Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back to the Future Hoverboard
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Wow.

Scott answers pretty much EVERY barb thrown at him with "we had an overwhelmingly POSITIVE response by those who held the board at NYCC"

Im sure this is making some of those who were going to go in on the Greyskull pre-order take a step back and pause for a moment.

I kinda think Mattel is in a no-win situation here.

If they stand their ground and the complaints continue, its just bad PR. If they cave and try to alter anything based on the criticism flying around right now (and again, I have absolutely no idea if it is justified or not), they will forever be at the mercy of their customer base and will have no basis for making judgements going forward.

I'd hate to be in Matty's shoes (anytime really, but I'm specifically referring to this issue).

If anyone can post links to pics of the final HB prop v the movie prop and what some of the specific complaints are I'd love to see em.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:09 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

The Trade Commission would laugh at this...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:18 am 
Brand Manager

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
So... apparently its not just the MOTUC and JLU crowd that goes off the deep end at Mattel.

Im not really sure what all the fuss is about as I haven't been paying that much attention but people are going ape $h!+ over the upcoming Hoverboard replica in the worst way.

The movie replica folks can be a vicious lot. But technically speaking, they are paying for an exact replica. Not an approximation.

Oh, well! I guess it will be up to the courts to determine if Mattel failed to deliver what they promised, which will probably bleed into Digital River's no refund/no cancelation policy.

Anyways... you can find out all the grand details, and excruciating measurements, in the following thread.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/mattycollector ... dex17.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 am 
Aspires to be #1

It looks pretty close to me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:35 am 
Cold-cast

To be fair, they do have a point. Mattels own words "Movie-accurate down to the smallest detail". Plus they had access to the original props. There is a laundry list of problems. The edges are wrong, the little dots are too big, the foot strap doesn't have fur, the handle bar hole is pink instead of black, etc etc. And that's just the top. From what I understand the pads on the bottom are wrong too. Also TGs descriptions have changed from prop replica to awesome toy. I don't blame them for being pissed when paying for "movie accurate" becomes simply "well it's close".

I'm sure it has had an effect on CG and it should. If "design" doesn't like something then to heck with what was promised to get peoples money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:36 am 
shirtless hugger

j1h15233 wrote:
It looks pretty close to me

Close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, and hoverboards!

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

Post subject: Re: Back to the Future - Hoverboard Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:42 am 

ummm.... wow. I just can't seem to stop laughing at the venom surrounding this.

Can't wait for Greyskull to go through and then watch this all again next year with the MOTUC crowd.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:48 am 
5" Scale

I agree Mattel is selling this as a movie prop, but I know me only spending $120 on something like this from Mattel, its not going to be 100% right.

They are a toy company playing around with movie props.

Its like the $100 Vader light saber I have, its not 100% movie accurate, but its also only $100 vs what a REAL movie prop replica would cost.

Not saying people cant be unhappy with it, but I am willing to bet people will have no issue moving these if they don't want their pre-orders, not to mention the 6" scale board that comes with it.

Bottom line is we are buying these things from a company that is a toy maker, not a high end collectable company. Right or wrong, thats what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:53 am 

I just had a couple of coworkers look over my shoulder while reading through some of the other sites' hoverboard threads and every single one of them had the same reaction:

"They're making a Hoverboard?!?! That is so cool!"

and

"What is up with those people, they really need to get a grip on reality. I'll gladly take that".

Goes to show you, "you can't please all the people all of the time..." ("... and apparently Mattel can't please anyone any of the time" :wink: )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:23 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

I think a lot of the anger comes from the fact that Scott promised the lenticular sticker surface, and in the end they kinda cheaper out and went with a flat regular sticker. This seems to be one if the big sticking points. Talk about a vocal but not numerous crowd! They are definitely angry about it over there!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:30 am 
5" Scale

Captain Collector wrote:
I think a lot of the anger comes from the fact that Scott promised the lenticular sticker surface, and in the end they kinda cheaper out and went with a flat regular sticker. This seems to be one if the big sticking points. Talk about a vocal but not numerous crowd! They are definitely angry about it over there!

I am normally a very vocal support of Mattel and TG, but that man really needs to learn how to under promise and over perform. He has such a bad habit of just talking about the great things they will do and they do not cost out, he looks like a liar. I dont think he does it to be "evil", he just need to tone it back a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:09 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Sounds like Scott is in the wrong business... I bet he majored in Political Science in college.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:00 am 
Cold-cast

fball13z wrote:
I am normally a very vocal support of Mattel and TG, but that man really needs to learn how to under promise and over perform. He has such a bad habit of just talking about the great things they will do and they do not cost out, he looks like a liar. I dont think he does it to be "evil", he just need to tone it back a bit.

Tone it back a bit? The man needs a refresher course in honesty. Badly. With insane comments on the hover board like "As movie accurate as humanly possible!". Or Stinkors forearms, or his "every sub holder got a Fisto" claim, etc etc. But I agree with you that he doesn't do it just to be evil. The man wants to keep his job. He's just another corporate toadie, but liar would seems to be an appropriate description.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:46 pm 
5" Scale

Well Mattel has offered that anyone that wants to cancel their preorder b/c they are not happy with the final product shown at NYCC.

So now people have an out, dont like it, dont pay for it.

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve/fo ... 1981017387

Hoverboard Customers: Last week at New York Comic Con, we revealed a pre-production model of our upcoming Back to the Future™ Prop Replica. It was developed in conjunction with the original films’ special effects supervisor, Michael Lantieri, prop maker/special effects expert, Mary Anne Lantieri, and the co-producer and co-writer of the trilogy, Bob Gale, and is based on the more than 30 slight variations of Hoverboard props used in the classic film series. If you placed a pre-order, we wanted to let you know that if you’re in any way unhappy with the product we’ve shown so far, you can opt out of the pre-order. We want to ensure every customer is satisfied, so if you prefer not to purchase the Hoverboard prop replica, please visit our Customer Service page and we will gladly cancel any unshipped order. https://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/contact

--Matty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:12 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Did the Ghostbuster fans have any issues with the GB props Mattel turned out?...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next