Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

It's just common sense when you get past the anger. When you find problems at a retail level for a manufactured item it may not be the company's fault per say, it's just the way things happen. Like when you buy fresh fruit from a fruit stand, you may find a bad apple in a bag or a moldy strawberry in a bunch.

Now when it comes to these subscription figures or the three packs. If the runs are as small as Mattel claims I don't see why more frequent checks could be made on those figures but that's another discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:20 am 
Brand Manager

ian5555 wrote:
Sadly the need for a sarcasm button rears it's ugly head again...oh well :?

I'm not saying you are lying but your vendetta against quality is pretty clear.

Let me get this straight...

I show solidarity. And you immediately interpret that as me having a "vendetta against quality". 'Cause in layman's terms... "Mattel=Quality"

Yup, I totally get that!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:42 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Man, if those are all your figures, you really are the beacon of bad luck.

If those are just the examples of pictures you pulled off the 'net ... then that is exactly what they are, examples.

Yes, there will be the random figure that "slips through" no matter how stringent QC is. Its like Van said, they may be set up to check every 10th, 50th, whatever-th figure comes down the line, but that doesn't mean that one might slip through that interval.

For the record... I've had 2 figures break on me. 2.
Out of every DC figure I've purchased from Mattel, including DCU, DCIE, JLU, Action League, etc., I've only had to deal with 2 broken figures.

Yes, there are some issues with limb warping (nothing as drastic as what appears in the JLU Sinestro and DCUC Starfire examples mind you), and I'm not a stickler for perfect paint apps, but on the whole, Mattel's QC really isn't a problem based on my experience with them (Matty/DR customer service, on the other hand .....)

Your mileage may vary.

But to come raining blows down on a manufacturer (whether it be Mattel or Frigidaire or Remington or ...) because of a fairly minor instance of QC is really a tad bit out of place.

Again, those of us on the web that collectively talk about these are such a SMALL PERCENTAGE of the total marketplace, that it is easy to see an example as a trend.

Yeah, its frustrating and yes, it sucks. I get that. Be mad. Trust me, I know the feeling. But to say that Mattel is "out to get you" with shoddy QC, and a rallying cry to "gether the torches and pitchforks" ...

... man, this is fun to watch.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Cool story bro, wasn't talking to you RR.

Out of curiosity though how many Mattel DC figures would you say you have?

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14 am 

That Abin Sur head scar is disturbing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:26 am 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:
That Abin Sur head scar is disturbing.

Not really, it's just part of New 52 Hal's origin story. Hal flew his airplane so high that he found himself in outer space. Then he passes out and awakes to find himself in a glowing green bubble. When he comes to, Abin Sur tries to help him and get him back home but Hal pulls out a baseball bat he had hidden in his flight suit for emergencies and smashes Abin in the head, killing him. Then Hal takes the ring and becomes a green lantern.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:47 am 
Brand Manager

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Man, if those are all your figures, you really are the beacon of bad luck.

If those are just the examples of pictures you pulled off the 'net ... then that is exactly what they are, examples.

Yes, there will be the random figure that "slips through" no matter how stringent QC is.

Since you raised the level of discourse... Yes, not all of those pictures are mine. But when it comes to DC Universe Product, it's a recurring problem. Actually, it's a well known recurring problem. So much so, that the issue has been acknowledged by Mattel (and Toy Guru) on multiple occasions.

Yes, normal factories have QC standards that allow for mishaps to happen. But in Mattel's case, the problem is more prevalent, and it's been accepted by them as a matter fact. If you need a copy of the letter where they requested AFi'ers provide them with photos of our QC issues; I can give you that. There's also the ToyGuru youtube/podcast where he assures fans, that they're working on improving Matty's QC control (which was a HUGE deterrent when the subscriptions were first offered!) And so on, and so forth.

To be honest... in all my years of visiting boards, this is the first time I've seen someone claim that Mattel has adequate QC when it comes to DC Universe product.

And I say that as objectively as possible. I honestly do.

As far as my personal experience goes... it hasn't been good. It just hasn't. It literally has gotten to the point where I have developed a process to buying a Mattel figure.

Step 1: Check Paint Applications.
Step 2: Check for mismatched joints (i.e. two left or right... arms, legs, feet, biceps and forearms.)
Step 3: Make sure all accessories are in package (i.e. check for weapons, stands and C&C piece.)
Step 4: Buy
Step 5: Make sure figure and receipt are never separated.
Step 6: Open the package carefully.
Step 7: Carefully pull figure from package without bending any joints that could potentially break if they happened to be stuck.
Step 8: Check articulation.
Step 9: Boil water.
Step 10: Dip figure in hot water.
Step 11: Work the joints. Now that the plastic has some "give", it's easier to risk moving a hip.
Step 12: "Feel" the joints moving freely. If you move a joint, and it looks like it's returning to its previous position by itself, it is very likely that it's stuck.
Step 13.a: If figure is okay, pose it in neutral way (so as to correct warping) and "freeze it" by putting it in the fridge.
Step 13.b: If the figure is not okay... you still freeze it in the hopes that the expansions and contractions caused by the temperature change, will loosen that joint.
Step 14: Defrost by leaving the figure at room temperature.
Step 15: If joints are still stuck, go to Step 9 and repeat.
Step 16: If problem persists, grab your receipt and try to exchange defective figure.
Step 17: If you can't find a suitable replacement... curse a like a S.Jackson Sailor!!!
Step 18: Hope the figure gets "re-released."

Now... I think I have provided enough evidence so as to convince the most casual of buyers, about the problems one encounters on a daily basis when buying DC Universe product (i.e. JLU & DCUC.) But if specifics is what we need, I can still go through my collection. It's just that it's easier to point out the figures that had no problems, as opposed to the ones that did. Like I said... this is literally the first time I've seen people defend Mattel's quality control.

It's like a Unicorn!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:56 am 

It's not defending, it's just being realistic. Every toy company says the same thing, "Show us pictures and report to our customer service, ect or what not." Hasbro has problems, so does Character Options, Bandai, evidently Mattel.

It seems like Mattel has more problems than most because this is a majority Mattel board. If you visit some of the Who sites you would see Character rivals Mattel in problems and may even surpass them in miss-assembly and paint application.

I don't think it's right but it's just life. I'd even bet they cut their QC team down to maybe two or three individuals per plant or have none at all. I've seen some factories which have a QC sheet for machine operators to check for defects themselves.

It's a recurring problem everywhere not just with toys but with other items, hell even cars have this problem. No auto manufacturer is 100% perfect off the assembly line.

But what can we do? Honestly?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 am 
Brand Manager

The "show us where we can improve QC request" was a formal thing that was done at a convention and everything. There are even pictures of Toy Guru receiving lists from AFi, IAT and I think The Fwoosh.

As far as other companies go, I can honestly say that I haven't had any problems with Hasbro, Bandai, Toy Biz or Jakks Pacific. But to be honest, this has little to do with the name on the Marquee and more to do with the subcontracting. These chinese factories are not exclusive to Mattel or Hasbro. They will simply produce for whomever contracts them to produce. And just like with everything else in life... there are good Chinese Factories, which cost more; "okay" chinese factories which are okay; and mediocre ones which really suck. And it's no secret that some companies subcontract with the best and others subcontract with the cheapest. I'll leave up to you to put two & two together, but savy posters will remember the Factory Closeouts of 2007 which caused JLU to go on hiatus and gave us an endless supply of Fire & Ice 3-packs.

As far as cars go... I bought an Acura in 2001. Still have it. Still runs great. The only time it's been to the shop was because someone "dinged it". Knock on wood, I'm hoping it will last 4 more years, maybe 5. So in a way, it's similar. You know... 'cause some brands can be "more quality" than others.

No disrespect.

Last edited by red Ricky on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:32 am 
Aspires to be #1

People are still ignoring my question. If you have this much trouble with QC, then why are buying these items? I tried to get in to some Marvel Universe and most of the figures I bought were not up to par so I sold them all off and now I have nothing to do with them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:40 am 
5" Scale

Hey Clay(or anyone else), which Wonder Woman is this from? If it is from one of the old 3 packs or store line I'm sure I have a extra one. As others have pointed out Matty loves(loved) throwing these into a any pack out. Which means I probably have one. Send me a pm and if you have a little patience I can take a look around. As far as the Q/C issue, it is true everyone has them. There's not getting around that. Still, most companies aren't doing a mail order business. I can say as a collector it is frustrating to be getting the same quality that I got in stores and being charged a premium price due to low production. Shouldn't the Q/C be a bit better at this point. This, and several of the other lines aren't fledgling lines. Even if they changed factories things should have been fixed by now. Sorry, but these figures cost too much for there to be any issues. The same can be said for any line, but especially Matty because they are the one's constantly asking us to take a leap of faith with them :|

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:44 am 
5" Scale

j1h15233 wrote:
People are still ignoring my question. If you have this much trouble with QC, then why are buying these items? I tried to get in to some Marvel Universe and most of the figures I bought were not up to par so I sold them all off and now I have nothing to do with them.

Short answer, I'm not :wink: Longer answer, I'd love to support the last of the JLU, but with the amount of Q/C issues, price point + shipping/tax it is a added expense I can't stand by. No matter how much I loved the line and wanted these characters. Hopefully I'll be able to track them down the line. If not, they'll remain incomplete like some of my other lines I have.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:36 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

j1h15233 wrote:

This is so true. if I am not happy with a quality of a product I don't buy it. it is that simple for me. I buy a Ford and it breaks down on me all the time you know what I do? I don't buy a freakin Ford.

I have probably 200 JLU figures and 50+ DCUC figures and I haven't had an issue with any of them except a few bendy legs. You know what I did? I used small doll stands to display them so they don't fall down. JLU figures are not the ideal body type anyway. It's like those bodybuilder guys that forget they have legs to work out as well. They have problems standing around too...and getting through doorways for that matter...and putting their arms down :D

250 figures and no real issues is a pretty good track record for me for quality or maybe I was just born lucky :)

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:06 pm 
Cold-cast

The_Donster wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Short answer, I'm not :wink: Longer answer, I'd love to support the last of the JLU, but with the amount of Q/C issues, price point + shipping/tax it is a added expense I can't stand by. No matter how much I loved the line and wanted these characters. Hopefully I'll be able to track them down the line. If not, they'll remain incomplete like some of my other lines I have.

I'm not buying them anymore either for the same reasons Donster listed above. Plus I would add that I can't actually inspect them before I purchase & pick out the best painted ones.

Let me correct that, I am buying them. But from the chinese sellers on ebay where I can get them for $3 a piece. The figures aren't really even worth that in terms of quality, but I can deal with paying that for some figures that break & are terribly painted instead of the $40 price point through matty.

It's not a problem of a " few bad ones " slipped through the line. Overall these figures are just junk. Mattel uses very cheap inferior plastic compared to many other figures. BTW Wonder Woman wasn't the first figure I had that broke at the waist joint, the paint flaked off, figures started leaning over because of the soft plastic legs, etc.... She was just the most recent casualty & I thought that I got rid of all the " junk " in my collection. Which means I sold off over 100 substandard figures. I didn't expect any of the small amount that I had left to break like this!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:06 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I've had a pretty good track record with DCUC. Probably had trouble with 2-3 figures at most. Had more significant issues with SOTA's SFII line and DCDirect.

I do agree that Hasbro appears to have less QC issues than Mattel, however.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next