Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Mega Bloks: World of Warcraft
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:01 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I picked up the griffin and wyvern sets a few days ago. In short: unexpectedly awesome.

In less short: I'm a huge Lego fan, especially castle-themed sets, and I've always considered Mega Bloks to be off-brand junk. I suppose seeing all the pretty cool Halo sets on shelves over the last couple years helped the brand's image in my subconscious - I dunno. Anyway. Like Jeff Cope said, these weren't on my radar whatsoever (I, too, just began playing the free trial WoW for the first time over the last week). When I saw them the first time at Target, I thought they looked pretty cool, but I didn't buy them. The second time they sucked me in. I'll probably end up picking up a couple of the single figures and the cat/rocket two-pack.

Comparisons to Lego aren't quite fair, since (with the exceptions of the zeppelin and the huge Stormwind set) they're not exactly a building toy - more like a MiniMate, really, sort of a Lego minifig/3.75" action figure hybrid. If this line is developed to the extent that Halo has been, the customization potential for these little guys is huge. WoW designs are actually very consistent with how Mega Bloks has stylized these figures, so in that sense they're much more successful than Lego's licensed minifigs, which, as cool as they always are, are first and foremost Lego minifigs.

Surprisingly satisfied with them. Probably won't get the big building sets, but I can see myself amassing a little army of the figures and mounts.

PS The couple of BrickForge weapons I have actually work way better with these WoW guys than Lego minifigs.

Post subject: Re: Mega Bloks: World of Warcraft
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:38 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

For anyone who might be picking these up but isn't close to a TRU... Target, as far as I know, hasn't been carrying the single figures, but I stumbled upon one at a Walgreen's, of all places (Colton, human paladin). I stopped by another Walgreen's after work, and, sure enough, there were a couple orcs (Ragerock) and a Night Elf (Ironoak). Picked up both of them. $6.99 apiece.

Just FYI.