Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Young Justice Nightwing and ??
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:49 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
Well Bryan sales just show you otherwise or they wouldn't get the axe.

Ah, I see. Well, I don't believe that high sales[always]=quality. Lots of good books don't get the sales they deserve, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. Lots of bad books have great sales. Well, great is relative. What qualifies as great sales for comic books today would've gotten the title cancelled when I was a kid.

That's true for any creative endeavor. Comics, novels, TV shows, movies, etc. Now, I will agree that there is a certain utility in great sales, in that they pay the bills. And that's undeniable.

In the case of the animated titles, sales is a function of audience, and there is no child audience for comics any more. That's not the fault of the material, it's because publishers abandoned that audience long ago. They also abandoned any effective distribution outlet to reach that audience. They've also priced comics too high to appeal to that audience, and they have no way of letting that audience know how comics can be found or purchased.

Basically, comic publishers fail at almost every single element of the marketing mix (target, price, promotion, distribution) relative to children. It's possible they could turn it around digitally, but they're too stubbornly entrenched in their ancient ways of doing things, trying to appeal to an aging group (I am one) who are disappearing by using poorly conceived 'events' and stunts like variant covers.

WAY off topic. I'll quit now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Trust me- you arent the only one-- the animated comic/ cartoon versions- are usually better than the 'Mainstream" comics, and probably make up 30% of my collection but I will cop to Vans point that they never seem to last - no matter what the reason..

Same thing happened to Droids, Ewoks, Tale Spin, Batman Beyond, CNDRR (both times), Toonami, Darkwing Duck (both Times), LOSH, Clone Wars Adventures, Duck Tales (both Times), X-Men Evolution, Gargoyles (Both Times)- hell the second time around it didnt even get to finish the current story arc (same with the Bad Guys Spinoff- the only way to finish the stories was in the released trade paperbacks), Cartoon Network Presents had a decent run but that had multiple stories. I mean even the big hitters like Looney Tunes or Scooby Doo can rarely keep a comic going for more than 10 issues..

Johnny DC- Sucks_ even the succesful Tiny Titans- got canned to rehash as Superman Family Adventures (I think in prep for the new movie). And Marvel rarely gives any kids book a chance since they killed the STAR imprint.

Id say the two most succesful runs were probably the original TMNT Adventures (and there 20 or so miniseries and spinoffs like Mighty Mutanimals) and Sonic the Hedgehog (which I believe is still going-- that I dont understand at all)-- of course- they were both published by Archie Comics-whose flagship title's - which although nowadays has some adult subject matter-- art always still feels like a cartoon book.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:27 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I did like Darkwing Duck only because I loved that Superhero motiff of it all Batman with Spider-Man like villains.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:28 pm 

Bryan Long wrote:
and there is no child audience for comics any more.

Not in my place. Although I'm right center between four grade schools and six high schools and two private schools. I see children of all ages.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:43 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I rarely see kids at my LCS. And when I do, they're mostly there because their dads are picking up their weekly fix.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:46 pm 

Shellhead wrote:
I rarely see kids at my LCS. And when I do, they're mostly there because their dads are picking up their weekly fix.

I didn't even think there were kids out there in your area... just the Mob and sand...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:51 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

OUCH.

We've got plenty of kids.

It's just that most of them don't speak English.

:wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting