Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cheap JLU from Chinese eBay seller
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:44 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Fone Bone wrote:
If you'd rather buy stolen items that's fine, but don't act like the eBay sellers are doing you some sort of favor by selling them dirt cheap now when just a few months ago they were ripping people off like crazy. You think $40 for a carded pack is bad? Try hundreds of dollars for a loose figure. Thank Mattel, not the eBay thieves.

Anybody that got ripped off did it to themselves. No one was really forced to pay $1000 for these.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:57 pm 
Cold-cast

whakojacko1976 wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:
If you'd rather buy stolen items that's fine, but don't act like the eBay sellers are doing you some sort of favor by selling them dirt cheap now when just a few months ago they were ripping people off like crazy. You think $40 for a carded pack is bad? Try hundreds of dollars for a loose figure. Thank Mattel, not the eBay thieves.

Anybody that got ripped off did it to themselves. No one was really forced to pay $1000 for these.

I am thankful for the EBAY SELLERS so now I don't have to waste over $40 for 3 stupid figures every month. Some of which would be duplicates. Wish I could have got my Mongul from China! These are toys, they aren't made out of freaking gold. I could care less what Mattel says about the limited number & their costs. They could still sell these a lot cheaper than they are. They already wasted the money on tooling & molds, which is their problem, not mine. Like I said before Mattel isn't doing us a favor out of the kindness of their hearts by releasing them to us lowly collectors that they feel bad for. The only reason they are releasing them is they want to make their money back that they already have tied up in this fiasco. Maybe if they wouldn't have jacked around Target & actually sent them current figures instead of flooding their warehouse with the same Question, Capt Atom, Fire & Ice 3 packs & singles they wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. Target dropped the line because they got sick of dealing with the stupidity on Mattel's part involving this line. You can try to convince me otherwise, but it isn't happening. Mattel doesn't deserve another cent from me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:10 pm 
AFA Graded

Where is this $40 # coming from? It $30 for 3 stupid figures every month. :wink:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:43 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
Where is this $40 # coming from? It $30 for 3 stupid figures every month. :wink:

Right but after shipping & handling and taxes it comes out to around $40. At least if that's all you're ordering, one 3-pack at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:41 pm 
AFA Graded

Well if you're lucky, you can fix any minor flaws that come with these Chinese factory cheap ones.
I think they may have been borderline factory rejects, because all mine came with little black marks, or
mistakes. Still worth it for the price.

Has anybody else gotten ones with tiny flaws in their cheap figures, or noticed them?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:44 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

There's a flaw in my Toyman's leg... but all my 6" figures come perfect. The flaw with the New 52 Superman's cape being too heavy for him has turned up in actual store bought versions, so I don't feel as bad about that. Perhaps I'm just lucky at best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:39 pm 
AFA Graded

My Toyman has a scar on the left arm, as well as black marks on the sweater.
Nothing I cant fix as a customizer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:36 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Did you notice that the Toyman pictured in these auctions has 2 right arms? There's also one that pictures Blue Beetle with 2 left arms.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:03 am 
Cold-cast

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
Well if you're lucky, you can fix any minor flaws that come with these Chinese factory cheap ones.
I think they may have been borderline factory rejects, because all mine came with little black marks, or
mistakes. Still worth it for the price.

Has anybody else gotten ones with tiny flaws in their cheap figures, or noticed them?

I actually felt the same way & was worried. Thought before I received them I was going to be getting some really messed up figures because they might be factory rejects since he had so many. But......

There's nothing wrong with mine. Well actually Firefly had a smudge of gray paint on his black jetpack strap. But it rubbed off easily. Besides if you paid $40 for them in December you would get the same flawed crap. All JLU figures have poor paint applications. Mattel could care less if they put out quality figures or not. My Toyman from the chinese seller is actually painted better than many of my figures that were actually store bought & released by Mattel. Goto the Matty forum & look at the pic in the Vandal Savage thread. That figure was sold through Matty & tell me that figure is painted well :roll: I think It's luck of the draw if you get a good one with these just like it would be on the Matty site in December because Mattel's quality control just sucks. At least at retail I could pick & choose the best painted of the bunch. But then there were times like Etrigan, or the rare 6 packs that I only seen once & one of so I had to buy what was there. My Etrigan is so poorly painted that it's disgusting. The end of JLU makes me feel like I just beat a major drug addiction. I am so relieved to be done with this, JLU, mattel, digital river, etc.... I had a better experience with something coming from across the globe than I ever did with Digital river.

Last edited by Clayface on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 am 
Cold-cast

This is the problem Mattel faces: the never-ending nerd rage machine.

Mattel was blasted when they said they weren't releasing the remaining JLU, and they continue to be on blast now that they are producing them. The JLU figures currently have better paint apps and overall quality than they did when they first came out. Still not good enough. $30.00 plus shipping for a limited-edition three pack? Not good enough. They should be $10.00.

I have been collecting since the early '80's and Mattel has produced more awesome DC figures than all of the other companies that have held the license combined. I have also been frustrated by some of Mattel's mistakes, especially in the distribution arena, but that just makes them occasionally inept. Not worthy of this crazed hatred.

Pretending that Mattel is maliciously trying to rip you off may make you feel better about buying stolen figures, and that's great if it works for you. You chose to buy a flawed product when you began collecting JLU. That's why they don't cost as much as Hot Toys or Takara products. There's a really nice 6" Dark Knight figure for $80.00 coming out if you want perfect.

Everything that I buy now, including action figures, is more expensive. The price of cereal, for god's sake, is up 40%. No wonder Mattel is beginning to abandon the collector market and just focus on the kids, they are acting a lot less bratty than the adult collectors.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am 
Cold-cast

First of all the kids don't want action figures they are too busy playing Xbox & Playstation. It's not like it was when we were kids & our childhood revolved around action figures. Mattel is foolish if they are aiming their lines at kids, the smartest thing they could have done was aim this line at the collector when they did.

Secondly, Really? When the line first started these figures were quality. I still have the original 7 & a set on cards. The actual plastic quality was much better than the junk they have been using the past 4 years when it became a " collector line " I guess Mattel figured they could lessen the quality because collectors weren't going to play with their toys, so they didn't have to worry if they were able to stand up to battle or not. But yet they still kept raising the prices even more claiming it's totally a " collector line " But still including multiples of the original 7 in three packs. Are they trying to aim it at kids or collectors? Parents weren't going to pay those high prices for 3 crappy little figures & collectors don't want the duplicates. Seriously take one of your duplicate original 7 figures that came in a 3 pack, 6 pack, etc.... & compare it to another when the line first launched. Even the next era of the line when they got rid of the joints. Those earlier figures were made out of a much stiffer better quality plastic. To make a statement like you did is ludicrous.

Third I wasn't a Mattel hater until this latest fiasco. The last year in the line did it for me. I ALWAYS hated buying multiples in three packs & spending extra money on another Batman. GL. Superman, WW, etc..... Oh those six packs to get one or two new figures with the original 7 multiples really burned me! But I dealt with that. The lies & smokescreen that Mattel gave us over the last year is what pissed me off. Everything they claimed was an out right lie, or they really just kept changing their minds. Buy these crappy Animal man, JSA three packs, because if they sell well you will see the final packs. Spend money on multiple S.T.R.I.P.E.'s & 7 packs so you can get the last of the line. Ok so the crappy three packs said sold out & so did the 7 pack. I've never seen the 7 pack come up again on Matty or at the discount stores which a lot of other JLU products off Matty are appearing at? So we must have done our part, right? Mattel, well they just didn't sell fast enough to release the final figures. You are loud & not numerous. But then they come up with this scenario that maybe they could make these figures in a limited amount & release them for say.... $50 a pack. No substitutions can be made! Yeah, the original 7 mixed in for $50 a pack? No Thank you. Probably would have bought Mongul & the Toyman pack that way, since it came with STAS Aquaman because I don't have him ( another one of their blunders ) But the poll answers aren't what they wanted to see, so sorry these toys will never see the light of day! But then later they drop they news on us that they will be releasing them $30 a pack with Firefly & Destiny. I really think the $50 price the through around was to prepare us for this price so we would think we were getting a " savings " & buy them. Oh & they replaced some figures, one of which I was looking forward to getting STAS Aquaman! So why not just replace every Batman, MM, Superman, WW, etc.... with STAS Aquaman, Volcana, Characters from the rare HTF 6 packs? Oh they can't do that even though the mold/ & tooling was already done for those characters. They claimed they did us a favor by releasing these to us. But in reality they only did it for themselves. They didn't want that money that they used for tooling & molds on these to be wasted, so they are making it back. Not doing us any favors. So why should I care about them? No matter how much smoke they blow up our @$$es about how they care. All they care about are they millions of dollars they make a year. If you believe they actually care about us, you are out of your mind!

I am not an " angry nerd " I grew up with the Timmverse toons & they blended into my adulthood. Let's face it, JLU wasn't exactly made totally for kids. Collecting these cheap JLU toys is the only " nerd " thing I do in my life anymore. Maybe another reason why I am glad it's all over. But I'm a realist not an " angry nerd ", as I look back this line was more hassle than it's worth. I look at my box of figures that are getting a chalky coating on the rubber, painting melting from being next to another figure, legs all warped from cheap plastic, & the figures won't stand, every character looking the same because they just painted on details to the same 5 bucks, My mini Bane, Atom Smasher, etc... because they refused to make a bigger buck that they could have used for many other figures, all the absolutely terrible painted figures, along with the other problems etc.... I really don't have any fondness for the line anymore.

Say what you want but Kenner did a much better Job with the DC animated license. I've had BTAS & STAS figures in a display case in my house since the late 90's. I still look fondly at those figures. You know what? All those figures each have their own stance because Kenner used a different buck for every unique character, they still have all their paint, & they are still standing after all these years. I seriously think in 20 years the cheap plastic that Mattel used on this line will actually begin to deteriorate. I know the rubber pieces will for sure. People were already complaining about that happening with Giganta at one time.

I'm not pretending anything! Do I have to feel bad & make up lies to myself to make me feel better for buying " stolen property " as you termed it, from China? Hell NO! I sleep just fine at night. Just like the millions of dollars mattel makes a year means so much to them, my $40 I would spend compared to under $10 from China means a lot to me. You act like we should be so loyal to this company that makes millions off all of us every year by putting out these stupid little toys? I bet you believe everything the govt tells you also. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:04 pm 
Brand Manager

Here's my take on the whole MattyCollector vs. The Chinese Black Market debate:

1. If these figures have been selling out as Mattel claims, then Mattel has hit its Profit Max and can't possibly make any more money because they have sold all the product they had to sell. (FYI, The Vandal Savage 3-Pack Sold Out today.)

2. If the tabs the Chinese sellers keep on these figures are accurate, then I seriously doubt that the 38 to 64 figures sold, are enough to impact Mattel's bottom line.

If, on the other hand, Mattel has been removing product from their store in order to force people to make their purchase on certain dates and also to prevent them from combining shipping...

Then, I'll be blunt and say that they only have themselves to blame. 'Cause the way that I see it:

1. They had time to make some of these sets more attractive and when making cosmetic changes like fixing Dr. Destiny, switching Batmans on the Mongul pack, and color correcting Mongul... They ignored some of the obvious things, like:

a. There being no need to even leave some of the other Batman Figures.

b. Like forgetting about Dr. Destiny's boots.

c. Like leaving Booster Gold; i.e. a character that has been released on 3 separate occasions and was widely available Nationally & Internationally.

d. Like leaving Martian Manhunter, i.e. a character that has been released in multiple forms and occasions; and is as prolific as Batman in terms of repaints. Literally there is the Original version, Transforming/Alien version, Clear version, Transition version, 9 POA version, Justice Lord version, Color Corrected version and Modern Version.

e. Like not adding Volcana when the opportunity arose.

f. Like removing Aquaman when there is a lot of demand for the character.

See...

People find value in those minor details. It's how they justify spending $40 dollars on painted plastic. And if Mattel is lying about the figures selling out, and/or not being able to store them (even though they have plenty of room for Battlecat, Wind Raider, Ghostbusters and the Palace Guards); then they only have themselves to blame for driving fans away.

Plus, there's the Shipping Issue.

And that is, it's hard to make a Moral Argument about the "right" or "wrong" of buying factory rejects, or possible stolen merchandise, when you compare the shipping rates being charged by Matty to those on Shop.Mattel.com.

I mean, let me be clear, I do not advocate an Eye For Eye; nor am I justifying going to the Black Market. I'm simply stating that Shop.Mattel.com will charge you $3.99 to ship you a single figure. and $5.99 to ship you six or more DCUC figures. And the people who see this may very well think that MattyCollector is ripping them off.

When this happens, the moral dilemma goes out the window. Simply put, people won't feel bad for buying discarded or stolen property, if they believe Mattel is taking advantage of them in other areas.

But like I said... I'm not going to pass a moral judgement.

I'm simply going to point out that it's within Mattel to fix things. Clearly there are ways they can offer competitive shipping rates but choose not to. They can leave product available longer, but choose not to. They could even add customer service stock to their site, as it becomes available, but instead choose not to. And the more glaring oversight... they could have made running changes to these packs in order to make them more attractive to the Collector Market and/or justify the "average" price point of $38.70, but also choose not to.

See... I'm grateful for these last figures. I really am. But I just don't get why the people that run this line seem so lethargic. Why it looks like they are always satisfied with the bare minimum?

When I do things... I always give it my best. I doesn't matter if I'm getting paid a lot, or I'm working for free; if my name is on the line, so is my pride. And the mere insinuation that my company was taking advantage of people through shipping, or that we were not giving customers more value for their money, would be enough to make me want to change things. I for one would not wait for my customers to leave, nor would I try to keep them by making promises I could not keep.

Last edited by red Ricky on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 pm 
AFA Graded

I sanded down the hand grip on an extra TNBA Mr.Freeze freeze-gun, and
gave it to Firefly. All it needed was a little grey paint and some flames shooting out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:08 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
batfink wrote:
The JLU figures currently have better paint apps and overall quality than they did when they first came out. Still not good enough. $30.00 plus shipping for a limited-edition three pack? Not good enough. They should be $10.00.

I don't agree with this, the 2003-2007 JL/JLU figures had excellent paint apps about 98% of the time, but later on the paint apps became horrible. 2009, 2010, and 2012 are the worst years for JLU in terms of paint quality.
So if anything it is a valid complaint about JLU's paint apps... http://www.cooltoyreview.com/Mattel/MATTEL_JLU_BATMAN_VANDAL-SAVAGE_FUTURE-SUPERMAN/MATTEL_JLU_BATMAN_VANDAL-SAVAGE_FUTURE-SUPERMAN-05.jpg
yeah... that is such quality. j/k ;)
Luckily though, mine is only about half as bad as that one. I have been very tempted to buy some of these figures from China, as paying 40 bucks for horribly done figures is a joke. I mean I would have a different view if Mattel had at least tried to make Vandal look good, and not like he was painted by a blind monkey.

D.

Last edited by Dusty on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:16 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
red Ricky wrote:
Here's my take on the whole MattyCollector vs. The Chinese Black Market debate:

1. If these figures have been selling out as Mattel claims, then Mattel has hit its Profit Max and can't possibly make any more money because they have sold all the product they had to sell. (FYI, The Vandal Savage 3-Pack Sold Out today.)

2. If the tabs the Chinese sellers keep on these figures are accurate, then I seriously doubt that the 38 to 64 figures sold, are enough to impact Mattel's bottom line.

If, on the other hand, Mattel has been removing product from their store in order to force people to make their purchase on certain dates and also prevent them from combining shipping...
Then, I'll be blunt and say that they only have themselves to blame. 'Cause the way that I say it:

1. They had time to make some of these sets more attractive and when making cosmetic changes like fixing Dr. Destiny, switching Batmans on the Mongul pack, and color correcting Mongul... They ignored some of the obvious things, like:

a. There being no need to even leave some of the other Batman Figures.

b. Like forgetting about Dr. Destiny's boots.

c. Like leaving Booster Gold; i.e. a character that has been released on 3 separate occasions and was widely available Nationally & Internationally.

d. Like leaving Martian Manhunter, i.e. a character that has been released in multiple forms and occasions; and is as prolific as Batman in terms of repaints. Literally there is the Original version, Transforming/Alien version, Clear version, Transition version, 9 POA version, Justice Lord version, Color Corrected version and Modern Version.

e. Like not adding Volcana when the opportunity arose.

f. Like removing Aquaman when there is a lot of demand for the character.

See...

People find value in those minor details. It's how they justify spending $40 dollars on painted plastic. And if Mattel is lying about the figures selling out, and not being able to store them (even though they have plenty of room for Battlecat, Wind Raider and the Palace Guards); then they only have themselves to blame for driving fans away.

Plus, there's the Shipping Issue.

And that is, it's hard to make a Moral Argument about the "right" or "wrong" of buying factory rejects, or possible stolen merchandise, when you look at the shipping rates being charged on Shop.Mattel.com.

I mean, let me be clear, I do not advocate an Eye For Eye; nor am I justifying going to the Black Market. I'm simply stating that Shop.Mattel.com will charge you $3.99 to ship you a single figure. and $5.99 to ship you six or more DCUC figures. And the people who see this, may very well think that MattyCollector is ripping them off.

When this happens, the moral dilemma goes out the window. Simply put, people won't feel bad for buying discarded or stolen property, if they believe Mattel is taking advantage of them in other areas.

But like I said... I'm not going to pass a moral judgement.

I'm simply going to point out that it's within Mattel to fix things. Clearly they can offer competitive shipping rates but choose not to. They can leave product available longer, but choose not to. They could even add customer service stock to their site, as it becomes available, but instead choose not to. And the more glaring oversight... they could have made running changes to these packs in order to make them more attractive to the Collector Market and/or justify the "average" price point of $38.70, but also choose not to.

See... I'm grateful for these last figures. I really am. But I just don't get why the people that run this line seem so lethargic. Why it looks like they are always satisfied to do the bare minimum?

When I do things... I always give it my best. I doesn't matter if I'm getting paid a lot, or I'm working for free; if my name is on the line, so is my pride. And the mere insinuation that my company was taking advantage of people through shipping, or that we were not giving customers more value for their money, would be enough to make me want to change things. I for one would not wait for my customers to leave, nor would I try to keep them by making promises I could not keep.

I agree, thanks for posting this. :)

D.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next