Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel vehicles?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:13 pm 
Collector Inspector

Mattel has given us plenty of bat-themed vehicles in its various DC lines.

Does anyone have a favorite version of the Batmobile?

The Kenner SuperPowers one will always be a childhood favorite. But I'm really digging the Brave and the Bold Transforming Batmobile.

Post subject: Re: Mattel vehicles?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:38 pm 
Cold-cast

"Plenty" is kind of a strong word, but I do hope Mattel produces some comic or movie accurate vehicles in the future that are targeted towards collectors. My favorite vehicle so far was the Movie Masters Batpod, hands down. The rest of the Bat vehicles have either been Kenner copies produced for JLU, or pretty low quality vehicles aimed at small children in my opinion (Brave and the Bold, Superfriends).

My dream Batmobile: the 1950's version with the Bat head on the front. It should be produced to fit a 6" figure with a cloth cape. Brian Bolland also drew a really nice version of it in The Killing Joke.

Second choice: any of the Breyfogle Batmobiles, especially the one from his graphic novel, Batman: Holy Terror.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:49 pm 
Collector Inspector

batfink wrote:
My dream Batmobile: the 1950's version with the Bat head on the front. It should be produced to fit a 6" figure with a cloth cape. Brian Bolland also drew a really nice version of it in The Killing Joke.

I would buy two of those NOW if they had them. I'd pre-order them ASAP. LOVE that version.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:46 pm 
shirtless hugger

batfink wrote:
"Plenty" is kind of a strong word, but I do hope Mattel produces some comic or movie accurate vehicles in the future that are targeted towards collectors. My favorite vehicle so far was the Movie Masters Batpod, hands down. The rest of the Bat vehicles have either been Kenner copies produced for JLU, or pretty low quality vehicles aimed at small children in my opinion (Brave and the Bold, Superfriends).

Second choice: any of the Breyfogle Batmobiles, especially the one from his graphic novel, Batman: Holy Terror.

Not really, Mattel has made plenty of them. With just about every Batman series of figure, Mattel released a Batmobile. It started with the comics series.

The Batman they released three different ones.

Batman The Brave and the Bold there were five (four versions of one, plus the transforming one).

Imaginext has five (two versions of the 90’s edition)

Fisher-Price has at least three Shake-n-Go Batmobiles

DC Superheroes had My First Batmobile and a smaller R/C version, then a new Batmobile when they did the figures in a new scale.

The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises had three of them, one Batmobile and two different versions of the Tumbler in 3 ¾ scale.

Batman Power Attack has one Batmobile so far with a second version of it due soon.

Then there all the 1:50 scale and 1:64 scale Batmobiles, so I would say that Mattel has done a few.

Only JL/JLU, DCSH and DCUC were the only Batman series of figures that did not have a Batmobile.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:24 am 
Loose, Missing Package

There's also one or two HeroesWorld Batmobiles, a Little People Batmobile and a Wheelies Batmobile.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:59 am 
Cold-cast

Yes plenty for the 8 years old and under crowd, not so plenty for the collector lines. The Dark Knight trilogy lines only had one Batmobile that you could fit a regular sized figure in (the others had figures pre-attached to the vehicle), and Mattel produced zero batmobiles for the Movie Master figures.

I'm not really counting the Hot Wheels stuff because those are not action-figure based.

After thinking about how many Batmobiles Mattel has produced for other lines I'm more confused than ever as to why Mattel has an embargo on Batmobiles for the Movie Masters / 6 inch / Collector lines. Do they figure older collectors don't like Batmobiles?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:39 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

They probably assume not enough people would pay for one, with what they would charge. It's one thing for people to sit and say they'll buy something but another for them to actually ante up for it. I would love to see a proper 6" scale Batmobile, I would dread the price of it. I would dread it's distribution... trying to find it for close to retail.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:31 pm 
shirtless hugger

batfink wrote:
Yes plenty for the 8 years old and under crowd, not so plenty for the collector lines. The Dark Knight trilogy lines only had one Batmobile that you could fit a regular sized figure in (the others had figures pre-attached to the vehicle), and Mattel produced zero batmobiles for the Movie Master figures.

I'm not really counting the Hot Wheels stuff because those are not action-figure based.

After thinking about how many Batmobiles Mattel has produced for other lines I'm more confused than ever as to why Mattel has an embargo on Batmobiles for the Movie Masters / 6 inch / Collector lines. Do they figure older collectors don't like Batmobiles?

Mattel Batman Comic Style from 2003

This was the largest Batmobile that Mattel ever released and the only one to ever get recalled for safety issues. This model has the new replacement tail fins on it with the blunt tips. Since the comic style figures became DC Super Heroes and DSCH became DC Universe you should be able to fit most 6 inch scale figures and maybe even Movie Masters figures into it.

Mattel did a couple of new Batcyles for JL and JLU but they had the figure attached

However they used Kenner/Hasbro molds for a Batwing and Batcave but not either the BTAS or TNBA Batmobiles that Kenner/Hasbro did.

So for a purely collector figure Batmobile I would agree that it’s been awhile almost 10 years, since we had one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 am 
shirtless hugger

I was thinking about the lack of a Batmobile for 6 inch figures like Mission Masters DCSH and DCUC and then I thought about this

Power Attack Total Destruction Batmobile

The Power Attack Figures are 6” tall and there is room for even slightly taller and wider figures in this car, so the real reason Mattel never made a Batmobile for 6 inch figures is they went with hard plastic capes for Batman starting with DCSH.

I did get a Movie Masters The Dark Knight Rises Batman figure in this Batmobile even with the rubber cape. That cape is narrow and mostly flat compared to DCSH and DCUC which have wide flowing capes. I tried some DCSH and DCUC Batman figures bit I could not get the capes to curve enough to get the figure inside.

So Mattel could have made a 6” scale Batmobile and included a DCUC Batman with a cloth cape if they wanted to. As for price point, these sell in the $20 - $30 or less range on mass retail discount sites, so add a figure they could sell in the $40 range, although Mattel would probably have a $50 MSRP.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:42 am 
AFA Graded

Am I the only one here who wants a decent Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet finally?
JLU missed the boat on that one too.
Meanwhile, I'm just fine with Kenner's Batmobile though.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:35 pm 
AFA Graded

An-Gel Sakura wrote:

I guess I am. :lol:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:29 pm 
shirtless hugger

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
An-Gel Sakura wrote:

I guess I am. :lol:

I might get one too, but it's not high on my list. I seem to recall a jet plane done by Fisher-Price in Super Heroes size that might have only needed a slight retool to the cockpit in order to fit a DCSH figure in it that would have been perfect if they did a clear plastic version.