Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:52 am 
User avatar
declined to be a vampire
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 am
Posts: 2449
batfink wrote:
Seems like the DC fans are starting to break out the pitchforks and torches. Really funny stuff. The worst part is that Mattel has made collecting the DC line boring. All of Mattel's creative energy seems to be directed at MOTU. No DC playsets, no accessories, not even any batmobiles for the collector lines. All they seem to do is put out a bunch of figures that no one has really been asking for.

I was so excited when Mattel first gained the rights to the DC Universe. They knocked it out of the park compared to what Kenner was doing. But I'm sorry maintaining the status quo year after year just doesn't cut it anymore. Time for DC Collectibles to step up to the plate, become a real toy company and take these properties back. Macfarlane managed to get his merchandise into the big box stores, so can DCC.


I think one problem with a Batmobile, right now...no batman figures made at the 6 inch scale would fit? Who wants a 6 inch scale batmobile that they can't put batman in?

_________________
I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 am 
User avatar
declined to be a vampire
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 am
Posts: 2449
batfink wrote:
Seems like the DC fans are starting to break out the pitchforks and torches. Really funny stuff. The worst part is that Mattel has made collecting the DC line boring. All of Mattel's creative energy seems to be directed at MOTU. No DC playsets, no accessories, not even any batmobiles for the collector lines. All they seem to do is put out a bunch of figures that no one has really been asking for.

I was so excited when Mattel first gained the rights to the DC Universe. They knocked it out of the park compared to what Kenner was doing. But I'm sorry maintaining the status quo year after year just doesn't cut it anymore. Time for DC Collectibles to step up to the plate, become a real toy company and take these properties back. Macfarlane managed to get his merchandise into the big box stores, so can DCC.


I think one problem with a Batmobile, right now...no batman figures made at the 6 inch scale would fit? Who wants a 6 inch scale batmobile that they can't put batman in?

_________________
I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:58 am 
User avatar
declined to be a vampire
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 am
Posts: 2449
As with the poll idea, I agree. I said in a thread back they should do it.

Give us a pool of say 30 figures to choose from. We vote, they make the top 12 and then say they'll slot so many towards the next year.

Then, when next year rolls around, give us a pool of other figures to choose from, etc.

We'll get what we want, and keep buying because we get to pick. Someone mentioned "once the good figures get made people will quit buying"...but I'd argue right now the support for the line is just enough to get made.

It's like the guy said in office space.

"That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired."

_________________
I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:10 pm 
User avatar
Corporate Spin Monkey
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2394
Location: Kent, England
starks wrote:
I'd be fine with two polls, one for subscribers & one to fan sites. See if they coincide with the picks and if there's a difference go with the subscribers'.

Because there are a lot of fans that go to multiple sites, that don't subscribe, that don't buy and I don't think their opinion should hold equal weight to those that do actually subscribe. Just my opinion.


Not a bad idea, the subscribers already visit the Matty site, so run a poll there and run another to the fans sites like you say, then there's no way they can't say they don't know what fans want from them.

Then if fans don't buy the figures they themselves have specifically asked for, THEN Mattel can say we aren't supporting the line.

But if I ask someone to paint my car blue, they paint it red and I refuse to pay, I don't see how I'm at fault. That same concept would work if we could choose what we want made.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6184
Location: Shelbyville, KY
elvis8batman wrote:
starks wrote:
I'd be fine with two polls, one for subscribers & one to fan sites. See if they coincide with the picks and if there's a difference go with the subscribers'.
Because there are a lot of fans that go to multiple sites, that don't subscribe, that don't buy and I don't think their opinion should hold equal weight to those that do actually subscribe. Just my opinion.

Not a bad idea, the subscribers already visit the Matty site, so run a poll there and run another to the fans sites like you say, then there's no way they can't say they don't know what fans want from them.
Then if fans don't buy the figures they themselves have specifically asked for, THEN Mattel can say we aren't supporting the line.
But if I ask someone to paint my car blue, they paint it red and I refuse to pay, I don't see how I'm at fault. That same concept would work if we could choose what we want made.


Im fine with a poll-- but then for some reason we get figures like Dekker in MOTU-- really-- thats one of the five choices we get to pick from and the one that wins on top of that..

Hasbro did this with both their Marvel Universe Line (and the top five were made (plus a few others)-- and they had a pool of like 75 characters-- , and Star Wars multiple times-- (and hell the last wizard poll with the top 20 figures done by write in votes)- 18 of those were made...Even did it with GI joe I think at one point for their Hall of Fame line...
There is no excuse why it cant be done.

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm 
User avatar
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
Posts: 8275
Location: Phoenix Metropolitan Area
I down with current subscribers having greater influence/say on the poll. After all, we're putting our money where our mouth is.

_________________
Leave it up to a billionaire to buy the world some time --- Tony Stark

Trade Rating +55 and counting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 pm 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
But isn't the idea of a poll to attract more subscribers?

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:00 pm 
User avatar
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
Posts: 8275
Location: Phoenix Metropolitan Area
I think the idea is letting the fans vote will make for a better sub that would (hypothetically) then attract more subscribers.

_________________
Leave it up to a billionaire to buy the world some time --- Tony Stark

Trade Rating +55 and counting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 pm 
User avatar
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 408
Bunger43 wrote:

I think one problem with a Batmobile, right now...no batman figures made at the 6 inch scale would fit? Who wants a 6 inch scale batmobile that they can't put batman in?


The first year Mattel had the DC license, they did release a Batmobile for the 6 inch figures. It was nice, but why not release more on Mattycollector? I would love a 1940's, 1950's, or any of the 1980's Breyfogle versions (especially Holy Terror). Even the Greg Capullo version in the most recent Batman issue is pretty sweet.

More than six years later and not one new Batmobile for the 6 inch figures? Mattel is just being lazy. Just imagine Super Powers with just one Batmobile, no Hall of Justice, no Supercar, no Braniac Ship, no collector case, no Batcopter. Accessories like these make good action figure lines great.

A new Batmobile, done right, would sell extremely well on Mattycollector. I don't think anyone would dispute that. Mattel either just doesn't care enough to release one, or their designers are too busy building Barbie houses and Castle Grayskulls.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:03 pm 
User avatar
Loose, Missing Package
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10464
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
Yeah, but the Batmen made at the time that Batmobile was released all had cloth capes. Getting a figure with a rubber cape to sit/fit in a car and not look like he's sitting on a luge is not likely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:12 am 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
batfink wrote:
A new Batmobile, done right, would sell extremely well on Mattycollector. I don't think anyone would dispute that. Mattel either just doesn't care enough to release one, or their designers are too busy building Barbie houses and Castle Grayskulls.

Maybe it would, but it has more to do with the track record of sales. What's stopping any kind of expansion of DC's product on MattyCollector is lukewarm overall sales. Even though MOTUC is slowing down now, they can still use the success of the recent past of the line to make a case to management that a Castle Grayskull could be lucrative - and even then, management told them that they couldn't just jump right in with both feet. A pre-order had to be done.

What have they got to show for DC on Matty? Tepid two-packs, a subscription that has barely eked by two years in a row, an anomaly twelve-pack. I think if Club Infinite Earths was firing on all cylinders, selling way above the minimum, they'd probably have a much easier time convincing the powers that be to allot some resources for a Batmobile.

Either way, they didn't get my money for a Grayskull, and they wouldn't get my money for a Batcave, Batmobile, or any other kind of huge item. I don't have room for the figures I have, let alone a playset.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:13 am 
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:15 pm
Posts: 1960
Location: Earth
MoMoney wrote:
red Ricky wrote:
2- No plans for the Freedom Fighters even though we are getting two in one sitting. (Oh, Mattel! You and your unfinished teams!)

That's not what they said.

They said that they have nothing to announce. It's their standard response when someone asks if they're going to make X character.



Yeah... considering the vague promise that there's more female characters in the 2nd half of the 2013 sub (not just Huntress), I'd be surprised if we DIDN'T get Phantom Lady next year to go with Uncle Sam from this year's sub.

And regarding Mattel's reluctance to give us a 6" Batmobile.... why don't they just run a pre-order on their site to test the demand, as they just finished doing with Castle Grayskull?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:13 pm 
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 419
shabbyblue wrote:
And regarding Mattel's reluctance to give us a 6" Batmobile.... why don't they just run a pre-order on their site to test the demand, as they just finished doing with Castle Grayskull?


Because I will tell you why. Much to my amazement the MOTU collectors are die hard. There is no way in the world I would have ever paid $250 for a plastic piece of poorly designed junk of a castle like grayskull. Yes it is the centerpiece of any Heman collection, but for $250 they had better make it more than the cheap fold out castle with 2 walls like it was in the 80's. I would just rather buy the 80's one on ebay.Well mattel announced before the preorder that it was going to be the same design. That toy was & still is cheaply made to me. I don't think it's worth more then $100 for this new design even with it being sculpted by the horseman.. Mattel is just taking advantage of the collectors market that are willing to pay anything IMO. But obviously the true MOTU collectors feel differently & are totally die hard. Although mattel refuses to give us numbers, ( probably because they don't want us to know how much they are getting rich off us ) they had to have presold 10's of 1000's them for it to be made. Congratz to all the guys that wanted this. Not my cup of tea.

Now onto the DC guys, I definitely think overall those collectors are much more reserved. They won't just spend any amount that mattel tries to take advantage of us with on any toy. Now there are many of the DC collectors who will pay a ridiculous amount that mattel comes up with for say a batmobile, batcave, invisible jet, hall of justice, etc...... But that's not the majority. I'm pretty sure mattel knows this from sales & past experiences. They can blame the fans & we can blame them because they use cheap plastic with poor paint applications for figures, whatever, it doesn't matter whose fault it is. That doesn't change things. The fact is, no matter who you blame ( we all know I blame mattel :lol: ) there numbers show it just wouldn't sell enough. For whatever reasons there is not enough support & I think the DC guys seem to pick & choose more.

I have a question. I am missing something here? I really don't see the MOTU guys complaining about the figures being made from cheap plastic, receiving broken figures, or terrible paint jobs etc.... like the DC & JLU guys do. Am I just missing it, or is this not really a problem with the MOTU line?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:46 pm 
User avatar
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 938
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oh, the MOTUC crowd is VERY vocal in those forums. They're a VERY meticulous crowd when there are paint & plastic issues. Try Mattycollector and the .org forums, you'll see what I mean. And from what I know, it's nowhere near "tens of thousands". Not even close, hence the high price to manufacture.
But as a side note, didn't Mattel show a 6" Batmobile for the batman Unlimited line at NYCC? I could swear we have a picture of it on this site, unless its mislabeled and intended as a second Batmobile for the evergreen line.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for November 15th
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:59 pm 
User avatar
Loose, Missing Package
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10464
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
Captain Collector wrote:
But as a side note, didn't Mattel show a 6" Batmobile for the batman Unlimited line at NYCC? I could swear we have a picture of it on this site, unless its mislabeled and intended as a second Batmobile for the evergreen line.


I read that somewhere, too, but the photo in our galleries shows the "evergreen" Batman logo on the card next to the car...

Image

(I do remember people posting that the 6" figures would fit into the Power Attack Batmobile so the same should be true of this one, I would think...)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Oklahoma's Man of Steel


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.081s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]