Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:19 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6176
Location: Shelbyville, KY
Van Statten wrote:
They are probably very durable. the law of averages would state that in a line of manufactured figures a handful will probably be weak. Not everything can be 100% off the factory line there must be a tolerance somewhere. I would guess somewhere between 90-100% is the tolerance for their QC. In metal manufacturing an inspector will inspect every 5th or 10th piece in a production line. In their case it may be every 25, 50 or 100th piece. (That would be an interesting Ask Matty Question, what is the ratio of QC inspection per piece?) Just because those inspect okay doesn't mean something substandard doesn't slip through. You can't expect a company to check every single piece then nothing will ever get made.



Hell when they make caulk-- they only check 5 tubes every 1/2 hour per line for fill weight- and they produce around 2000 tubes per hour--

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:14 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Clayface wrote:

Dusty I had my original JL figures besides Hawkgirl in October of 2002. My girlfriend & I were shopping for a Halloween costume. She picked one out & I just happen to go by the toy store & see the Justice League figures. It looked like they only got in a case because there weren't many out there. I only had so much cash on me, so needless to say we walked out with JL, Superman, MM, GL, Batman, Wonder Woman, & The Flash. She was definitely a bit upset that we weren't walking out with her costume. Worried that her size wouldn't there later. So I ran home, got more money, & got the costume an hour later. I searched for Hawkgirl for months & was wondering how I kept missing her? But the didn't release her in the original cases. I think I finally got her 6 months later.

Okay old chum, he he he, I have to call you on this one because... WW and MM were not released until April-May of 2003 they were not in the same wave as the originals. They came with variants of Batman and Superman. I recall I was not able to find just the first wave until I traveled to Florida at the end of January 2003. Reason for January is that Mattel had bought the DC License but was not allowed to put any product out until 2003. Hasbro still had it until the end of 2002, (hence the huge amount of crappy Bat Variants and such that splurged toy stores more than usual.) I suppose it is possible the owner of the shop you got your figures at had an underground connection or something ;) j/k, because legally Mattel could not release any DC product until 2003. The reason we got them so quickly in 2003 is that Mattel knew the show had been going for years now, and so they wanted to put them out as quickly as possible to gain some money before momentum of the show ran out. But I suppose this long post is a moot point. There is no reason for me to comment about it any further. You have your opinion I suppose, and there is no way to convince the changing of those, ;) Plus like I said I have already posted too much about this subject, lol.
Good day sir. :)

Edit: Yet again I am late to the party, many already stated MM and WW came later, Curse my schedule!!! ;)


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 pm 
User avatar
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 am
Posts: 1592
Wish I still had my sales slip from the day I bought those 1st 4 JL figures so I could know for certain. Not that I doubt your story Dusty but sometimes things slip through the cracks. It wouldn't be the 1st time I got something before it was supposed to be released publicly. And I wasn't anticipating the release of these figures either. I had no idea I was buying them until the day they showed up at my LCBS. I didn't even know they were being made. Funny thing is I didn't have them very long before they just went into storage. I skipped soooo many figures after the original 7 were released too. I passed on Ultra Humanite, Luthor 2-pack, Darkseid, and so many other 3-packs at first. It's amazing how so much has changed. I can't believe how many JLU figures I now have 10 (or 9 3/4 :wink: ) years later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:21 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
lol, you can say 10 years it is almost there anyway, ;) I still have my receipts but that would prove nothing except it would confirm that I bought mine in January 2003, lol.
I mean, I wish the figures came out in 2002, then I could have gotten them sooner. In Jan. 2003 I called every Target Store in my State and only 2 I believe said they had 1 batman figure. the other 5-6 said no DPCI for the figures showed up at all. I even tried looking up eBay but I couldn't find them there either, lol. :lol:


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:40 pm 
User avatar
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 am
Posts: 1592
Since I bought my figures at my LCBS my receipt wouldn't prove anything either other than I paid about $9 for 4 "somethings" back in whenever. I'd know what it was for but nobody else would.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:52 pm 
Knows his stuff
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 531
Joe G. wrote:
[

I bet if you'd bought your couch directly from a Chinese factory worker, it would've been higher quality than the one you got at retail.



Joe G. - I really had to SPIT my drink out the second I read your 1 line post! Too FUNNY! Good show sir...GOOD Show!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:40 pm 
User avatar
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
Posts: 8275
Location: Phoenix Metropolitan Area
Dusty wrote:
lol, you can say 10 years it is almost there anyway, ;) I still have my receipts but that would prove nothing except it would confirm that I bought mine in January 2003, lol.
I mean, I wish the figures came out in 2002, then I could have gotten them sooner.


Why on Earth do you still have receipts from 10 years ago? :shock:

I've never kept a toy receipt longer than 90 days.

_________________
Leave it up to a billionaire to buy the world some time --- Tony Stark

Trade Rating +55 and counting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:44 pm 
PVC
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:28 pm
Posts: 199
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
i love JLU and i will admit that the quality isn't great bu i am glad i have them. they may not be perfect but they are mine and they bring a smile to my face when i look at them. it makes me sad that the line will be ending but all things must end. i will now be down to collecting the sub figs for dcuc and looking for old super powers figures. other than those my toy collecting days are done.

_________________
Thanks for reading


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:52 pm 
User avatar
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 401
The Superfly wrote:
Enough. I don't understand why you feel you are above the rules of this forum, or why we need to keep editing and deleting your posts even after you've been repeatedly advised by moderators to avoid using improper language. I don't care if other forums allow it, nor do I care that you claim to be a moderator in other communities. Neither has any bearing here.

When you signed up at AFi, you agreed to the rules of this forum, and you can either adhere to them or leave. It's your choice.

Clear?


I don't. Jim & I worked this out in a PM after I posted this. All I wanted was some communication on the matter that I didn't even understand. We did that, case closed. So I don't understand why you are chiming in now since it seems like you know what took place. But since you are.....

Ummmm...... 2 posts, dude & maybe because I wasn't advised by " moderators " at all what was against the rules. They just deleted my post & went on their way. The so called " rule " I broke is not in the guidelines, I guess it was discussed on this forum at one time & I had no idea because I wasn't even here at the time. It's not like I dropped a bunch of F bombs so I had no idea what happened when my post was just deleted! The term I used was not a vulgarity & tell you the truth I didn't even remember using it in the first post which no one explained to me anyway. Post 2 comes up & this time the word was edited out. Ok, so now I at least know what word I am supposedly not supposed to use. Yes on that post I actually got a brief PM from one moderator not to use a particular word on the forum.

Yes, I signed up for AFI & read the rules. Pretty much similar to every other forum online. But obviously there are some unwritten rules around here that need to be explained when you delete someone's post. As an administrator of other forums what I learned is not to let it goto your head & communicating with someone who has a problem is the best way to resolve the issue. Let them know what they did that was against the rules, because sometimes there is a gray area. Maybe you need a little more of that around here. That post got the moderator's attention & he let me know the details of what I did & why my post was deleted. Before that I couldn't get a response & I knew he was on because I saw him post. I thanked Jim for finally responding to me, since now I realize the situation & it's over.

_________________
MATTEL JUST SUCKS!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:05 am 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Shellhead wrote:
Dusty wrote:
lol, you can say 10 years it is almost there anyway, ;) I still have my receipts but that would prove nothing except it would confirm that I bought mine in January 2003, lol.
I mean, I wish the figures came out in 2002, then I could have gotten them sooner.


Why on Earth do you still have receipts from 10 years ago? :shock:

I've never kept a toy receipt longer than 90 days.

When I finally got the figures my family was on vacation in Florida (Utah got zip back in the day) Anyways I suppose keeping them was another way to keep my memory fresh of the places we went and saw... It was one of my last big family vacations, so I wanted to keep a few key things, (airplane tickets, amusement park tickets, receipts, etc,) Silly?... Maybe, but it is nice that sometimes whenever I have have to clean out my house and whatnot that I find these old receipts among photos and such and they bring other fond memories back that the photos, tickets, and actual toys I bought do not.
I know it makes no sense... Well maybe just to me, ;)


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:16 am 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Logan wrote:
i love JLU and i will admit that the quality isn't great bu i am glad i have them. they may not be perfect but they are mine and they bring a smile to my face when i look at them. it makes me sad that the line will be ending but all things must end. i will now be down to collecting the sub figs for dcuc and looking for old super powers figures. other than those my toy collecting days are done.

Another Utahn, (how did I not notice before? Lol) ;) Anyways I agree I love having so many of the JL figures I do. I may hate some of the quality and other junk Mattel has done but I am happy more than anything else about JL/JLU. I now hope to collect DC LEGOS and possibly DCC's new Arkham City figures coming, though I still am missing 90% of the AA and AC line, lol, (I missed out on them before... Stupid me.) Anyways, I like the new sculpts shown at NYCC but DCC has sucky QC so far. Hopefully though, they will get better So I can have something else fun to collect... Sorry random long post over. :)


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:44 pm 
ABS
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:48 pm
Posts: 253
Location: new jersey, parlin
I'm having such bad luck, my Wonder Woman just fell of her shelf too and the same problem, anyone got an extra?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mattel never ceases to amaze me!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm 
User avatar
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 am
Posts: 1592
No. Partly because most of my Wonder Women like that one broke in the same way. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.044s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]