Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Seasonal Affective Disorder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:03 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Anybody else get this? Around the middle of November I just completely feel miserable and like life isn't worth living. I usually cheer up for around the two weeks during Christmas but then I'm back to being bummed until around the middle of March. I don't know if it's the lack of sunlight, or the cold but I don't ever feel like doing things I usually enjoy.

I think I'll change my sig to cheer myself up a bit. Those two quotes never fail to make me smile.

How is winter treating you?

Update:

Shellhead kindly PMed me with the correct spelling for the disorder. I am a lousy speller.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

Post subject: Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 pm 
Daniel Pickett

You're not far off with the "lack of sunlight" ... as I understand it, it's caused by a deficiency of vitamin E which is something that our body produces because of exposure to the sun. During the winter, because of the time change and it's so darn cold, people have a tendency to stay in doors and out of the sun. I don't personally get it, but I have a loved one that is affected by it.

It's a real thing and if it's really getting you down you should see a doctor.

Good luck with that. I hope you feel better.

D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

I used to get socked by SAD during the long grey NJ winters. I got to the point where I would go lay in a tanning bed a couple times a week. That actually helped. What really cured me, though, was moving to Phoenix.

Best wishes!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:11 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Ditto.

And I'll never move back.

I get my full of winter during the week or so I visit around Christmas.

And I'm still trying to get the folks to come out here for Christmas so I don't even have to do that! :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:57 pm 
5" Scale

Oh yeah, the winters up here in Washington State definitely get to me at times. Luckily I've got my little guy to keep me on my toes. So not much time to sink into the poor me's as I call them. Nowadays I just seem to get frustrated or pissed off when dealing with the general public. I've been out and about on my own and amazed at folks just being dicks without provocation. I tell you, sometimes it is hard to act your age when someone brings you down to their level. So I guess I have the Merrily Affective Disorders this year :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:41 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

See, now my son and I are "winter sports" kinda guys. We love to ski and snowboard and build snow forts for snowball fights.

We go snowshoeing, tobogganing, ride the quads and just enjoy the winter months.

I've tried living in Miami and I just couldn't fathom a winter that wasn't cold and white. I HAD to get back up north.
Give me a proper 4 seasons or I just can't handle it.

As for SAD, my son's mother suffers from it badly. She's mostly in denial about it, but she and a few of her sisters all suffer from it, most have been treated and continue to be treated (mostly through sun lamp exposure and vitamin E supplements) and do fairly well. But it can be harsh, and it can make daily functioning questionable. From what I've seen, I'm glad my son and I don't have issues with it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:40 pm 
Santos L. Halper

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I've tried living in Miami and I just couldn't fathom a winter that wasn't cold and white. I HAD to get back up north.

I'm the exact opposite. I moved up north from Florida and after seven white Christmas, I decided I had just about enough and moved back to Miami. No way I'm ever going back!