Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reasons Why DC Nation Vanished?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:58 pm 
Cold-cast

Bleeding Cool had this interesting article on the possible reasons why DC Nation was abruptly pulled from the schedule:

Quote:
There have been several people willing to talk, all of them anonymously. Pretty much everything I heard from one person was corroborated by another. So I’ve compiled it all. Even when it seems like overkill, or contradiction, none of this came from just one source.

Here are the theories, all of them posited as fact by sources of various standing. Treat them as rumours, but I know which ones I’d put my stock in.

1. Young Justice is the biggest problem

Young Justice characters like Static and Rocket were created as part of Milestone, the DC imprint designed to reset the balance of ethnic representation in comic books. I’m no expert on the ins and outs of it, but we’re hearing there’s a rights issue here, with extra royalties due for the use of these characters – and particularly in respect of them appearing on merchandise.

2. Nobody is buying any toys

Talking of merch, there are some voices telling us that these shows just weren’t shifting enough of the ancillary tie-ins, and this also had a knock-on effect on the value of advertising slots. If the Green Lantern toys were flying off the shelves, it would make sense to remind the kids they exist before, during and after every episode; seeing as they’re not, the ad would be pretty much a waste of dollars.

This is particularly problematic in the run up to December where Cartoon Network want to offer their gung-ho ‘Holiday’ advertisers the kind of slots they want – and, apparently, they don’t want slots during DC Nation.

3. Production delays

The block was running out of “shorts” and “extras” and was essentially going to turn into just Young Justice and Green Lantern back to back, so the idea of a DC-themed hour that gave space lots of their different properties was waning. By holding fire until January, the whole package will be complete again, maximising its value as overall DC branding.

4. Cartoon Network and WB had a falling out over future shows

Work on Beware the Batman was not pleasing Cartoon Network, and an unannounced Justice League show wasn’t cutting it either, so the partnership started to disagree about future directions. Rather than plough on, they’ve decided to burn off the episodes so far produced, dissolve the block and deal with each future DC-themed show on an ad-hoc, one-by-one basis.

So there’s a lot of chatter going on about DC Nation, but still no official statement about what will happen in January or beyond. We’ll keep digging. Expect to hear more about at least two of the above notions in the coming days.

See: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/17/ ... -vanished/

Post subject: Re: Reasons Why DC Nation Vanished?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:02 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

None of this is good news.

Bye bye Season 3.

:(

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 pm 
4" scale

One of the show's creators also insinuated via twitter that CN doesn't feel that the style of the show appeals to today's kids (likely the ongoing story line throughout the season).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:39 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I don't know that seems to work with Transformers Prime... the neighborhood kids don't miss a beat!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 pm 
Collector Inspector

Wildcard wrote:
One of the show's creators also insinuated via twitter that CN doesn't feel that the style of the show appeals to today's kids (likely the ongoing story line throughout the season).

I can kinda see CN argument/side of this.
People keep saying YJ is just a kids show, but in my view it skews more to the adult.
And not just in the ongoing seasonal storyline.
The tone and imagery of the show is really dark and foreboding. Not really what you see in a kids show.
And the show does somethings and has some themes that even I as a twenty-something find KINDA CREEPY.
And if I a twenty-something thinks that, what do kids think?

But at the same time a good chunk of the problem is the corporations involved.
CN Never deciding/knowing when they are going to show it. The lack of consistent showings is whats killing this show.
Mattel making a very sub-par toy line. They should have never made it a "continuation", "in the spirit of" JLU.

Hope all this stuff doesn't delay Beware the Batman. That is one show and toy line I am seriously looking forward to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:23 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I hope all of this leads to that Batman cartoon never seeing the light of day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

"If the Green Lantern toys were flying off the shelves"

What GL toys? I've been waiting for an Animated line to be released.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:20 pm 
Cold-cast

I really hope we do see Beware of the Batman. I really like what I've seen so far, and I think that version of Batman would make outstanding looking toys. Reminds me of the Golden Age Bats + Bruce Timm simplicity.

Anyways, since Warner Brothers owns Cartoon Network, I highly doubt they will give up on DC Animated shows. CN should really take the more adult-oriented stuff like the animated movies and shows like Young Justice and air a block during the "Adult Swim" hours. At least one night a week.

Air the kid stuff on Saturday mornings and have Mattel make those toys. If Mattel isn't interested in producing products based on adult animated properties, let DC Collectibles, Medicom, Square Enix, Funko, etc. have a crack at them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:49 am 
ABS

DC should do a Batman Inc. cartoon. Batman with a different new character/teamup, different environments, etc. It's tailor made for being adapted into a cartoon. Surprised they don't have it in the pipeline as of yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:08 am 
Aspires to be #1

I don't understand why it's so hard to get things off the ground in the first place. The content has been written. It doesn't always have to be something fresh and new, just adapt the stories they have been writing for the past 70+ years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

What. A. Mess.

I hope the "YJ is too mature" theory is wrong, unfortunately there's a precedent to this kind of ignorance. BTAS, STAS and JLU were mature cartoons that could be enjoyed on several levels, why can't YJ be as well? And after all these years, can't they realize their demographic is not just kids?

The Milestone royalties sounds off, there'd have to be a lot of lawyers asleep at the wheel to catch something like that this late.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the "toys aren't selling" theory. They're just now getting word that YJ toys were cancelled and that there is no GL:TAS merchandise?

Now production delays I can believe. The 6 month hiatus between episodes 9-10 of YJ gives that theory credit.

So far, Beware the Batman has impressed very few, but I'd heard they pushed to January in order to include Beware the Batman into the block.

The simplest explanation is, it's Cartoon Network, they do this all the time. Remember countries outside the US getting the conclusion to the Cadmus storyline first? Remember BB&tB episodes hanging on itunes before they aired?

Either way, this is real bad. DC's Bat-less franchises can't get traction in Hollywood, and now they're falling apart on the small screen? Such a shame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:24 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

... and again, since CN is OWNED by WB, why is this even an issue?

I would think that WB would do anything and everything to get DC Nation as much exposure as possible to justify all the recent changes they have made editorially.

(and, not that it matters, shouldn't this discussion be in the Screen Scene thread line instead of the Mattel-All thread line?)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:13 am 
declined to be a vampire

Justice League Worked. BTAS Worked.

Bring those back. Keep doing what you are doing with Young Justice.

Pretty simple.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:20 am 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:

Pretty simple.

The HUB seems to show those a lot. I've never had that channel until I got DirecTv but it's pretty awesome to see them on tv again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 pm 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:

Pretty simple.

The HUB seems to show those a lot. I've never had that channel until I got DirecTv but it's pretty awesome to see them on tv again.

I have BTAS, Justice League, and STAS...every episde on DVD. Batman Beyond too. My kids and I watch them all the time. They enjoy them, I enjoy them. They really are ageless.

So why screw around with something new? Do what works.

Sidenote: I'm not saying YJ isn't good. I actually love the show. I'm ready for it to be back. GL: Animated series has grown on me, but it's been the most recent episodes.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime