Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wolverine
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:31 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Wolverine Reveals a Teaser Poster

by SuperHeroHype

October 29, 2012

Following the films' live Q&A this afternoon, 20th Century Fox has revealed the first official teaser poster for James Mangold's The Wolverine, coming to theaters July 26, 2013. Check it out below and watch a recording of the Q&A in the player at the bottom of the page.

Starring Hugh Jackman, Will Yun Lee, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Brian Tee, the film has now been revealed to, contrary to early reports, take place after the events of X-Men: The Last Stand. Based on the celebrated comic book arc, The Wolverine finds Logan, the eternal warrior and outsider, in Japan. There, samurai steel will clash with adamantium claw as Logan confronts a mysterious figure from his past in an epic battle that will leave him forever changed.

Click on the image below for a larger version

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:30 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Wolverine Director Says No Trailer Until Early 2013

by SuperHeroHype

November 20, 2012

Last week, rumors began to swirl about what films we would see trailers for on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Many reported that we'd be seeing all new footage from Man of Steel and the trailer debut for The Wolverine, but the latter one has already been debunked.

The Wolverine director James Mangold took to twitter this morning to announce that no, there would not be a Wolverine trailer with The Hobbit.

Contrary to reports, there will be no trailer on THE HOBBIT for THE WOLVERINE. You will get a glimpse early 2013. I promise.

Perhaps in time for the biggest sporting event in the US every year on February 3? Or perhaps it will hit theaters with Fox's A Good Day to Die Hard on February 14.

Coming to theaters on July 26, 2013, the action adventure stars Hugh Jackman, Will Yun Lee, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Brian Tee.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

How Russell Crowe Got Hugh Jackman Cast as Wolverine

by SuperHeroHype

November 26, 2012

It's been twelve years now since Bryan Singer's X-Men hit theaters and at this point, Hugh Jackman has been playing Wolverine for so long none of us can really imagine someone else. Things were almost really different for us X-Men fans though.

In an interview with EW, Jackman mentioned he got the role of Wolverine because of his Les Miserables co-star Russell Crowe.

"Russell and I actually became very close friends," said Jackman. "We were good friends before. We knew each other a lot. And Russell has given me advice several times at key moments in my life that helped with my career. I also owe him because two of the biggest roles I’ve ever had in my life, he turned down – and suggested me for them."

When asked which ones those were he replied: "On X-Men, he was Bryan Singer’s first choice for Wolverine, and he mentioned me also for [Baz Luhrmann’s] Australia. He really is incredibly smart, and generous. It was a joy to work with him. The whole cast it was a great sense of ensemble. We all had that feeling it was going to take everything."

Since his first appearance as the character in 2000's X-Men, he's gone on to reprise his role in both sequels (X2: X-Men United, X-Men: The Last Stand), a prequel film (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), a cameo in the reboot (X-Men: First Class) and another upcoming solo film, simply titled The Wolverine.

Based on the celebrated comic book arc, The Wolverine finds Logan, the eternal warrior and outsider, in Japan. There, samurai steel will clash with adamantium claw as Logan confronts a mysterious figure from his past in an epic battle that will leave him forever changed. The Wolverine will hit theaters July 26, 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:46 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

New International Poster for The Wolverine Revealed!

by SuperHeroHype

December 12, 2012

Following the October reveal of the film's stylish domestic teaser poster, Twentieth Century Fox Film has released an international poster design for director James Mangold's The Wolverine.

Starring Hugh Jackman, Will Yun Lee, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Brian Tee, the film has now been revealed to, contrary to early reports, take place after the events of X-Men: The Last Stand. Based on the celebrated comic book arc, The Wolverine finds Logan, the eternal warrior and outsider, in Japan. There, samurai steel will clash with adamantium claw as Logan confronts a mysterious figure from his past in an epic battle that will leave him forever changed.

The Wolverine hits theaters on July 26, 2013.

Click the poster for a bigger version!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:46 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Worldwide Release Dates for The Wolverine

by SuperHeroHype

December 15, 2012

Following the international (motion) poster for The Wolverine earlier this week, Twentieth Century Fox Film has also revealed the worldwide release dates for the film and you can check out the listing below.

Opening in North American theaters on July 26, the James Mangold-directed action adventure stars Hugh Jackman, Will Yun Lee, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Brian Tee.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Mark Millar Talks About The Wolverine

by SuperHeroHype

December 19, 2012

While every other website is doing their year-end round up for 2012, Mark Millar did the same thing on his website and he spoke a little bit about the upcoming Marvel movies at Fox for the upcoming year as well.

"Looking forward to: In 2013? Kick-Ass 2. There can be only one. Also buzzed about Superman and - the big surprise, I think - The Wolverine. The script is amazing and Mangold is such a brilliant director. Seen the first 10 mins and it looks like David Lean doing a superhero movie. This the one that's going to surprise people. This and First Class were Year Zero for the Fox Marvel movies as far as I'm concerned."

Millar was hired by Fox to be a creative consultant on their Marvel Properties, which after The Wolverine includes X-Men: Days of Future Past and Fantastic Four.

Starring Hugh Jackman, Will Yun Lee, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Brian Tee, The Wolverine hits theaters on July 26, 2013.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:35 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Hugh Jackman Talks The Wolverine

by SuperHeroHype

December 22, 2012

Parade talked briefly to Hugh Jackman about The Wolverine, which will hit theaters on July 26.

Asked if he could give the magazine a scoop, Jackman said: "You want to get me into trouble, don’t you? [laughs] Okay, the movie takes place after X-Men: The Last Stand. My character is at his lowest. He is supposed to be able to heal himself, but he may encounter someone who has worked out a way to really hurt him. And there is a cameo from one of the past X-Men in it."

Who do you think he might be referring to?

Directed by James Mangold, the film also stars Will Yun Lee, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Brian Tee.

Based on the celebrated comic book arc, The Wolverine finds Logan, the eternal warrior and outsider, in Japan. There, samurai steel will clash with adamantium claw as Logan confronts a mysterious figure from his past in an epic battle that will leave him forever changed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:16 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

James Mangold Explains The Wolverine's Placement in the X-Men Film Universe

by SuperHeroHype

January 08, 2013

Set to hit theaters this summer, James Mangold's The Wolverine re-teams the director with his Kate & Leopold leading man Hugh Jackman. In a discussion today with EW, Mangold talks about the collaboration and about the specific period that the film is set in, following X-Men: The Last Stand in the franchise's big screen chronology.

"It’s set after 'X-Men 3', but I wouldn’t call it a sequel to 'X-Men 3'," says Mangold. "...Because of some of the themes in the Claremont/Miller saga. I felt it was really important to find Logan at a moment where he was stripped clean of his duties to the X-Men, his other allegiances, and even stripped clean of his own sense of purpose. I was fascinated with the idea of portraying Logan as a ronin – the definition of which is a samurai without a master, without a purpose. Kind of a soldier who is cut loose. War is over. What does he do? What does he face? What does he believe anymore? Who are his friends? What is his reason for being here anymore? I think those questions are especially interesting when you’re dealing with a character who is essentially immortal."

Mangold goes on to explain that, while story beats are borrowed from Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's Japan-set miniseries (specifically noting that Yukio, Viper, Mariko and Shingen will all appear), the overall project is something all its own that he likens to The Outlaw Josey Wales.

"What I wrote on the back of the script when I first read it was 'Everyone I love will die,'" Mangold continues. "The story I’ve been telling, he enters it believing that. Therefore he’s living in a kind of isolation. He gets drawn to Japan by an old friendship and then finds himself in a labyrinth of deceit, caught up in the agendas of mobsters, of wealth, and other powers we come to understand... You find Logan and his love is gone, his mentors are gone, many of his friends are gone, his own sense of purpose – what am I doing, why do I bother – and his exhaustion is high. He has lived a long time, and he’s tired. He’s tired of the pain."

Also starring Will Yun Lee, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Brian Tee, The Wolverine arrives on the big screen July 26.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:19 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Click on the thumbnail for a bigger pic!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Director James Mangold Talks About The Wolverine

by SuperHeroHype

January 24, 2013

We won't get to see a trailer for the upcoming solo film The Wolverine for a little longer, but the film's director, James Mangold, talking about the movie is enough to hold us over.

"The wonderful opportunity for me with this film is that 90 percent of it takes place in Japan," he said in an interview with MTV, "and even though other elements remain constant from the other pictures, namely Hugh Jackman, we kind of got our chance to reboot the tone and go a little darker and a little deeper than they've gone before with this character. That was exciting for me."

Mangold also spoke at length about the Japanese influence on the film, which it seems there is a lot of.

"There is a significant amount of Japanese spoken in the movie, and the cast is almost entirely Japanese. So there is this wonderful sense of cross-pollination between a very Western character and a far Eastern culture, and I think it's very cool and something we haven't seen so far." It also lets Mangold add a few elements from traditional Eastern films, like storytelling, levels of mystery, fighting, combat techniques and shooting style. "I think there is a lot of ways that Japanese film, Japanese fighting, Japanese martial arts have had an effect on this movie," he said. "And certainly the movie is dripping with Japanese tradition both cinematically, fighting-wise and philosophically as well."

One of Wolverine's traits from the comic books that we haven't seen so much in previous films is his 'berserker rage,' which Mangold confirms will make an 'appearance' in the new film.

"The whole point is not about violence or rating; it's about intensity. I wanted to make a film that in a way captures the intensity of his character. One of the things that has always been a feature of Wolverine in the comics is that he has a berserker rage, that he has anger and some of his abilities are driven by something more primal."

And getting Wolverine into that state requires just one thing: getting him mad.

"Honestly, to get really pissed off — not cute pissed off, not quippy pissed off, not funny pissed off or cigar-chomping pissed off, just pissed off — that can then help drive the fighting, drive the combat. That is interesting for me and then for the character, some of the jet fuel underneath some of the combat in the film."

Opening in theaters on July 26, the film stars Hugh Jackman, Will Yun Lee, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Brian Tee.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Wolverine Puts on a Suit in New Image From The Wolverine

by SuperHeroHype

January 28, 2013

Two new images from The Wolverine have appeared in this month's issue of Empire and one of them features Hugh Jackman in a different kind of suit for the film. Check them out below!

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:26 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Wolverine Teaser Targets G.I. Joe: Retaliation

by SuperHeroHype

February 11, 2013

With James Mangold's The Wolverine hitting theaters on July 26, fans are eager for their first look at the Marvel Comics adaptation. Although speculation had previously pointed to a teaser debuting with this week's A Good Day to Die Hard, it looks like the wait will be just a little bit longer.

ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype has learned that, while plans could still change, the teaser is now targeting a debut with the March 29 release G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

Mangold himself confirmed via Twitter the late March debut.

"Tell me you think we're lame after you see the teaser," he wrote last night. "At least then you will be critiquing images from the film, not a marketing window... From end of March till release, you'll be saturated. Relax, yuk. I've never found the coolest people are the first to arrive at a party."

Starring Hugh Jackman, Will Yun Lee, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Brian Tee, The Wolverine finds Logan, the eternal warrior and outsider, in Japan. There, samurai steel will clash with adamantium claw as Logan confronts a mysterious figure from his past in an epic battle that will leave him forever changed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:51 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I was thinking, by the time X-Men: Days of Future Past comes out, Jackman will have played Wolverine seven times!! That's got to be a record for one actor playing the same comic book character in the movies? As far as other movies go, Chris Reeve had four tours as Superman, Christian Bale had three as Batman, Toby Maguire had three as Spidey (although two would've been enough).

X-Men
X2
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: First Class
The Wolverine
X-Men: Days of Future Past

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:04 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Maybe at the moment, but not for long.

Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury has 6 and that number is still climbing.

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Captain America
Thor
Avengers
Captain America 2

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:16 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

texgnome1 wrote:
Maybe at the moment, but not for long.

Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury has 6 and that number is still climbing.

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Captain America
Thor
Avengers
Captain America 2

Oops, forgot about Fury. :oops: Looks like Sam will win the title.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next