Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:11 pm 
Cold-cast

For my complaint in this thread. I really don't care what you all think about it & you can make smart " a " comments about it all day long & come up with ridiculous stories. The fact is a figure I have fell apart & it shouldn't have. I have figures from when I was young that have stood the test of time. Why can't these? Yeah, because they are made like crap. But yes I continued to buy them because I loved the show. Tell you the truth it became an addiction to a point. I had to have them all. I did a pretty good job at keeping up also. I had them all except for the elusive STAS Aquaman. I actually didn't realize how truly lucky I was to have easily found Volcana, all the purple card figures, the 6 packs, etc.... Until I started reading toy forums & looking on ebay. Unlucky at cards, lucky at toys :lol: Or something like that. But all in all, I have to disagree with this being the best toyline for all the obvious reasons. BTAS by Kenner may not have had as many characters, but it is a much better line IMO. I would just rather have quality over quantity. mattel's JLU line was just about how much they could put out. The quality lacking in many areas of this line is an understatement.

BTW Dusty yeah, I would have & still would post in the swap meet that I need a new Wonder Woman like this. But unfortunately certain mods around here would rather just delete & edit posts instead of accepting people into the swap meet section or any any PM's that you send them.

Dusty I had my original JL figures besides Hawkgirl in October of 2002. My girlfriend & I were shopping for a Halloween costume. She picked one out & I just happen to go by the toy store & see the Justice League figures. It looked like they only got in a case because there weren't many out there. I only had so much cash on me, so needless to say we walked out with JL, Superman, MM, GL, Batman, Wonder Woman, & The Flash. She was definitely a bit upset that we weren't walking out with her costume. Worried that her size wouldn't there later. So I ran home, got more money, & got the costume an hour later. I searched for Hawkgirl for months & was wondering how I kept missing her? But the didn't release her in the original cases. I think I finally got her 6 months later.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:58 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Maybe it isn't the figure but the couch and you thought you were buying a "soft couch" but in reality the quality is bad and the couch is actually harder. I would find a forum where you can discuss about the quality of soft couches and get some feedback.

Now I am worried. I thought I have a soft couch but maybe I really do not. I'm going to test it on a few of my extra JLU figures to see if any break.

How are the paint apps on the couch? Quality of the wood? Who is the manufacturer? I shall stay away from whoever makes those couches for sure.

I kid :)

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:14 am 
shirtless hugger

ian5555 wrote:
Maybe it isn't the figure but the couch and you thought you were buying a "soft couch" but in reality the quality is bad and the couch is actually harder. I would find a forum where you can discuss about the quality of soft couches and get some feedback.

Now I am worried. I thought I have a soft couch but maybe I really do not. I'm going to test it on a few of my extra JLU figures to see if any break.

How are the paint apps on the couch? Quality of the wood? Who is the manufacturer? I shall stay away from whoever makes those couches for sure.

I bet if you'd bought your couch directly from a Chinese factory worker, it would've been higher quality than the one you got at retail.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:16 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

It seems like I remember buying some of the first figures back in 2002 as well. In fact it was at my local comic shop and I'm pretty sure I was there when he opened the case. I don't remember Martian Manhunter being part of the 1st assortment though. It was a little while before I found him or Hawkgirl. I know for a fact I found MM in his "alien" form before the standard one altough I know they weren't released that way. I also have to say I'm pretty foggy on whether I got Wonder Woman at the comic shop that day. I know for certain I walked out with GL/Bats/Supes/Flash that day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:17 am 
Aspires to be #1

Joe G. wrote:
ian5555 wrote:

I bet if you'd bought your couch directly from a Chinese factory worker, it would've been higher quality than the one you got at retail.

But the shipping!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:19 am 
shirtless hugger

The initial assortment of Justice League figures was Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and The Flash. Wonder Woman and J'onn came later, and Hawkgirl even later still.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:16 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Shipping? The Chinese offer Free Shipping! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 am 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:
Shipping? The Chinese offer Free Shipping! :lol:

In that case, we should just order the Mattel factory and have it shipped over.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:33 am 

Hell yeah! Get that place staffed and running... They move whole castles and restaurants over seas brick by brick why not a factory? Give some US Citizens some jobs... :lol:

Seriously, I would love to see our stuff produced here. Sure it would mean actual real wages being paid and maybe even dare I say Unions but how kick ass would that be? I remember when GoBots were produced here cause well Tyco made everything here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:55 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

That would be great . . . if you want to pay $30 for a 3.75 inch action figure.

:roll:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:02 am 

Sure why not? :lol: They'll get there eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 am 
shirtless hugger

Paint apps and plastic quality do suck with the JLU line. But when the paint is clean and the figure is standing straight up the figures look great. especially grouped together. That is why we continue to buy the figures even though we complain about quality. Getting the pack through Matty is now a crap shoot with quality and it stinks. But it's risk vs reward and the reward can be an awesome B.T. style figure. I touch up my JLU figures with paint all the time. I've super glued them to stands and have done every trick in the book to make them continue to look good. I shouldn't have to do this but it's worth it when your JLU display looks awesome.

As for the car example, it doesn't work. If I want a Mustang but am unhappy with Ford I can't exactly get a Mustang elsewhere. Same with JLU. I could switch to Hasbro and Marvel figures but I want B.T. style JLU figures so I was stuck with Mattel. Again, the figures can look GREAT but they can need a lot of work from the consumer at times to clean them up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:54 am 
Cold-cast

whakojacko1976 wrote:
It seems like I remember buying some of the first figures back in 2002 as well. In fact it was at my local comic shop and I'm pretty sure I was there when he opened the case. I don't remember Martian Manhunter being part of the 1st assortment though. It was a little while before I found him or Hawkgirl. I know for a fact I found MM in his "alien" form before the standard one altough I know they weren't released that way. I also have to say I'm pretty foggy on whether I got Wonder Woman at the comic shop that day. I know for certain I walked out with GL/Bats/Supes/Flash that day.

You may be right on this, since I kept sealed ones of the figures that were tough to find & I do have a MM, WW, & Hawkgirl still on card. It wasn't they were tough to find, they just weren't shipping yet :lol: But I am positive that I had Justice League figures in October or 2002. I'm pretty sure I had MM & WW before Christmas that year. Hawkgirl, I didn't find until later in 2003

bat313 wrote:
Paint apps and plastic quality do suck with the JLU line. But when the paint is clean and the figure is standing straight up the figures look great. especially grouped together. That is why we continue to buy the figures even though we complain about quality. Getting the pack through Matty is now a crap shoot with quality and it stinks. But it's risk vs reward and the reward can be an awesome B.T. style figure. I touch up my JLU figures with paint all the time. I've super glued them to stands and have done every trick in the book to make them continue to look good. I shouldn't have to do this but it's worth it when your JLU display looks awesome.

As for the car example, it doesn't work. If I want a Mustang but am unhappy with Ford I can't exactly get a Mustang elsewhere. Same with JLU. I could switch to Hasbro and Marvel figures but I want B.T. style JLU figures so I was stuck with Mattel. Again, the figures can look GREAT but they can need a lot of work from the consumer at times to clean them up.

When I was younger, I collected a lot of toys, But now I kind of outgrew that, I guess. I do agree, the only thing I really collect anymore are Gremlins by Neca & the Bruce Timm style figures. I will never forget the day I was at a comic con & they unveiled the teaser for BTAS. I remember thinking it was the most amazing thing that I had ever seen in cartoon form. It stuck with me since I was young & I still think the Timmverse toons are the best there is. This love for the series makes me buy these crappy toys.

I remember at one time I actually was thinking bout quitting buying these for all the reasons I mentioned. I was tired of buying them, only to buy the same figure again because they broke or had better paint. I was very familiar with how things went with this line. When I saw a figure I would buy it, no matter what it looked like. Because there could have been a chance that I never saw it again. So sometimes I got stuck with a terrible painted figure & sometimes I bought a replacement. Anyway, that was getting kind of old. So I really did want to stop purchasing these. Then mattel announced some up & coming figures. Steel, Zatanna, Etrigan..... all figures that I could blend into my STAS & BTAS displays that I had in a showcase for years. I always wanted a Zatanna. I made a custom of her in the 90's using an extra Kenner Harley Quinn I had, but it was just never the same as an actual toy produced by a company. So the fact that mattel started to produce characters that were also from the older series, kept me going 100% with this. Some can blend in pretty decent. Others just really suck because they made the way too small * cough * FIREFLY * cough * I understand that these figures aren't made to blend with my Kenner figures, but they could do a better job than that. Firefly is too small for JLU even. It was one hell of a journey, But when it's all said & done, I still really rather Hasbro have this license than mattel because if Hasbro made these figures I probably wouldn't have too worry about which figure may fall apart next.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Joe G. wrote:
The initial assortment of Justice League figures was Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and The Flash. Wonder Woman and J'onn came later, and Hawkgirl even later still.

Yeah that sounds right. Anyhow I'm pretty sure I bought Wonder Woman the same day I bought the "Quick Change" Martian Manhunter figure. It just seemed like when I bought the 1st four figures I went back to the same book store a few days later and the other guy working there found out I bought them and asked me how they looked together. I thought he asked me, "Is WW actually taller than GL?" and I said yes but maybe it was after I actually found WW that he asked me that or that he instead asked me, "Is Flash taller than GL?" which I would have been able to verify right away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:06 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Clayface wrote:
But unfortunately certain mods around here would rather just delete & edit posts instead of accepting people into the swap meet section or any any PM's that you send them.

Enough. I don't understand why you feel you are above the rules of this forum, or why we need to keep editing and deleting your posts even after you've been repeatedly advised by moderators to avoid using improper language. I don't care if other forums allow it, nor do I care that you claim to be a moderator in other communities. Neither has any bearing here.

When you signed up at AFi, you agreed to the rules of this forum, and you can either adhere to them or leave. It's your choice.

Clear?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next