Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Warning,MattyCollectors! Possible Digital River Charge Scam!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:36 pm 
ABS

I wanted to post this in the Mattel forum just in case some of you MattyCollector users encounter something similar (and I vaguely remember other people posting something similar).

Last Friday, I ordered the He-Man/BattleCat Party Pack from MattyCollector. The correct pending charge for the Party Pack appeared on my credit card’s online account. On Saturday, I got a suspicious “Pending” charge that appeared for $37.21 from a company that was simply labeled as “Software.” I looked into the possibility that it was an automatic renewal from one of the software programs that I used. None of them were set to renew anytime soon.

Flashforward to yesterday, the “pending” charge becomes posted as an actual charge and now the company is “Computer Software Stores” located out of Minnetonka, MN (which I already knew was DR territory, but I reserved suspicion). A quick Google search revealed that others have had the same thing happen and that the company behind “Computer Software Stores” is DRI trend micro – part of the infamous Digital River that many of us have been plagued with on MattyCollector.

Needless to say, I am disputing the charge, but I wanted to give a warning to all the rest of you MattyCollector users. Check your credit card statements! Worse yet, it appears that this is not easily solvable. Plenty of people online have reported that even after you dispute this claim, the charge becomes recurring every month. This incident may have solely happened to me, but I wanted to give you all a warning just in case.

EDIT:
****UPDATE: Thankfully this issue was successfully resolved! **************************

Last edited by BlackCanary on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Warning,MattyCollectors! Possible Digital River Charge S
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:55 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

bloody hell... This is why I don't subscribe to anything... I may regret Grayskull yet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

BlackCanary wrote:
I wanted to post this in the Matty forum just so that some of you MattyCollector users encounter something similar (and I vaguely remember other people posting something similar).

Last Friday, I ordered the He-Man/BattleCat Party Pack from MattyCollector. The correct pending charge for the Party Pack appeared on my credit card’s online account. On Saturday, I got a suspicious “Pending” charge that appeared for $37.21 from a company that was simply labeled as “Software.” I looked into the possibility that it was an automatic renewal from one of the software programs that I used. None of them were set to renew anytime soon.

Flashforward to yesterday, the “pending” charge becomes posted as an actual charge and now the company is “Computer Software Stores” located out of Minnetonka, MN (which I already knew was DR territory, but I reserved suspicion). A quick Google search revealed that others have had the same thing happen and that the company behind “Computer Software Stores” is DRI trend micro – part of the infamous Digital River that many of us have been plagued with on MattyCollector.

Needless to say, I am disputing the charge, but I wanted to give a warning to all the rest of you MattyCollector users. Check your credit card statements! Worse yet, it appears that this is not easily solvable. Plenty of people online have reported that even after you dispute this claim, the charge becomes recurring every month. This incident may have solely happened to me, but I wanted to give you all a warning just in case.

I got the same thing. My bank's fraud department called me about it yesterday. They took care of it for me. But why should they have to? What the effing hell is going on over there at DR?!?

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:45 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

BlackCanary wrote:
I wanted to post this in the Matty forum just so that some of you MattyCollector users encounter something similar (and I vaguely remember other people posting something similar).

Did you post this on Matty? I'd like to follow the thread there too if you did and if you had a link for me. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:55 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Is this only related to the He-Man/Battle Cat special? Or do I have to worry about a phantom charge for purchasing the latest JLU set now?

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 pm 
ABS

Howard the Duck wrote:
Is this only related to the He-Man/Battle Cat special? Or do I have to worry about a phantom charge for purchasing the latest JLU set now?

Howard, it actually turned out to be not related to the He-Man/BattleCat Party Pack but Elasti-girl instead!

*UPDATE:
I finally got this issue resolved after a couple of phone calls. It turns out the "Mysterious Charge" was actually the charge for Elasti-girl. Due to the way that DR charged this month's figures, I had a number of pending charges from DR all at once - each of which I could trace back to a subscription figure. Then when the new charge came up I had two different $30+ pending charges. One I knew was Elasti-girl, the other I didn't have a clue. Even when the mysterious $37 charge was posted, I still had my original pending $30+ Elasti-girl charge. After a few calls, the original pending charge was dropped and everything is as it should be.

I still don't know why the Elasti-girl charge came up on my bank's credit card as "Computer Software Stores" instead of DRI*MattyCollector like it usually does. No one was able to answer that question for me, though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:32 pm 
Resin

I was never one of those Digital River haters...but I think this is extremely sketchy. I only ordered the Guy Gardner JLU pack, and they tried to charge my credit card three times.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, Digital River was a less than honest company. On any given sale day, they could charge their customers' credit cards multiple times, allowing for an extremely large money to be deposited into their accounts.

The money would sit in DR's bank account gaining interest until the refunds take place, earning them additional income. Some customers may not even notice the additional charges at all. More free money for DR.

And, in this day and age, what kind of reputable Internet company does not accept Paypal? Mattel you better get on this. Time to find a new vendor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Man, this makes me want to go the eBay route for the last 2 packs, (scalpers not Chinese, ;) though that is a little tempting)

D.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 am 
5th Horseman

Same thing happened to me as well. I noticed a half a dozen DRI Mattycollector charges then one Software Minnetonka charge for 48.80. I'm thinking that was either for 2 Rattlors or 2 Frostas (both of which would make sense). There was a charge on there that would have been equal to my Poison Ivy from Matty, and another that would have been what Rita would cost. The confusing thing... is I was only charged for either 2 Frostas... or 2 Rattlors. OY! I called my Credit Card company, who immediatley got DRI on the phone, and after they offered NO help... she hung up. My Credit Card rep said that she wanted to reach through the phone line and shake the heck out of the DRI rep. THATS SAYING SOMETHING!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:04 pm 
Displays Backwards

AnimateTed wrote:
My Credit Card rep said that she wanted to reach through the phone line and shake the heck out of the DRI rep. THATS SAYING SOMETHING!

:lol:

Sorry you had to go through that, my friend, but your story is hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:43 am 
5th Horseman

GregNYC wrote:
Sorry you had to go through that, my friend, but your story is hilarious.

Glad my high blood pressure amuses. :-D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:22 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Oh hell no! I'm going through Ebay for the last couple JLU packs then!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:37 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Well, I've got three charges on my debit card this month. Odd thing is, they don't add up to the total price for this month's Masters, Masters 30th, and DC Signature Series, which I assume is what they all represent. They're very odd amounts, all different. However, they all processed as DRI MattyCollector.

I don't know whether to be concerned or not.

But I'll be watching.

I urgently need work: Experienced writer/photographer/typist/data entry, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:43 pm 

I better check my credit card statements. I have one card that I use only for matty purchases because I don't trust them. Feel bad for everyone going through this, I just hope it's not me.

I knew the first time I had an issue with DR & the way they handled things that this was a half @$$ company. Glad it is done & over with dealing with them for me. Thanks to the Chinese sellers on ebay, I have my final JLU figures. If mattel would affiliate themselves with such a scandalous company pulling credit card scams to collect interest, just goes to show you how reputable mattel really is! Glad the JLU line is done & over with & I will never deal with either these companies again. I hope mattel loses so much money on these last few packs of JLU that they want to sell the DC license to someone else.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:22 am 

Thanks for the heads up, I just checked and have a $70 software charge and am now trying to figure out if this is legit. I do have 2 MOTU subs and 2 DC subs...
Boots

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/foru ... 351#157351