Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why did DC Direct change into DC Collectibles?...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:43 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
... I am just wondering why the name change and such, is DC trying to make a statment on how DC Collectibles will be better or something? Because IMO DCC is way worse than DC Direct, the paint and plastic suck, I just got a new Arkham City Batman, luckily I got to choose from about 8 of them. But I still had bad luck because they all had really bad paint problems or warped ears or legs from how they are placed inside the package. I managed to choose the one I thought looked the best, but when I opened him up I saw that his trunks are not painted on all of the way and his plastic is warped on his legs. I keep thinking maybe I'll go buy another one, but then common sense comes knocking and I realize it would be a wasted effort. So anyways, does anyone know why did DC Direct changed? It can't be because they are trying to make better figures. Because I also saw the new 52 fighures and man... the sculpts for those were not good, (even Batman.)

D.

Post subject: Re: Why did DC Direct change into DC Collectibles?...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
5" Scale

I'm also not impressed with their offerings as of late. Their Mass Effect Miranda is one of the worst offenders IMO. I love the aliens, but Miranda's looks like a first year Kabuki player :roll: I'd love to get them, but I don't want a incomplete wave. I've also seen some of your issues in my lcbs too Dusty. Between that and the crazy prices I just can't do another line, especially a inferior produced, but expensive one :|

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:40 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
The_Donster wrote:
I'm also not impressed with their offerings as of late. Their Mass Effect Miranda is one of the worst offenders IMO. I love the aliens, but Miranda's looks like a first year Kabuki player :roll: I'd love to get them, but I don't want a incomplete wave. I've also seen some of your issues in my lcbs too Dusty. Between that and the crazy prices I just can't do another line, especially a inferior produced, but expensive one :|

yeah I hear you, I even have to drive about 35 miles to get to a comic shop that carries more than board games and "Magic" game stuff, (but that's niether here nor there, lol.) But seriously, I am so ticked at how stupid DC is now days, compared to just 2-3 years ago. :roll:

D.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:02 am 
Daniel Pickett

To be fair - DC Collectibles did not do the Mass Effect series 2 figures. Series one was done by the old DC Direct. Series 2 was done by Big Fish Toys.

They rebranded from DC Direct to DC Collectibles when the company was over hauled and publishing was split off from everything else. Publishing stayed in NYC and the rest of DC Entertainment moved to Burbank. There was a change in leadership and a change of direction. They took some time off and worked on how their pipeline works so they can get stuff to stores when they say it will be there and refocused how much product they put out in the market on a given month.
They are still a work in progress but are getting to some new and interesting things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:35 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

With the exception of generally releasing less product (which could be explained by the various corporate reshuffling), I haven't noticed a decline in quality.

Both the new 52 Aquaman and Parademon I've bought from them seem to have the same quality of the stuff I've bought before.

Price is higher, though. :?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:23 pm 
serves the Otter

JuliusMarx wrote:
To be fair - DC Collectibles did not do the Mass Effect series 2 figures. Series one was done by the old DC Direct. Series 2 was done by Big Fish Toys.

They rebranded from DC Direct to DC Collectibles when the company was over hauled and publishing was split off from everything else. Publishing stayed in NYC and the rest of DC Entertainment moved to Burbank. There was a change in leadership and a change of direction. They took some time off and worked on how their pipeline works so they can get stuff to stores when they say it will be there and refocused how much product they put out in the market on a given month.
They are still a work in progress but are getting to some new and interesting things.

Thanks Julius for the clarification... but there is just one problem with DC's new getting things to stores on time they have psotponed or released figures early without letting anyone except Diamond know. Titan Joker from Arkham City wasn't supposed to be released until next month I believe... but bam! He is out now. And I found this out through someone buying him not hearing it from DC Collectibles, lol. Also the street date for the Arkham City wave 3 was 9/14/2012... Bam again! a week or so before Sept 14th they were pushed back to Sept 26th, (I was told this by users on TheFwoosh, again lol.) Now I understand things happen, causing delays and such... and I am not complaining about it as much as just thinking this is the same thing DC Direct did. So I don't really see any significant change, but I suppose like you said, it is still a work in progress. BTW this post is by no means one that is trying to start an argument or meant to offend or be rude, it is just an observation. :)
Thanks again for all the clarification everyone! :D

D.