Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: What would make the DCIE sub work???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:34 am 
declined to be a vampire

It's all opinion. I bought it last year, and didn't this year. So it's not working for me.

Of course we aren't all going to be happy...but I think all of us would LIKE to buy into it.

starks wrote:
For me, the DCIE sub already "works." We brought in higher numbers than last year, if that thermometer is to be believed. It wasn't enough to get a 100% newly tooled figure, but that doesn't mean things aren't working presently. At the very least, we met the threshold set out by Mattel and as far as that keeps going on an annual basis--and that Mattel still has the inclination to do the figures (I think that's a bigger part than anything)--the sub shouldn't be threatened.

I think it would be good for Mattel to do some polling throughout the year, just to see what the fanbase is thinking.

A lot of people don't like Digital River and won't use them. If Mattel knows this--which they do--then as a corporation, they need to rethink their distribution partner. I've never had a problem *knock on wood* but plenty of the customer base has. That's an issue.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 am 
ABS

You have an opportunity to buy into it. You decided not to. You may think improvements can be made, but I just fail to see how it isn't "working."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:11 am 
shirtless hugger

I think instead of saying what would make the sub 'work' we should say what would make it 'bring in more customers'.

I also think it's hard to say that the sub brought in more customers this year than last year because we don't know the numbers that the thermometers represent. Sure, you can assume that the 'tier 1' line on the thermometer for the 2013 sub is the same as the percentage of people who bought into the 2012 sub last year, but it's just that - an assumption.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 am 
declined to be a vampire

starks wrote:
You have an opportunity to buy into it. You decided not to. You may think improvements can be made, but I just fail to see how it isn't "working."

This was an opinion question, right?

I didn't buy the sub, so it's not working "for me"

That was the point. I just gave a suggestion on how I think it could better work for me and everyone else.

But it's obviously not working as well as mattel thinks it should...because they didn't sell enough to get to the next level.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:29 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Nothing imo. With most of the main characters already made in the DCUC line there isn't much else that has a huge fan following. Go look at everyone's top 10 list. Character selection is all over the map not to mention if they are on the same page everyone wants a different costume. I'd rather pick and choose as I have only wanted two figures out of everything we've seen so far.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:10 am 
ABS

Joe G. wrote:
I think instead of saying what would make the sub 'work' we should say what would make it 'bring in more customers'.

I also think it's hard to say that the sub brought in more customers this year than last year because we don't know the numbers that the thermometers represent. Sure, you can assume that the 'tier 1' line on the thermometer for the 2013 sub is the same as the percentage of people who bought into the 2012 sub last year, but it's just that - an assumption.

Agreed, can't really go by what the thermometer represents as no one knows the true numbers involved. But I think it's a fair assumption that if we didn't hit last year's sub number then we wouldn't of had 2013.

Agreed on your first point too. I think saying that the sub didn't work is operating on a false premise, because if it truly didn't work we wouldn't have the sub in 2013.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:12 am 
ABS

Bunger43 wrote:
starks wrote:

This was an opinion question, right?

I didn't buy the sub, so it's not working "for me"

That was the point. I just gave a suggestion on how I think it could better work for me and everyone else.

But it's obviously not working as well as mattel thinks it should...because they didn't sell enough to get to the next level.

So you believe Mattel fully expected to reach the other level then?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:39 am 
declined to be a vampire

starks wrote:

So you believe Mattel fully expected to reach the other level then?

Not at all. They tried to entice us with something extra, but as a collective group we just felt it wasn't worth it. As a matter of fact, I think Mattel would've been surprised had they reached that level.

At the end of the day, I don't think Mattel cares right now if they sell us a sub or not. Sure there are people at Mattel that would like to do it, but from a cost/profit standpoint, they aren't knocking it out of the park. Hence the reason we aren't getting new tooling at the small amount as it was.

I would've been much more likely to buy in had I known what was coming out, or had more input. But that's just me (and I know others feel somewhat the same).

It is what it is. I've been picking at some of the china sellers and getting the figures for much less with free shipping. If not enough people buy the subscription I'll go about my life as normal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 am 
ABS

So if you say that Mattel didn't expect to hit the level, then how can you then say Mattel believes that the sub isn't working as well as they think it should?

Your statements contradict the questions you pose.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:06 am 
declined to be a vampire

starks wrote:
So if you say that Mattel didn't expect to hit the level, then how can you then say Mattel believes that the sub isn't working as well as they think it should?

Your statements contradict the questions you pose.

I actually think that statement goes hand in hand and doesn't contradict itself at all.

They gave us a 2nd tier, I believe, knowing full well we wouldn't hit it. They hoped it would work better, but it's not. So it's not working as well as they think it should, nor did they expect to hit tier two. If they had, I think they would've been surprised.

So I'm not sure what you aren't following here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:24 pm 
serves the Otter

The only reason the sub isn't working as well as they hoped is because a lot of people are unwilling to commit their money to buying something unknown that they may not want. That's a terrible business model. It's like forcing us to gamble, and in this economy people don't want to throw away their money like that.

Mattel has the full line-up of figures planned out for the next year before the subscription even goes up for sale. They'd have to, considering the amount of time production requires to make the next year's figures. Therefore, they should provide a list lf all 12 figures in advance so that we know exactly what we are getting for our purchase. Sure there may be two or three figures that would not appeal to some people and might even discourage them from buying the sub, but I believe Mattel would still GAIN more subscriptions than it would lose by letting us know the full line-up in advance.

And building off that notion, I strongly agree with suggestions others have made about Mattel running a poll to let the collectors vote for the most demanded characters we want to see. Then simply offer up the top 12 in the next year's subscription and confirm IN ADVANCE that we're definitely getting those 12 figures.

It's so simple, and yet they'd rather play games with us and be secretive about what we're getting, like parents not letting their kids unwrap their presents until Christmas Day. Except often those presents turn out to be something we didn't ask for. :roll:

At least with the Watchmen sub, we know exactly which 6 figures we're getting without even seeing them. It's no surprise that that sub easily hit it's sell-through goal.