Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:48 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Titan Speck wrote:
MoMoney wrote:
And I completely disagree with this statement. ToyBiz was cranking out super obscure characters in its five-inch Marvel line for years (La Lunatica? Shard?), and that started in the early-to-mid '90s. Playmates was cranking out wave after wave of TMNT, most of which were completely new sculpts (even of the Turtles themselves), with tons of random, new mutants tossed in every wave.

And what's wrong with La Lunatica? :lol: She was a pretty important part of the team toward the end of X-Men 2099. I'm actually hoping that she, along with the others show up in the MU line. The already have spidey 2099. So neener neener. :P

And Clayface, say what you will about Secret Wars, but those suckers were sturdy. They could take direct shots to the head from my BB gun with not a scratch. :mrgreen: It still is one of my favorite toylines ever.

And that was going to be my point-- La Lunitica was actually from a Carded X-Men 2099 line-- shes not obscure if you have the whole line of figures for it.. Shard-- that may be closer- but she was Bishops sister and a member of X-Factor..

If you were really want to claim obscure-- I would have went with Quark, Comcast or Spat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 am 
categorically opposed

Titan Speck wrote:
MoMoney wrote:
And I completely disagree with this statement. ToyBiz was cranking out super obscure characters in its five-inch Marvel line for years (La Lunatica? Shard?), and that started in the early-to-mid '90s. Playmates was cranking out wave after wave of TMNT, most of which were completely new sculpts (even of the Turtles themselves), with tons of random, new mutants tossed in every wave.

And what's wrong with La Lunatica? :lol: She was a pretty important part of the team toward the end of X-Men 2099. I'm actually hoping that she, along with the others show up in the MU line. The already have spidey 2099. So neener neener. :P

I never said there was anything wrong with her. Quite the opposite, actually. She represents the fact that the "make everyone under the sun" mentality started way before Marvel Legends for other companies. She, Shard, Tusk, Ahab, Random, Trevor Fitzroy, Senyaka, Bonebreaker, Ch'od, Raza, Kylun, and God knows who else were produced ahead of longtime characters and obvious choices like Psylocke, Jubilee, Kitty Pryde, etc.

The inclusion of characters like La Lunatica and Shard represented everything I wanted from a DC line that there was no way I would ever get from Kenner/Hasbro.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:37 am 
Cold-cast

ed case wrote:
I think the only thing that's come back from the dead more often than JLU is this argument about JLU. :roll:

By now, haven't we come to the point where we can all acknowledge that both sides make valid points? I suppose there was a time when I made more negative comments than positive ones about JLU, but that time has passed for me. Now that I'm not constantly hunting figures, the frustration is gone. My overall lasting impression of the line is positive. The greatest action figure line ever, IMHO. Great, if simple, sculpts in general. Massive character selection. BTAS was pretty much equally good, but a product of its time, and therefore different. But to really say that there wasn't an issue with the quality of plastic & paint, especially at the price we eventually had to pay, is either denial, or arguing for the sake of arguing.

+100

I have the opposite feeling as you on the rest of your post, though. I loved this line when it was going on years ago. My opinion really changed when the line started winding down. I think because of all the head games Mattel played with us collectors on the release of these final figures. It was like a never ending downward spiral of lies & false promises. Sure they came through in the end & act like they did it to do US the collectors a favor. More lies, they did it to help themselves since the tooling & mold money was already wasted. They released them just to try & get their money back not as a favor to us. So they charge us over inflated prices of $30 on the same cheaply made, poorly painted figures. I actually thought since it was the end of the line & these were the last figures being released in a limited production run at such high price points that we would actually get a better grade of plastic & better quality control on paint applications like when this line began. I was wrong!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:35 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Back on topic:

The three-pack I ordered finally arrived. Yay!

I'm so happy to finally have Vandal Savage! And Superman looks amazing. The paint, the sculpt, it all looks great.

Batman looks like Batman. Meh.

Does anyone know what the lines on Superman's forearms are supposed to be? Scars? Wrinkles? Cellulite? :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:09 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Got my pack today too.

Batman gets an A+ for his paint job. Otherwise I could care less about this figure.

Future Superman gets an A- on paints. I only noticed 1 tiny blotch on his sash. Very nice design on this figure. Nice detail. Should have been Trickster or Chronos or Circe though.

Vandal Savage gets about a D on his paint job. I have another Vandal that is far better though. He could probably have stood a slightly larger head and neck sculpt. Though to me that is minor.

This pack is kind of a "meh" for me. Didn't need Batman. Not really that interested in this version of Superman. Already had Vandal Savage so I can't blame them for that although because of that I had no anticipation left for him. I only really bought this pack because Superman was a new well done figure/sculpt that I didn't have.

Totally awesome though that we were able to get Vandal Savage before this line ended. I'd put this experience for me under "glass half full" at worst.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:11 pm 
Wonderdog

GregNYC wrote:
Does anyone know what the lines on Superman's forearms are supposed to be? Scars? Wrinkles? Cellulite? :D

I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be wounds from his fight with those mutant dogs. Nice touch of added detail. Love it. I love that they made this figure at all, & love all the new tooling. The paint apps on my Superman's head are less than spectacular, but overall I think he's awesome.
I'm also pretty impressed with the new torso on Vandal. All this time I was assuming it would be one of those vinyl pieces like the Shade has. I'm still pretty impressed by how much new tooling there's been in this 'last' wave.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:07 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I have warm feelings towards this line because of the character selection and some of the terrific sculpts (Doomsday, Waller, Aquaman, etc). I have negative feelings towards it because of the distribution, cheap plastic, character choices/priorities, and the Matty website.

I think for me I was less excited when the line began because it was taking forever to get basic characters like Hawkgirl and Luthor out there...and I was more excited when it became JLU, but then the other issues came into play so my excitement died out. Around Volcana it picked up, and now it's died down a bit more again.

It has been a heck of a ride! Don't know if I'd call it my all-time favourite toy line, but it's been interesting and I'm glad to have the characters I have!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:31 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Got mine today. I have to say, I don't like the arm scarring on Superman. I find it distracting. But I wasn't a proponent of this particular figure, so hopefully those who wanted the figure like it. Also, the head on mine doesn't fit properly in the neck hole, and it's "frozen" and won't turn. I'll try (gently) to get it unstuck tonight and see if it fits better. I'm not going to try to get a replacement, though. The main draw for me on this pack was Vandal. His head is too small, but I'm still glad to have him.

I am a bit startled by all the new tooling on Superman. Seems like a lot for an alternate version of Superman that appeared in one episode. Again, I didn't particularly want this figure, and I'd have rather seen the tooling go to a different figure. But it's all water under the bridge now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:15 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well Vandal Savage has finally made it to the "Almost Gone" catagory. 11 days before the next sale. Will it last long enough for some people to take advantage of combined shipping with the Guy Gardner pack?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:48 am 
Cold-cast

whakojacko1976 wrote:
Well Vandal Savage has finally made it to the "Almost Gone" catagory. 11 days before the next sale. Will it last long enough for some people to take advantage of combined shipping with the Guy Gardner pack?

I doubt it. I really didn't want to spend the money on the static pack. But when it was listed as " almost gone " I panicked & ordered it. I remember It lasted about 3 days after that tag came up. So I don't think this one is going to last 11 days. But I could be wrong sales are a lot slower on this one than the static & Mongul packs. I do think the Guy Gardner pack will last until the Blue Beetle one is for sale. though. Then both of those 2 may last until the Toyman pack is released :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:43 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm wondering how much the Chinese Ebay sales on Vandal Savage might have hurt this pack. There is an pretty good number of these still on Ebay that didn't come from Matty first. The only downside to this option was there haven't been a great and anywhere near equal number of Bearded Supermen there so if you still wanted him you had to go through Matty. As of now the Guy pack shouldn't have that problem because he is still very rare on Ebay. The Beetle pack could end up suffering from this though. It's still hard to say whether this had any significant impact on Matty's sales.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:00 pm 
Cold-cast

I really do not think that is the problem. The chinese seller had nothing to do with low sales IMO

I personally believe that the Mongul pack sold well, because it was the first of the bunch & everyone was excited that these packs were finally getting released & really just bought without thinking about it. Plus Mongul was oversized, 100% newly tooled, & they even corrected the color.

Then the next pack was the Static pack. I'll admit, I didn't want to pay over $40 for this pack. But when it hit almost gone & I contemplated that I was getting 3 new figures, I bit the bullet. I think most people thought this way on it.

Now onto the Vandal pack. Sales were very slow. Well you have Vandal Savage who is demanded. But they made him to small & most that I have seen are painted terrible. Another Damn Batman that no one cares about & A new Superman that a lot of people could do without & would have rather had ( insert wish list name here ) I think people are starting to realize. last of the line or not, they could live without these characters for this steep price.

I only expect it to get worse. The next pack. Guy Gardner, really!?!?! Who cares. Oh but wait you also get another Batman & Martian Manhuter..... meh. I don't think this one will even sell out at all. Look for them next year at one of these stores TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning, Ollie's, Marcs, Big Lots, etc......

Then you have Blue beetle, A clear repaint of Fire, & another duplicate. At least this one has a new figure & technically a variant of Fire. The popularity of that remains yet to be seen. I don't think it will do well still at that $40 price tag. But it will do better than the Gardner pack.

Then the final release that everyone is after. Toyman, Dr Destiny & Firefly. 3 highly demanded brand new figures in on single pack. $40 price point still not worth it, but at least it is more logical to spend on this selection. This is a hell of a way to end the line, going out with a bang! Definitely a high note. This pack is going to go fast even though the chinese seller has these.

I think it will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the chinese seller has nothing to do with low sales. Just those other packs pretty much suck at the $40 price point, so people just didn't want to waste their hard earned cash on them. We shall see for sure in December, though

Post subject: Re: The JLU SEPTEMBER 15th 3-PACK RELEASE
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:36 am 
AFA Graded

jamiwa3 wrote:
I think Future Superman is a waste of a slot. With precious few slots left, they use a new head sculpt on yet another Superman. Of course, the next man's mileage may vary. But I'd rather that headsculpt have gone to Chronos, Steppenwolf, another Legion of Doom member, or just about any new character that wasn't a variation of a character we already have.

But I suppose it's crying over spilled milk. We're still getting Vandal Savage with the pack.

I could always use an extra one of that Sups for customs if you don't want your's. It's a new sculpt.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14