Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:21 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

http://dchallofjustice.com/media/CK-JLU_Btas.jpg

Yeah, Mattel just totally ruined this line................what a disaster it was.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

:lol:

Keep fighting the good fight, Ian.

JLU Fans = Never happy. Even when they get more than they expected (Firefly, etc.).

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:46 am 
5" Scale

Anyone that looks at that wallpaper and still thinks Mattel has "cheated" or "screwed" us, will never be happy, JLU may not be a perfect toyline (none ever are), but it will go done was one of my fav toylines EVER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well, it just amazes me that any fan would look at this line and think "failure".

As far as number of different characters made I can't think of a line that comes close to it and a few "hard to get" not rare figures that you can get for $50-100 make it a failed line??? LOL.....ok.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 am 
5" Scale

People give Mattel a lot of crap, but look how large that JLU collection is now. And look at DCSH/DCUC and all its spin off 6 inch figure lines. we have over 300 DC 6" figures from Mattel, sure they are not all perfect, but good god thats a lot of figures.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:44 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

We got a HUGE chunk of villains as well.

In most other "kids" lines, Heroes outweigh Villains like 20:1 or some such nonsense.

It really is great to see such a diverse and massive line like JLU. Its a shame that it had to end, but man, that ride sure was worth the wait in line.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 am 
Brand Manager

Isn't the internet great? Literally... it's the one place where people can take my comments about some changes not hurting sales, and shamelessly transmogrify them into "Mattel ruined the line." LOL!

And that folks, is why I don't have a sign-off phrase like Chip's. 'Cause let's face it... It wouldn't take long before me saying "have a nice day" got turned into "your mother is an uber fat toe jam sucking junkie!!!" :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 am 
categorically opposed

Clayface wrote:
Because ever since Mattel had this license they made idiotic moves that's why!

Yep, just one disaster after another.

Just curious - how many different DC characters saw retail pegs when Kenner and Hasbro had the license? Twenty, at best?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:47 am 
shirtless hugger

I agree with you guys 100 percent.

Some people don't understand that Mattel is a big business, and JLU was only a tiny fraction of that business.

Yeah, it would have been great to the Volcana figure with the translucent hair. But after the extremely low sales of the four-packs, which were made exclusively for collectors, Mattel's interest in meeting the needs of such a niche group waned significantly. The money was just not there.

I'm really happy that Mattel took these last few figures, which had already been planned for retail, and reassembled them to sell directly to collectors. There aren't many other multinational companies that would have bothered with such small potatoes at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 am 
shirtless hugger

MoMoney wrote:
Just curious - how many different DC characters saw retail pegs when Kenner and Hasbro had the license? Twenty, at best?

This isn't really directed at you, MoMoney, but I see variations of your comment a lot.

The toy market was completely different back when Kenner/Hasbro held the DC license. It was still in the late 80's mode of tons of heroes, and few villains. They also rarely ventured out of the Batman family, because Batman was proven (movie and TV), and their attempts at broader DC comic lines usually didn't perform well (DC Super Heroes, and Total Justice).

They definitely made more than 20 different characters, though, as I counted 25 unique characters in their animated Batman line alone. Add in the comic lines, and that number gets much bigger.

The thinking of making every character under the sun didn't really kick in until the late 90's/early 00's, with Kenner's Star Wars, and later, Toy Biz's Marvel Legends.

If Hasbro still had the license, I bet we'd have seen a DC Universe-type line from them. I don't know if JLU would have lasted as long as it has under Mattel, but Hasbro kept Animated Batman going well into the first season of Justice League. I was still buying new Hasbro product in 2003.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:53 am 
shirtless hugger

MoMoney wrote:

At least 33.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:09 am 
Aspires to be #1

Joe G. wrote:
MoMoney wrote:

At least 33.

4 of which would go on to be a complete waste of a slot for Mattel imo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 am 
Collector Inspector

Joe G. wrote:
MoMoney wrote:

At least 33.

34 when you remember the mail-away Clark Kent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am 
Brand Manager

Ham Salad wrote:
The toy market was completely different back when Kenner/Hasbro held the DC license.

Yup. Batman The Animated Series, under Kenner/Hasbro, covered a lot of ground and to be honest; it's probably one of the more complete Batman lines out there. It was also the one that gave us our first Scarecrow, second Two-Face, first Man-Bat, first Clayface, first Killer Croc, first Poison Ivy, first Harley Quinn, first BANE!!!, first Mad Hatter, first Creeper, first Ra's Al Ghul, first Alfred, first Commissioner Gordon, first Talia... and very first Ventriloquist/Scarface duo. So yeah, in a sense, they paved the way.

Last edited by red Ricky on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:28 am 
shirtless hugger

That JLU picture is amazing (particularly when I realize I have them all, and many multiples of them), but I don't understand why Plastic Man's girder is so far away from Plas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next