AFI - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... r-15-2012/

Mint Condition - http://www.mintconditioncustom.com/2012 ... 15th-2012/

Preternia - http://www.preternia.com/2012/11/15/ask ... r-15-2012/

Mess - http://www.criticalmess.net/index.php?page=731

Kastor - http://kastorskorner.com/wp/2012/11/15/ ... explained/

Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:56 am 
declined to be a vampire

LOL @ the answer to the first question on AFI's. Pathetic. Just pathetic.

And this is why they don't, and won't get anymore of my money for a sub.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:25 am 
ABS

Bunger43 wrote:

I guess we are to believe that the design team calls the shots now?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:38 am 
declined to be a vampire

starks wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:

I guess we are to believe that the design team calls the shots now?

Yeah, that baffles me a bit. I'm not saying that maybe they shouldn't have input, but to pick and choose the characters or the versions of?

I figure at some point we'll be getting the Red Hood that most of us have been vocal about. That would would probably sell better at Retail.

I just think the consensus is that the one they stuck in the line wasn't a very heavy fan demanded figure (yes, I know some wanted it, but i haven't seen an outcry of support for it).

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 am 
Collector Inspector

1. Given the presence of an Uncle Sam and Doll Man in the sub, would you consider the classic Freedom Fighters as a team you’ve started?

Yes, we would love to keep building this team. But no plans to announce specifics right now.

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Can you imagine a 4H sculpted Phantom Lady? :twisted:

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:18 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Quote:
2. Smaller toy companies like DC Direct are able to produce fully-tooled unique 6”action figure sculpts with low production runs. Similarly, Clayburn Moore recently solicited an action figure line with a highly-detailed 6” Monster Hunter and an 8” Bigfoot figure, each with unique sculpts and no-shared parts. Can you explain to a layperson how those smaller companies are able to do fully-tooled figures, but Mattel cannot currently produce say, a Granny Goodness?

We have reached out to corp affairs to get an answer to this question. Sorry we do not have one at this time.

Uh huh. Suuuuure you did :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:30 am 
Cold-cast

Seems like the DC fans are starting to break out the pitchforks and torches. Really funny stuff. The worst part is that Mattel has made collecting the DC line boring. All of Mattel's creative energy seems to be directed at MOTU. No DC playsets, no accessories, not even any batmobiles for the collector lines. All they seem to do is put out a bunch of figures that no one has really been asking for.

I was so excited when Mattel first gained the rights to the DC Universe. They knocked it out of the park compared to what Kenner was doing. But I'm sorry maintaining the status quo year after year just doesn't cut it anymore. Time for DC Collectibles to step up to the plate, become a real toy company and take these properties back. Macfarlane managed to get his merchandise into the big box stores, so can DCC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:52 am 
Brand Manager

texgnome1 wrote:
Can you imagine a 4H sculpted Phantom Lady? :twisted:

If I can borrow the bit from Young Justice... expect to be as much "appointed" or "disappointed" as you were with your Power Girl.

Other Notes:
    1- I see Mattel is back to blaming the Four Horsemen. (I guess it's been a while since Evil-Lyn was released. They must've been due.)

2- No plans for the Freedom Fighters even though we are getting two in one sitting. (Oh, Mattel! You and your unfinished teams!)

3- Poison Ivy, Capt. Marvel Jr., Elongated Man & Wally West Flash are "most wanted"; and I bet they will sell accordingly. (Which proves it's all about character selection! A thing Mattel appears to not "get".)

4- Red Hood would've been a good addition in one of its most recognizable forms. And I'm sure some collectors still want a proper Scarecrow. The rest is self evident. Collectors want Doomsday & Killer Croc... (and would probably pay accordingly)... but Mattel wants more subscriptions and is not making any guarantees. In the end, we have a good ol'e Mexican standoff. Fans don't want crap. Mattel wants every piece of plastic they make bought, and yet... are unwilling to put any thought/research into what their customers want. In the end, things will continue to go from bad to worst and apparently... it will be the customers/4horsemen's fault.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:13 am 
categorically opposed

red Ricky wrote:
2- No plans for the Freedom Fighters even though we are getting two in one sitting. (Oh, Mattel! You and your unfinished teams!)

That's not what they said.

They said that they have nothing to announce. It's their standard response when someone asks if they're going to make X character.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

red Ricky wrote:
Fans don't want crap. Mattel wants every piece of plastic they make bought, and yet... are unwilling to put any thought/research into what their customers want. In the end, things will continue to go from bad to worst and apparently... it will be the customers/4horsemen's fault. [/list]

I have asked already in one of these Q &A's, but will ask again in the hope it gets answered next round... But I really do believe the DC sub needs to be run as a poll. Mattel need to work with the collector sites they get the Q & A's from and put out a list of characters they are considering making with their tooling options (ie. characters that only need minimal tooling) and get fans to vote for their top twenty. Then Mattel can take twelve from that list and those will be what go in the next years sub. And fans need to see the whole line up for the year before they buy in. The monthly order they come out doesn't matter, but what will be in that years wave should be shown up front.

Fans will buy figures of the characters they've been asking for, they won't want to buy characters that they haven't asked for but are told they should buy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 am 
Cold-cast

"Fans don't want crap" = "not enough collector interest"

Red Ricky is right this is a Mexican Standoff. I just don't understand how Mattel can interpret their failures as "not enough collector interest".

I'm starting to wonder if Mattel didn't have to pay licensing fees to DC, would they be more interested in putting out better product? Like they do with MOTU or Barbie. Maybe there is just not enough money in the DC figure racket (except for Batman) to make it a huge priority for Mattel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:45 am 
Collector Inspector

I agree with elvis8batman on the sub and I don't see how a fan poll is an impossibility.

I had my own idea about them taking Preorders for made-to-order dc products, Kickstarter style, on Mattycollector.... but ofcourse, as usual, my idea wasn't greeted positively. but , seriously, knowing that:

a. They're willing to do it (Young Justice 2-pack)
b. Fans are willing to pay a lot for nice things (Legion pack)
c. Mattel is still trying it (Preorder on expensive Castle Grayscale)

...then I have to ask: Would DC fans be willing to pay more for nice things? Playsets, multi packs, vehicles and 100% tooled figures?

Or, are you pretty much spent with Mattel and/or not willing to pay higher prices for nice things? Because when people are buying Legion packs and Castle Grayscales, it tells me that there is an audience, small one maybe, for this nice stuff.

Because right now It doesn't seem to be working with subscribers getting giant-sized Red Rocket, spray-tanned Phantom Stranger, and clown costume Red Hood.

There's no right or wrong answer. Just trying to take the temperature of DC collectors.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:18 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

With then amount of characters that have been made already in DCUC, the chances of any figure being picked by Mattel being one fans will want is getting slimmer. Mattel really need to start taking requests in the form of fan polls to decide their line ups. It makes sense for all involved, we get the figures we want, Mattel get the numbers and sales they want as they are giving us what we are asking for.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:42 am 
ABS

I'd be fine with two polls, one for subscribers & one to fan sites. See if they coincide with the picks and if there's a difference go with the subscribers'.

Because there are a lot of fans that go to multiple sites, that don't subscribe, that don't buy and I don't think their opinion should hold equal weight to those that do actually subscribe. Just my opinion.