Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DCCU wave 3 announced at BBTS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:28 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Hasn't Huntress also been in every retail line except DCUC?
However both of them didn't make it into Young Justice. :P
And so what if she's included in the subscription that doesn't prove anything... ever think Mattel makes undermining mistakes in judgement? Lord knows they have some previous examples of poor judgement. Not everything they do is some stroke of retail genius.

I don't think the inclusion of Hawkman has anything to do with who he is. He comes with wings, a sword, a mace and shield in both DCUC releases... and his Unlimited release has this really cool armor and snap on weapons, so I see the tactic there. He's also the rare short packed in the Unlimited cases if his price is anything to go by.

Show random people on the street Hawkman they'll think he's from that 80's Flash Gordon movie. :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:21 am 
5th Horseman

MoMoney wrote:
AnimateTed wrote:
OK!!!! I've had it. I'm furious! Here was a HUGE opportunity to release Mera. They are spending a lot of resources on new sculpts for all of these N52 designs- the one figure that would work and would be an instant sell through is Mera. Then if they were were smart they could smartly reuse parts for a red lantern Mera in Club infinite earths.

Instead we get ANOTHER Superman that doesn't look THAT much different to the one we got a few months prior. It just doesn't make sense.

Please explain how this is good for retail. Someone? Please?

One, I think people would flip the eff out if a sub slot was wasted on Red Lantern Mera. That would be a horribly wasted opportunity when someone that people actually want is passed up for Red Lantern Mera. They've said that the sub is concentrating on characters that haven't been done - and even though Red Hood was met with a resounding "meh," at least he hasn't shown up in the line yet. Reaction to a repaint that appeared in about four issues of a comic book coming in the sub would be disastrous.

Two, Mera does not fit with their current model for retail. Have you not noticed that every retail figure so far is a big name? Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Hawkman, Batgirl, the Penguin, Darkseid. Mera is not in the same league. She would not work with this new configuration. I mean, really - '90s Aquaman, Wally West, and Kyle Rayner aren't going to work with retail. Huntress doesn't work with retail. Saint Walker and Larfleeze don't work with retail.

But Mera does? Nope.

As for similar Supermen being released at the same time not being good for retail, it's no worse than the releasing the same Superman and Batman over and over were for JLU - and the line either thrived or limped on (depending on who you talk to) for years after that began. Also, he'll be getting a release just as Man of Steel is due to drop in theaters, so that won't hurt his sales.

While I don't disagree with your rationale AT ALL, I do want to point out that Club IE was also designed to finish teams, and the deputized lanterns are unfinished with the Mera slot still vacant.

Also, if the "new 52" is the focus of the retail line (and yes the BIG GUNS are always going to get most of the attention) Mera has become a prominent and badass character in the new Aquaman series. Arguably the best reimagining of any character in the new 52 continuity. Not saying that she SHOULD go in the retail line, but releasing her with Aquaman would have made sense from an awareness standpoint, AND they could have gotten double use from most of her tooling for the Red Lantern look to include in CIE.

I'm looking at this from a purely business standpoint. IF there was an inkling to include Mera (and she is high on most demand lists), THIS would have been the way to do it, since CIE will not have a uniquely tooled figure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:36 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Van Statten wrote:
Hasn't Huntress also been in every retail line except DCUC?
. :P

Other than JLU or Total Justice she doesnt have any other main retail figures (not counting the DC directs- which I think there are only 3 in there as well (Hush,COIE, and Birds of Prey boxset)-Mighty Beanz dont count

Hawkman has been in -(top of my head)

Super Powers
DCIH
DCUC (twice as a single- plus the MOTU 2 pack)
Total Justice
JLU
Super Friends (the Big Rescue Heroes Figures.)
Imaginext
THE Batman
POP Vinyl

I dont always agree with Mo-- but Im in syncopation with him here-- Huntress is not recognizeable to the person on the street (and Mera even less so) -- Hawkman is-and even if he's not they might come close to guessing his name- not to mention big wings usually sell action figures-
The rule is pretty much if they were on Superfriends they were recognizeable-just because thats the go to image of DC comics for most of the world- they still sell T-Shirts in Wal Mart with that as the style guide- that why the world still does Wonder Twin jokes...

As far as her apperance on Arrow- Hawkman had multiples on Smallville...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:45 am 

And your point?

I really don't understand the anachronistic attitudes of most people here... if it wasn't on Super Friends or on JLU then it doesn't necessarily matter. I like to know how anyone here can say who would be recognizable and who isn't? Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to employees of these companies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:11 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Because I am a comic fan- and I didnt even really know who Mera was until the stupid red lantern thing and she got forced down our collective throats ( I knew "who" she was- but since I dont read Aquaman- she never shows up anywhere else) - and-
and if she didnt have apperances on B:TBATB, JLU or Young Justice-- why in the hell would a kid care about her-- or any generic comic book fan in general--

Take Stephane Brown for example- as much as I want her to be a popular character-- I mean she has probably had more comic apperances in the past 20 years than most other Batman related female characters if not the DC universe -- but she just is never made into a figure-- I mean she was in Robin, Batman (all titles), Teen Titans, Showcase, Birds of Prey, Batgirl (both her own and Cass'), Young Justice, Supergirl-- and we still only have a chase Kubrick and one DC direct figure that goes for 75.00- no other media exposure-- means no other merchandise.

As much as I want Huntress to be a popular character-- - for that matter- its just not going to happen- if there is no media support- to force her down our throats- I mean she was featured in JLU and Brave and the Bold.But it seems like modern cartoons just arent enough nowadays..

I dont want us to be stuck in the superfriend era- but that is the way it is..any time a TV show references these characters thats who they pick from.-- Simpsons, Family Guy, Big Bang Theory, SNL, MAD TV-- doesnt matter- go to is always superfriends.

I mean look at the Marvel Universe-- our options are Mary Jane, Invisible Woman, Storm, Jean Grey, Mystique, and now Black Widow,

But even with the marvel movies-- no Kitty Pryde, Gwen Stacy, not even much Elektra or Rogue (in her normal costume). THe average person just doesnt identify these characters and I would guess more people would know Firestar than any of these.. People are always focused on big time movies and cartoons from the late 70's early 80's- its just what drives the market.. No matter how much all of us want it to change.. Listen in the toy aisles to the parents shopping at christmas-- all i hear are references to those when they are looking for stuff,- I think weve made progress just because some of them realize there are 4 TMNTs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Van Statten wrote:
I really don't understand the anachronistic attitudes of most people here... i.

And I think you mean antequated here-- not anachronistic..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:30 am 
categorically opposed

AnimateTed wrote:
I'm looking at this from a purely business standpoint. IF there was an inkling to include Mera (and she is high on most demand lists), THIS would have been the way to do it, since CIE will not have a uniquely tooled figure.

I think your logic is flawed. I see what you're saying about the tooling, but Mera isn't going to perform at retail after multiple restocks - at least not like a Batman, Superman, or Joker will. So while it would be more likely for her to get the tooling necessary if she was going to retail, it's also less likely that retail would want a no-name like Mera. Let's not forget that this entire restructuring of the line at retail was instigated by a combination of the reboot and retailer requests for product that would move better.

Van Statten wrote:
And your point?

I really don't understand the anachronistic attitudes of most people here... if it wasn't on Super Friends or on JLU then it doesn't necessarily matter. I like to know how anyone here can say who would be recognizable and who isn't? Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to employees of these companies.

And I don't understand the people who insist that we have no way of knowing who is recognizable. Who are the characters that usually appear on the packaging for DC merchandise? Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Green Lantern, and a handful of others. Why do they put them on the packaging? Because they're recognizable to nearly everyone. Unless you read comics, which the vast majority of the world does not, or watched JLU or BTBATB, which the vast majority of the world does not, you're not going to know the Huntress. Oh, and she was an unlockable character with no backstory in two video games - score!

If you can tell me how else someone might know who the Huntress is, I'd be happy to listen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:34 pm 

I seriously think you all just sell the recognized ability of certain characters.
Are you telling me Black Lightning is more noticeable than Huntress or Commander Steel? I just can't follow that.

However I have to admit it's refreshing to see Stew comment on not wanting to be stuck in the Super Friends Era.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:29 am 
5th Horseman

MoMoney wrote:
AnimateTed wrote:

I think your logic is flawed. I see what you're saying about the tooling, but Mera isn't going to perform at retail after multiple restocks - at least not like a Batman, Superman, or Joker will. So while it would be more likely for her to get the tooling necessary if she was going to retail, it's also less likely that retail would want a no-name like Mera. Let's not forget that this entire restructuring of the line at retail was instigated by a combination of the reboot and retailer requests for product that would move better.

I guess, I just wonder how Hasbro and Marvel includes Moonstone, Madame Masque, Draxx, Klaw, and multiple other obscure characters in their retail line. I understand that DCUC slowed and that they weren't moving at retail, but I blame character selection and distribution over general disinterest in the line. When I say character selection, I mean things like the rainbow lanterns wave. I agree whole heartedly that that should NEVER have gone to retail. Especially after DC Direct satiated the collector market need months prior. But, now that they HAVE been made, it just pisses me off that it's not complete!!! ;-)

Look there is no magic formula, it is NOT a science. It's an art. And art is very subjective. What works for some people, looks like garbage to others.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:20 am 
categorically opposed

AnimateTed wrote:
I guess, I just wonder how Hasbro and Marvel includes Moonstone, Madame Masque, Draxx, Klaw, and multiple other obscure characters in their retail line.

I wouldn't be too excited or frustrated by this.

Retail has more faith in Marvel because Marvel characters are getting more exposure than DC's are.

BUT

Those obscure Marvel characters are rotting on the pegs. Absolutely rotting. Retail hasn't been able to order much of wave three because they can't get rid of the first two waves. Hasbro may end up finding themselves in the same position as Mattel sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:52 am 

In my neck of the woods only one Marvel universe item is rotting on shelves and that's Guardians of the Galaxy. That one I can see being a WTF purchase for most people of all walks of life. I see MU Iron Man, Captain America and Thor peg warm and that's because I think kids go for the movie lines more with their massive accessories or diversity, like Cap with a parachute how cool is that! I'd dig that if I were 7.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 am 
MINT!

MoMoney: I'll give you Klaw and Draxx, but Madame Mask and Moonstone are not rotting on the pegs around here. That would be the first Iron Man from wave 1.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:16 am 
categorically opposed

puckace wrote:
MoMoney: I'll give you Klaw and Draxx, but Madame Mask and Moonstone are not rotting on the pegs around here. That would be the first Iron Man from wave 1.

My stores never even got wave two because of the flop that was wave one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:22 am 

That sucks MoMoney, you drew the short end of the stick in that lottery. It's all location. In a couple areas around here MU never stays in stock (unless your Guardians of the Galaxy) and in other areas they can't move it but other things sell which don't in the previous area. In a couple locations Wal-Marts have sold out of that stupid Evergreen Power attack Batman line. That one I'm trying to figure out. Yet Hasbro has some massive peg warmers... like I feel the 4" Mattel stuff is a waste of time for the company... all that Power Attack movie crap from Hasbro just sits and you can see it passed over by kids, parents and even collectors alike. I'm sure they sell well in other areas, I'll guess at shore points just because it looks like something you would buy for your kid on the boardwalk or take onto the beach and into the water.

Our locations are all different and therefore I guarantee we all see different things in sales but none of that really proves anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 pm 
serves the Otter

Images are out. http://toynewsi.com//news.php?itemid=19532

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next