It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:34 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

First Official Photo From The Hobbit: There and Back Again Released

by SuperHeroHype

December 06, 2012

Even though the first film in The Hobbit series hasn't been released yet, we've got the first official image from the THIRD film in the series, The Hobbit: There and Back Again (via EW).

Below you'll see Orlando Bloom reprising his role as Legolas along with the Laketown warrior Bard the Bowman, played by Luke Evans. But what is Legolas doing in this film when he wasn't in the original book?

“He’s [elven king] Thranduil’s son, and Thranduil is one of the characters in The Hobbit," said Peter Jackson. "And because elves are immortal it makes sense Legolas would be part of the sequence in the Woodland Realm."

And what of Bard? "Bard is an interesting character, but [in the book] he’s kind of a random character who comes in after the fact," said writer/producer Philippa Boyens. "We take more time introducing him. We know from what follows that he was a father, so we [explore] that. I don’t think we take liberties, because it’s all there in the storytelling."

The first film in the series, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, will hit theaters next week in 2D, 3D, and IMAX on December 14. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will be released on December 13, 2013, and the final entry, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, will be released on July 18, 2014.

Click on the image for a bigger version!

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: There and Back Again
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:01 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Ah, well.

At least they aren't making us wait an entire year between Part 2 and Part 3.

As much as I'm excited to see Jackson back in Middle-Earth, I really think two three hour films are sufficient for the Hobbit.

Especially when you consider just how short that book is compared to the LOTR trilogy.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: There and Back Again
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:08 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The New Title for the Third Hobbit Film is The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Source: ComingSoon

April 24, 2014

Peter Jackson broke the news on Facebook that the third "Hobbit" film will no longer carry the subtitle "There and Back Again" and instead will be titled The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. His statement follows:

Inside Information...

Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. "There and Back Again" felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo's arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived "there" in the "Desolation of Smaug".

When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.

And so: "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" it is.

As Professor Tolkien intended, "There and Back Again" encompasses Bilbo's entire adventure, so don't be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies.

Before then however, we have a film to finish, and much to share with you. It's been a nice quiet time for us—Jabez and I happily editing away in a dark cave in Wellington—but those halcyon days are quickly coming to an end. It will soon be time to step into the light. Expect to see and hear much about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in the coming months.
And there's also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we're in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.

It'll be a fun year!

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies will hit 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on December 17.

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:22 pm 
serves the Otter

That is a terrible title. It is a bad idea to have three "the's" in the title, especially for an action film. Even two is pushing it. If they REALLY wanted to highlight the battle they should have called it "The Hobbit: Battle Of Five Armies". I would even have accepted "The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies" or "The Hobbit: The Battle Of Five Armies." The Battle Of The Five Armies does NOT roll off the tongue.

This is the worst high profile movie title since The Phantom Menace.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:39 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Not any different than past titles. The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring. 4 the's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:54 pm 
serves the Otter

j1h15233 wrote:
Not any different than past titles. The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring. 4 the's.
Yeah, you're right. But I dunno, it just SOUNDS wrong. It's a mouthful in a way none of the LOTR film titles were. The Desolation Of Smaug similarly hit the ear wrong.

But point taken.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:19 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I don't disagree. They aren't the best titles but the the's were a big hit with Tolkien I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:58 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Not really-- It was Just The Hobbit: (Ill even give you There and Back Again) but Jackson is the one that has perverted this all for his own doing.. (although I will grant he can do a decent battle- (but I am trying to get how he made another 2 hour movie out of roughly 1-2 chapters in a book...).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:20 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I think a lot of these movies is material they gleaned from the appendices and other Tolkien writings. There's a lot of stuff outside of his "main" books. I did enjoy the second one more than the first one so I hope that trend continues.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:06 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

It would honestly be funny and evil if he decided he was just doing the battle from the perspective of Bilbo - so we see the first moments of the Battle and then the aftermath once he awakens from getting knocked out-- so title the movie Battle of the 5 Armies- and get about 3 minutes of actual battle footage.. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Comic-Con: The Poster for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Source: ComingSoon

July 23, 2014

New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures have released the new poster for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies ahead of the film's San Diego Comic-Con panel on Saturday, July 26.

Opening in 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on December 17, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies brings to an epic conclusion the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, Thorin Oakenshield and the Company of Dwarves. Having reclaimed their homeland from the Dragon Smaug, the Company has unwittingly unleashed a deadly force into the world. Enraged, Smaug rains his fiery wrath down upon the defenseless men, women and children of Lake-town.

Obsessed above all else with his reclaimed treasure, Thorin sacrifices friendship and honor to hoard it as Bilbo's frantic attempts to make him see reason drive the Hobbit towards a desperate and dangerous choice. But there are even greater dangers ahead. Unseen by any but the Wizard Gandalf, the great enemy Sauron has sent forth legions of Orcs in a stealth attack upon the Lonely Mountain.

As darkness converges on their escalating conflict, the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide – unite or be destroyed. Bilbo finds himself fighting for his life and the lives of his friends in the epic Battle of the Five Armies, as the future of Middle-earth hangs in the balance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:37 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC