Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: It has begun . . .
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:19 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

That lovely time of the year when throngs of amateurs crowd our hunting grounds, getting in the way of our noble pursuit of the latest offerings from Mattel, Hasbro, et al.

TRU was a mob scene today. I was hoping to eek out another week or so before the holiday shopping season invaded the toy aisles, but no such luck.

We have met the enemy, and they are getting in between us and the pegs! :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: It has begun . . .
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:30 pm 
Resin

Gotta love the new floor clerks. Just found out from a buddy on the day shift that some of the new night shift guys at my TRU have already been stashing cases.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:04 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I love when a "holiday staffer" tries to "help" a customer and they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Inevitably, I need to step in at some point and correct the employee, help the shopper find that gift they are looking for, and end up leaving getting strange looks from everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 am 

4-L.O.T.T. wrote:
Gotta love the new floor clerks. Just found out from a buddy on the day shift that some of the new night shift guys at my TRU have already been stashing cases.

That's just an @$$hole move.

If you wanna scalp, fine. But at least let the merchandise get out on the floor where we have a chance at it.

:evil:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:23 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

A lot of times they're not even scalpers just people like us who collect. When I worked for K-Mart... cases came off the truck and one always went to me. Although my Manager new of this, I was always given the ultimatum the case had to be bought that day if I wanted it. Needless to say... my toy department had the highest sales in the district always.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:35 am 

See I can't justify that. :?

They should have gone out on the floor. But if they were still there once you were off your shift . . . that would be fair game.

Of course, I've never worked in toy retail, so I'm sure I would have been tempted to do the same in your shoes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:46 am 

Shellhead wrote:
See I can't justify that. :?

That's life. I don't really know what to say over that. So I open the cases price and place on the floor. Come 8:15 AM when I take my break, I'd spend that in line buying them. Five years in management there and every local scalper who use to strip mine that place tried to have me fired. All failed. They threw a party when I left to start my own thing.

The worst were the Hot Wheels dealers who could no longer get their precious Treasure Hunts. Which was their own fault. About the first month in I had a Hot Wheels guy come in and explain to me what they were... so I started looking out for them. I found places to hang them so I could open cases; Cereal aisle, Check outs, I even requests a wheeling rack from Mattel which we placed at checkouts and another over in Infants/ Kids clothing.

This is why you never educate someone or tell them what to look out for or why.

Is it an unfair advantage, sure is... I still walk into stock rooms today. Act like you belong and you get away with it and I dress relatively Decca Level 2 everyday so I look like someone who is inspecting something. And you throw around some of the jargon you could almost look like you belong and these younger kids who work part time probably don't ever see all the staff in the bigger department stores. It makes collecting exciting and if I'm caught my time in retail taught me all about the limits of loss prevention so I'm not easily intimidated. As long as I don't steal anything I'm good.

And come Christmas... I never had so many attempts to be bribed to fudge rain checks for Diva Dolls, Barbie Volkwagons and things like that. I would never mess with that stuff. Too scared anyone who was screwed out of their place in line would lynch me. I've been swung at by a parent or two in my time. Christmas Time in tot retail is almost like going off to war.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:51 am 

Man . . . I had no idea you were so . . . unethical.

:?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:02 am 

Shellhead wrote:
Man . . . I had no idea you were so . . . unethical.

Unethical shingbling... it's dog eat dog in collecting and business.

I don't steal... I don't cheat and I pay for everything I buy. I always pay my own way when I want something.

I was raised by two serious Antiquarians who made a living off furniture, fine art and jewelery. I grew up in places like Christie's and Sotherby's and I saw first hand if you don't jump on it or take an opportunity someone else will. This is why I have very little to gripe about in my collecting. If I see it, I snag it... you wait and ponder or you wait with everyone else your chances get lower and lower. You wait for that cheaper price on something that has hardly any shot showing up cheap and you lessen your chances. Things do happen but meh... I wait long enough I loose interest.

I think this is why I don't care for the subscription model... it takes the hunt, the chase out of things which is a big part of collecting anything for me. It's like when you deliver food to an animal who hunts, they won't eat it, they need to track and stalk their prey. There's no greater high then being across the room in an auction house and looking your opponent in the eye wondering how deep his pockets go matching numbers for numbers.

Someone walks in off the street with say Incredible Hulk 181 and wants to sell it. Unless they ask specific questions I'll throw a pitch for it. If they ask the right questions I give the right answer, I don't lie to people who want to know something but I also don't offer information. I also let people make the first opening offer. I never jump my mark... unless I really want something for myself.

And I work it hard... flea markets, yard sales, I see a Ross or TJ Maxx I never seen before I stop and check it out. There is nothing unknown which is not worth my time.

My comic business has survived the speculative boom in an age where maintaining selling comic books is rough. So I must be doing something right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am 

It's the walking into stockrooms I can't wrap my head around. That's trespassing. I don't think you'd appreciate one of your customers rummaging through your backroom without permission.

Of course, I'm a goody two shoes. I feel guilty even looking at the pallets in the aisles, much less actually opening them and sorting through 'em.

I do respect your capitalism, however. Small business makes the country work. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 pm 

Shellhead wrote:
It's the walking into stockrooms I can't wrap my head around. That's trespassing. I don't think you'd appreciate one of your customers rummaging through your backroom without permission.

I will comp that the stockroom thing is a bit much but I learned from some of the best when I worked in retail. I'm usually the king of pallet diving because you learn which boxes to look for.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:27 pm 

I bow to your toy collecting prowess. :lol:

I guess I'm just a sucker for merely looking at the pegs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm 

Shellhead wrote:

If the lame asses who work in the store would do their jobs I wouldn't have to pallet dive or play James Bond in stock rooms. This is why I do that because the stock is there... but it's not on the shelves because the toy people are hitting on checkout girls or some crap like that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:24 pm 
Resin

Van Statten wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

If the lame asses who work in the store would do their jobs I wouldn't have to pallet dive or play James Bond in stock rooms. This is why I do that because the stock is there... but it's not on the shelves because the toy people are hitting on checkout girls or some crap like that.

I'm right there with you. During 4th quarter I like to hit up Walmarts right before closing just as the pallettes are hitting the floor. Best time to open cases and choose what I want. The Hasbro rep and I have become friendly over the years and he totally agrees with me that, if you don't go after what you want as the pallettes hit the floor, you may never see those cases again as they disappear into the back store room, especially since it can take a floor clerk a whole day to put out 10 cases of asst. stuff. With hundreds of boxes in back it could be weeks before they hit the floor again and by that time they'll be scooped up by the hordes of shoppers looking to finish their x-mas shopping asap.

Anyone remember Ames or Hills? About 20 years ago (yes I am that old!) I used to go into their stock rooms looking for stuff, if a clerk showed up I'd check out his name tag and say something like "( we'll call him )Bruce , good they said you come here to help me, I'm looking for the new MOTU figs" and sure enough he'd help.....until a manager would show up and ask him what I was doing back there. Good times.

Last edited by 4-L.O.T.T. on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:36 pm 

10 cases? Man during Christmas I could do up to 10-12 pallets of toys!