Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Reasons Why DC Nation Vanished?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:56 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Not that it matters, but there's a petition to get Young Justice back on the air here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bring-back-dc-nation/

It's already got over 11,000 signatures. A drop in the bucket ratings wise to be sure, but it's something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Wildcard wrote:
One of the show's creators also insinuated via twitter that CN doesn't feel that the style of the show appeals to today's kids (likely the ongoing story line throughout the season).

Well, anecdotally, I can say that this isn't true for my daughters. Both of them love the Mystery Incorporated version of Scooby Doo in no small part because of the ongoing story line and the same is true for Young Justice. My nine year old can accurately recount all the minute details of the plot twists of both shows with ease.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:20 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I don't understand what WB is doing. I really don't. They see what Marvel is doing. You'd think they would want to push these properties down our throat with both fists and feet, especially now that they're moving forward with a live action JL film apparently.

Bizarre.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:28 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Shouldn't CN be airing reruns to keep the shows visible? It's not like they don't re-air Johnny Test a billion times a day; why couldn't they rerun DC Nation twice on weekends? Wouldn't it make it easier for kids to get right back into these serialized shows if they made sure newer viewers were caught up?

I really have a hard time believing that the ratings for both shows are so bad that they aren't worth rerunning. Then again, JLU was the number one show on Cartoon Network for a time during it's third season and they never reran that either. What is CN thinking here?

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:11 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

abuddah wrote:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the "toys aren't selling" theory. They're just now getting word that YJ toys were cancelled and that there is no GL:TAS merchandise?

It's not just toys. Superfriend pointed it out quite a while back, outside of tie-in comics, Mattel's figures and the Happy Meals at McDonald's what was out there for YJ or GL:TAS for that matter? I haven't seen t-shirt one, no bedsheets, no pajamas, no lunch boxes, , no backpacks, no school supplies, no posters -- nothing. I'll attibute part of it to the fact that the girls are an integral part of the group, you're cutting out a large part of the main cast if the girls are excluded (even more-so this season) from YJ merchandise. Look around, you don't see a lot of product aimed at both boys and girls in merchandising unless it's for the preschool crowd like Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse or Little Einsteins (I do admit that I am amazed at how much Avengers movie merchandise *does* have Black Widow lurking in the background but it's still not on the majority of the product aimed directly at kids). Even Justice League which had quite a bit of product during it's run (new stuff seems to be showing up all the time, too) seldom included Wonder Woman or Hawkgirl in the group. I really don't remember there being a lot of merchandise for Teen Titans when it was on the air outside of what Bandai offered (heck, they wouldn't have even gotten the license if Mattel hadn't turned it down after retailers told them they weren't interested in the girls). GL:TAS you could "get away with" omitting Aya from merchandise (even a toy line though we would be screaming bloody murder about it) but the movie merchanside is bound to have had an effect on retailers buying in on anything GL.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:09 am 
shirtless hugger

You raise a good point, Jim. I hadn't thought about it before, but I've seen very little Young Justice-licensed products for kids. JLU was much more heavily licensed.

I can't imagine why Warner Brothers would not have a broader licensing program for Young Justice. I don't run a large corporation, so I can only guess, but there must be a business motive. I wonder if manufacturers and retailers were waiting to see what kind of ratings the show had.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:33 am 
Aspires to be #1

GregNYC wrote:
You raise a good point, Jim. I hadn't thought about it before, but I've seen very little Young Justice-licensed products for kids. JLU was much more heavily licensed.

I can't imagine why Warner Brothers would not have a broader licensing program for Young Justice. I don't run a large corporation, so I can only guess, but there must be a business motive. I wonder if manufacturers and retailers were waiting to see what kind of ratings the show had.

I still see JLU merchandise in stores. Just this past summer there was a JLU backpack on sale at Target.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:29 pm 
Wonderdog

Fone Bone wrote:
Shouldn't CN be airing reruns to keep the shows visible? It's not like they don't re-air Johnny Test a billion times a day; why couldn't they rerun DC Nation twice on weekends? Wouldn't it make it easier for kids to get right back into these serialized shows if they made sure newer viewers were caught up?

This. A little more exposure would have been great. I don't believe that Cartoon Network can't find advertisers; they show the same commercials on pretty much all their shows. I refuse to believe that Johnny Test makes them money and DC Nation doesn't.

My family actually loves the ongoing story lines. Yeah, YJ is a little grim sometimes, but it's never been aimed at the My Little Pony audience. And Green Lantern is a real joy for me -- in my opinion, they finally got the characters right, especially in showing how they use their power rings. It's not just a laser beam or a power blast or a force field; the Lanterns are actually using their imaginations and making by-gosh CONSTRUCTS. The last episode to air, the one with Larvox and Chaselon and Tomar Re and Ch'p (or B'dg; he was never named) was just excellent. As a long-time fan of the character, I loved it, and so did the 11-year-old contingent at my house. I'll be very disappointed if we never learn how things turn out in YJ with the Invasion, or in GL with the Anti-Monitor and his revived Manhunters. When we flipped on the DVR and saw that we had gotten Dreamworks Dragons instead of DC Nation, the whole family was very disappointed. Even my wife, who usually couldn't care less about my GL obsession, was hooked on the show and is disappointed that it's gone away.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:11 am 
PVC

so, DC Nation must be still airing in another country?

Today's show is GL:TAS is "Blue Hope". Young Justice is "Cornered".

last week was
Green.Lantern.S01E16.Steam.Lantern
Young.Justice.S02E10.Before.The.Dawn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Great. Spoilers will be all over the internet. :roll:

Guess I'll have to avoid going to any of my usual YJ haunts.

Please remember to use the SPOILER button if anybody decides to talk about the new episodes.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:31 pm 
An Insider

Quote:
4. Cartoon Network and WB had a falling out over future shows

Work on Beware the Batman was not pleasing Cartoon Network, and an unannounced Justice League show wasn’t cutting it either, so the partnership started to disagree about future directions. Rather than plough on, they’ve decided to burn off the episodes so far produced, dissolve the block and deal with each future DC-themed show on an ad-hoc, one-by-one basis.

So there’s a lot of chatter going on about DC Nation, but still no official statement about what will happen in January or beyond. We’ll keep digging. Expect to hear more about at least two of the above notions in the coming days.

I'm interested in that unannounced Justice League show. I can already see Mattel planning a 3 3/4" action figure line for the Justice League cartoon in 2014 and the Justice League live action movie in 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

The fact that Greg's been pretty quiet doesn't bode well.

He's usually pretty open, but other than a weird post which many are interpreting to mean "corporate won't let me talk about it," he's been quiet. Here's the post below. Make of it what you will.

Quote:
The Truth about Ask Greg
Here is my manifesto:

I will not lie to you on ASK GREG.

Except by omission. I have, do and will continue to lie to you by omission whenever the need arises, I find it's politically expedient or I'm just in that kind of mood.

I will cheerfully - even gleefully - misdirect you, i.e. while technically telling the truth, I may consciously play to known biases and lead you down your own garden path. I may then lurk on other sites and chortle if I see my misdirection has been effective. I may also then get annoyed.

I will - hopefully not too often - answer sarcastically. I will make smartass responses, which are technically NOT true, but which I believe from context are obviously false, and thus should not be regarded as untruths in that any reasonable person will know that I was pulling legs. I will be the only arbiter of whether or not I am lying or kidding, in these cases.

I will, of course, be mistaken on occasion. Flat-out incorrect or wrong, even. If alerted to my errors I will endeavor to correct them. Obviously, I don't see being mistaken as willfully lying.

But with all the above caveats as givens, I promise that I will not intentionally make any untrue statements here on this website. I WILL NOT LIE TO YOU DIRECTLY.

Except on April Fool's Day. On April 1st, I'll lie my ass off.

Sounds like a corporate gag order to me.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:14 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Someone needs to check into a clinic... thinks he's the Riddler or something...
What a lame answer... whatever happened to, "Sorry can't talk about that" :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:33 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Van Statten wrote:
Someone needs to check into a clinic... thinks he's the Riddler or something...
What a lame answer... whatever happened to, "Sorry can't talk about that" :roll:

Funny, after I read that post, I was like, the only thing this says is that Weisman is a VERY overrated writer.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:01 am 
Wonderdog

talosman wrote:
so, DC Nation must be still airing in another country?

Today's show is GL:TAS is "Blue Hope". Young Justice is "Cornered".

last week was
Green.Lantern.S01E16.Steam.Lantern
Young.Justice.S02E10.Before.The.Dawn

Can I ask where you found the "Blue Hope" episode online? I'm not finding it in any of my usual GL haunts, but I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to finding video on the net. And thanks!