Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:01 pm 
Cold-cast

With how cheap they made these figures. My Wonder Woman fell off the shelf today onto the soft couch. She broke in two :x

I was kind of thankful now that my Mongul 3 pack came with a Woman Woman until I looked at her. It's a different sculpt & the paint is lighter colored. :x

If anyone has one of the version that broke at a very reasonable price. let me know. The eyes must be painted well with the thick eyeliner like the one pictured. I remember comparing many of them before I bought this one

Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 pm 
Collector Inspector

Looks like a quick fix to me. I can't tell if the blue peg is snapped or just popped out. If it's snapped, you can usea drill or dremmel to clear out the old peg and drill a hole for a new one. Improvise a new peg from a plastic pen or something similar, apply glue at both ends before reattaching the body segments and BOOM, back on the shelf she goes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:18 pm 
Cold-cast

That blue peg snapped off. I realize it's a quick fix & I already repaired her. But I won't have peace of mind until I get an undamaged one in my collection. Just the way I am about things :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:57 pm 
Brand Manager

I'm amazed you only have two Wonder Women.

What happened to the ones that came with the Hawk & Dove pack? The Question pack? The Blackhawk pack? The Etrigan pack? The Bizarro pack? And The Doomsday 6-pack?

Come to think of it... sounds like you won't have any problems finding a replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 pm 
Collector Inspector

Clayface wrote:
That blue peg snapped off. I realize it's a quick fix & I already repaired her. But I won't have peace of mind until I get an undamaged one in my collection. Just the way I am about things :lol:

lol I understand all too well, friend.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:56 pm 
Santos L. Halper

red Ricky wrote:
Come to think of it... sounds like you won't have any problems finding a replacement.

Yeah, but the point is he shouldn't have to. If you're going to charge what you charge for JLU, we the consumers expect just a little more as far as quality. I just got my Vandal Savage the other day and the right side of his hair is not painted. I mean, not painted! I never had this issue with JLU until now, or maybe I've just been lucky (having read other member's horror stories). So glad JLU is coming to end.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:08 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Krypton1976 wrote:
red Ricky wrote:

Yeah, but the point is he shouldn't have to. If you're going to charge what you charge for JLU, we the consumers expect just a little more as far as quality. I just got my Vandal Savage the other day and the right side of his hair is not painted. I mean, not painted! I never had this issue with JLU until now, or maybe I've just been lucky (having read other member's horror stories). So glad JLU is coming to end.

That's what you'll get when the rejects go in the packaging and the real figures walk out of the door for ebay accounts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:15 pm 
Cold-cast

j1h15233 wrote:
Krypton1976 wrote:

That's what you'll get when the rejects go in the packaging and the real figures walk out of the door for ebay accounts.

I disagree with this statement. Mattel's quality control has been non existent for years. They could care less about what utter garbage figures they put out as long as they are making money. At least when they were at retail I could search through the dozens of the same figure on the shelf to find the best paint apps. Didn't necessarily mean I got the best plastic, though. Because they quality of plastic that mattel used was junk on all the figures. Which was most likely the problem with my Wonder Woman. I agree krypton, I shouldn't have to worry about this. More proof mattel JLU products are made of the cheapest quality plastic. I have all my Kenner BTAS figures in a display case. I have Manbat & Batman on a Glider hanging above them with fishing line & hooks. Randomly they fall because the two sided stick sponge tape just stops adhering. They fall from a higher distance onto all the other figures below. Nothing has ever broken, even my customs & I've had them displayed since the late 90's.

red Ricky wrote:

What happened to the ones that came with the Hawk & Dove pack? The Question pack? The Blackhawk pack? The Etrigan pack? The Bizarro pack? And The Doomsday 6-pack?

I liked the one with the wider stance & the waist joint. She didn't come in as many packs as you think. Mostly it was the original sculpt. Besides when I got another one of her, usually the paint apps were horrendous, especially on the eyes. So I never kept duplicates of the original 7. I just gave them away or threw them out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Clearly because one figure breaks on a soft couch (which I find hard to believe) Mattel cares nothing about quality.

Are you sure you weren't having a giant battle in your living room playing with your figures and Mongul broke WW's back? Or maybe a friend or kid snapped the figure and then put it back to look like it was ok. Lots of anti-Wonder Women fans running around doing that I hear. Could be an epidemic. I'll have to be on the lookout to make sure mine is ok....

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:04 am 
Cold-cast

ian5555 wrote:
Clearly because one figure breaks on a soft couch (which I find hard to believe) Mattel cares nothing about quality.

Are you sure you weren't having a giant battle in your living room playing with your figures and Mongul broke WW's back? Or maybe a friend or kid snapped the figure and then put it back to look like it was ok. Lots of anti-Wonder Women fans running around doing that I hear. Could be an epidemic. I'll have to be on the lookout to make sure mine is ok....

She fell off the shelf above the couch. Onto the couch, that's it. I don't know what kind of household of disarray you have, but I don't have friends or kids running around my house when I'm not there. For the record, if you still " play " with your toys then you have bigger issues than that anyway :wink:

Besides some McFarlane figures that I had in the past ( reason why I stopped buying them ) these are the cheapest made figures that I have ever had. The quality control at Mattel seems to be non existent, the plastic they use is cheap & pretty rubbery on a lot of figures, the paint apps are terrible on most figures, the rubber they use for coats & capes seems to deteriorate. It seems like they just let anything leave the factory. Probably because they know it's all junk anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:15 am 
Aspires to be #1

Clayface wrote:
ian5555 wrote:

She fell off the shelf above the couch. Onto the couch, that's it. I don't know what kind of household of disarray you have, but I don't have friends or kids running around my house when I'm not there. For the record, if you still " play " with your toys then you have bigger issues than that anyway :wink:

Besides some McFarlane figures that I had in the past ( reason why I stopped buying them ) these are the cheapest made figures that I have ever had. The quality control at Mattel seems to be non existent, the plastic they use is cheap & pretty rubbery on a lot of figures, the paint apps are terrible on most figures, the rubber they use for coats & capes seems to deteriorate. It seems like they just let anything leave the factory. Probably because they know it's all junk anyway.

Then why do you have them? So many people want to come in here and complain, complain, complain about this stuff but you still buy them. My question is why?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:23 am 
Brand Manager

Clayface wrote:
red Ricky wrote:

I liked the one with the wider stance & the waist joint. She didn't come in as many packs as you think. Mostly it was the original sculpt. Besides when I got another one of her, usually the paint apps were horrendous, especially on the eyes. So I never kept duplicates of the original 7. I just gave them away or threw them out.

Just goofing around. 'Cause trust me, there are worst figures to lose. To quote the Cylons... this has happened before, and will happen again. I mean... when I was in your shoes, I kinda wished it'd been Woman Woman.

Those pegs are one of the reasons I' never liked the 9PoA approach for these figures. Where people saw articulation, I saw "break points."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:25 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Sadly the need for a sarcasm button rears it's ugly head again...oh well :?

I'm not saying you are lying but your vendetta against quality is pretty clear.

I'm sure there are some figures that have quality issues. I admit I am not overly particular in regards to paint and such on figures but mine all seem to be great. My nephews have been playing with my extra JLU figures for years and not one of them has broken. Just my experience but they seem pretty durable to me.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:53 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

They are probably very durable. the law of averages would state that in a line of manufactured figures a handful will probably be weak. Not everything can be 100% off the factory line there must be a tolerance somewhere. I would guess somewhere between 90-100% is the tolerance for their QC. In metal manufacturing an inspector will inspect every 5th or 10th piece in a production line. In their case it may be every 25, 50 or 100th piece. (That would be an interesting Ask Matty Question, what is the ratio of QC inspection per piece?) Just because those inspect okay doesn't mean something substandard doesn't slip through. You can't expect a company to check every single piece then nothing will ever get made.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:57 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

ow.

I didn't know I was due for a shot of reality today Van. Thanks for that.

:P

Couldn't have said it better myself.