Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:30 pm 
shirtless hugger

red Ricky wrote:
I'm amazed you only have two Wonder Women.

What happened to the ones that came with the Hawk & Dove pack? The Question pack? The Blackhawk pack? The Etrigan pack? The Bizarro pack? And The Doomsday 6-pack?

Come to think of it... sounds like you won't have any problems finding a replacement.

That's what I was thinking too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:40 pm 
shirtless hugger

j1h15233 wrote:
People are still ignoring my question. If you have this much trouble with QC, then why are buying these items? I tried to get in to some Marvel Universe and most of the figures I bought were not up to par so I sold them all off and now I have nothing to do with them.

For me the answer is it’s just something I put up with because I wanted the figure. I bought way more JLU than I ever thought I would and I have had several lean at the ankles so I can’t display them standing anymore. When a figure falls from my display it is always a Mattel one. I also did cut way back on what I was collecting too because I felt I was getting ripped off by Mattel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:21 pm 
An Insider

Van Statten wrote:
That Abin Sur head scar is disturbing.

I think that was my Abin Sur photo. Maybe I should customize him as a Black Lantern with a really bad head wound.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Man, if those are all your figures, you really are the beacon of bad luck.

If those are just the examples of pictures you pulled off the 'net ... then that is exactly what they are, examples.

Yes, there will be the random figure that "slips through" no matter how stringent QC is. Its like Van said, they may be set up to check every 10th, 50th, whatever-th figure comes down the line, but that doesn't mean that one might slip through that interval.

For the record... I've had 2 figures break on me. 2.
Out of every DC figure I've purchased from Mattel, including DCU, DCIE, JLU, Action League, etc., I've only had to deal with 2 broken figures.

Yes, there are some issues with limb warping (nothing as drastic as what appears in the JLU Sinestro and DCUC Starfire examples mind you), and I'm not a stickler for perfect paint apps, but on the whole, Mattel's QC really isn't a problem based on my experience with them (Matty/DR customer service, on the other hand .....)

Your mileage may vary.

But to come raining blows down on a manufacturer (whether it be Mattel or Frigidaire or Remington or ...) because of a fairly minor instance of QC is really a tad bit out of place.

Again, those of us on the web that collectively talk about these are such a SMALL PERCENTAGE of the total marketplace, that it is easy to see an example as a trend.

Yeah, its frustrating and yes, it sucks. I get that. Be mad. Trust me, I know the feeling. But to say that Mattel is "out to get you" with shoddy QC, and a rallying cry to "gether the torches and pitchforks" ...

... man, this is fun to watch.

The Superman head picture is mine, as are the figures. All JL/JLU Superman head sculpts got lousy paint apps. after 2005.
I am so happy Mattel got it right in 2003, and that I got the figures then. Though, it's also pretty funny or sad... you would think as time goes by, products would get better in terms of quality, not worse, lol. :wink:

D.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:49 am 
5" Scale

So does anyone know which pack this particular Wonder Woman came in?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:59 am 
Cold-cast

The_Donster wrote:
So does anyone know which pack this particular Wonder Woman came in?

I know she came in

Wonder Woman, Hawk & Dove 3 pack,
Batman, Bizarro, Wonder Woman 3 pack
Purple card Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman 3 pack
The Doomsday 6 pack
Blue Card Mission Vision Wonder Woman single
Some other single packs, but I'm not sure what series. If she is wearing a cape that's her also. I can just cut the cape off her neck. Pretty sure that's what I did with mine anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:00 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
She also came in the TRU exclusive 7-pack featuring the main 7. T'was/t'is a cool pack I actually still have sealed, (I wish Mattel would have done more cool Packs like that for TRU.) But eh, they didn't, their loss. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:42 pm 
5" Scale

Alright, I'll do some digging around and see what I can find. If I'm lucky they are right on top somewhere and not buried :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:49 pm 
Cold-cast

Dusty wrote:
She also came in the TRU exclusive 7-pack featuring the main 7. T'was/t'is a cool pack I actually still have sealed, (I wish Mattel would have done more cool Packs like that for TRU.) But eh, they didn't, their loss. ;)

D.

The figures in the Toys R us pack were made much cheaper than their earlier renditions. I bought the pack, opened it so I could display all the original 7 without the knee & elbow joints. Those figures were literally made out of a soft rubber compound. Their legs were like rubber bands.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:17 am 
Aspires to be #1

Clayface wrote:
Dusty wrote:

D.

The figures in the Toys R us pack were made much cheaper than their earlier renditions. I bought the pack, opened it so I could display all the original 7 without the knee & elbow joints. Those figures were literally made out of a soft rubber compound. Their legs were like rubber bands.

Mine weren't but that does tell me you had a problem with the JLU figures and their quality pretty early on and still buy them today, so who's really at fault here?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:33 am 
5" Scale

Well to be fair J1H, when these started out they weren't a king's ransom to buy. That, and they were readily available initially. So I picked them up and hope that they hold up once I free them from their plastic prisons. If not, I'll at least not fret too much about the one's that didn't cost a kings ransom :|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:02 am 
Cold-cast

j1h15233 wrote:
Mine weren't but that does tell me you had a problem with the JLU figures and their quality pretty early on and still buy them today, so who's really at fault here?

I returned that pack right after I saw how cheaply they were made. Besides it wasn't very early in the line. That pack came out in 2007 which was when mattel started cutting costs by using cheaper plastics & paint.

Anyway, I see what you are trying to do here by twisting my words. Yes I openly would admit these figures sucked & were made like crap back then . But I bought them because I was a fan of the show & wanted to obtain all their plastic counterparts. I also wasn't paying $40 for a 3 pack. Also back then all stores were carrying the line & singles were $3.99 & 3 packs were $9.99. At times you could find figures at Marcs & Big Lots for even less. There was usually enough in stock at each store that I would have a selection to choose the best paint app for each figure, so at least I wasn't getting sent the " sloppy " ones. At the price you all are paying for these 3 packs now, there should be NO sloppy ones. Apparently you or mattel don't seem to realize that. If I would have paid $40 for some of those Vandal Savage's I've seen pictured, I would be livid. Overspray, sloppy line work, the hair & beards are a mess. Plus the figure is too small to begin with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:06 pm 
Aspires to be #1

How is 2007 not early in the line? It started in 04-05 and will end in 12. And I'm not saying bad qc is acceptable but I don't come here and complain about it over and over and still buy the figures.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:11 pm 
Cold-cast

2004-05 May have been when you started collecting, but the line started years earlier than that. Look at your packaging from series one of the original seven with those stands if you proof.

Anyway, did you read my post above? What more do I have to say about not continuing to buy them & I even elaborated why. Secondly that's not what this thread is about anyway. I'm just trying to keep the crap figures that I have from randomly breaking. Which is tough because the slightest change in temperate & these things just basically start to droop or fall apart. I get annoyed when a toy I have on display just randomly falls apart & then I have to hunt out a replacement. Which lead me to this.... Third, I fixed her, but the figures that I do have I want to be unbroken. So I just want to replace this version Wonder Woman figure with an undamaged one.

You're the one who decided to change the topic by posting this smart comment

j1h15233 wrote:
That's what you'll get when the rejects go in the packaging and the real figures walk out of the door for ebay accounts.

Yeah, I'm really sure that's how it happens....... the chinese factory workers sneak all the good ones out the door just so they can sell them on ebay & package up all the defects :roll: I really do hope you were just being sarcastic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:39 pm 
ABS

I feel your pain, a few years back, my Volcana's head fell off. I almost cried. :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next