know what they really can, and can't do. But they are also the ones who stood to benefit the most. Switching Batman for Volcana, Aquaman for Booster Gold, and Eclipso for J'onn would've added sales.

Agreed. I'm just glad to be getting these last figures, but it would be nice if I didn't have to hunt and pray for a Volcana. It would have been great if Mattel said, "you know what? No more original seven, since we're not targeting moms and kids." Then removed the six "original seven" repeats in the six-packs, and replaced them with rare figures (STAS Aquaman, Volcana, some of the ten figures from the two missing six-packs). But they were completely out of money, couldn't do new plastic trays, couldn't do an identical card back for all the packs with a picture of the final six-packs, or so we're told. Oh well. I would have been more than happy just getting Mongul and Vandal Savage. Future JLU, Guy, Ted Kord, Toyman, Dr. Destiny and Firefly are gravy to me.

red Ricky wrote:
And here I was... so, looking forwards to completing my Batman Clone army!!! 32 strong, and still going!!!"

Only 32? YOU are the reason the sales were lackluster!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
red Ricky wrote:
At this point I'm of the mindset that... "You can lead the horse to water... you can pull his reins... you can whisper sweet nothings in his ear... but if the damn horse won't drink the damn water... then there's nothing more that you can do, but let him die."

Same with Mattel.

We know they can make running changes. After all, they switched "regular" Batman for "Detective" Batman in the Mongul pack. They fixed Mongul's yellow at the last minute. They added Dr. Destiny & Firefly. And they fixed Dr. Destiny's gloves.

But when we asked for them to switch out one of the more common figures in favor of a more rare character, they said no. And you know... at the end of the day, they are the only ones who truly know what they really can, and can't do. But they are also the ones who stood to benefit the most. Switching Batman for Volcana, Aquaman for Booster Gold, and Eclipso for J'onn would've added sales. Not hurt them. I mean, let's face it. No one in their right mind would've said... "Oh, man! This sucks! Mattel took my Vandal Savage/Future Superman 3-pack and switched my Batman for an Atomic Skull!!! Oh, my!!! And here I was... so, looking forwards to completing my Batman Clone army!!! 32 strong, and still going!!!"

That last part of your post made me lol big time. But seriously I agree what would Mattel have lost, I doubt too many moms and kids are buying these packs so having the core 7 in each pack is kinda silly IMO. But hey, I haven't made MIllions of dollars from JLU, and my name is not "Matty" or "Mattel" so what do I know? ;)

D.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:10 am 
Cold-cast

red Ricky wrote:

Same with Mattel.

LMAO!!!!

What really urked me was that even though I am happy to get Firefly, they replaced a rare hard to find figure that I was looking forward to getting with him. I really wanted to get STAS Aquaman in that Toyman pack since I don't have him. Why couldn't Mattel have replaced one of the Multiple Batman's instead of replacing a figure that many people need? Because ever since Mattel had this license they made idiotic moves that's why! I bought Mongul because I had to have him. I bought the Future JLU because it is 3 new characters from the Batman Beyond cartoon. I didn't buy the Vandal pack & I'm not buying anything else. I was going to buy the Toyman pack but decided to get him & Firefly off ebay from a chinese seller for $3 a piece. Why waste $40 through Matty? They are supposed to arrive soon. If I don't get them, I always have the back up plan of getting them in December for $40. But I really hope that i get them so I can be done with Mattel, Digital River, & everything that has to do with them. Never have I seen a company run things so half @$$ed in my life! Good riddance to dealing with them again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next