Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matty JLU Toyman/Dr.Destiny/Firefly 12/17, Last of the J
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:28 pm 
ABS

The watchtower is not really needed to get the fullness out of these figures. I do have my own watchtower, but I do not display it because of limited shelf space. It's pretty awesome to have though and I will admit, it's one of my favorite elements of this line. But honestly, if you are a little tight with the cash or simply feel it is too much to waste on a toy, it isn't "integral," However, it is freakin awesome :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Volcana and Aquaman rereleases
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:03 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I definitely think Mattel should think of rereleasing some of their harder to find three and six-packs (and singles) in the future. If not on Matty they could sell them in TJ Maxx, Big Lots, etc. They wouldn't have to change the packaging at all either. They release old Batman figures this way, I don't see why they couldn't do this with JLU.

The packs I'm specifically thinking they should rerelease:

Volcana three pack
STAS Aquaman single
Legends Of The League six-pack
Secret Society 1 Six-Pack
Sand/Star Sapphire three pack

Speaking of Sand, how come I never hear anyone clamoring for a rerelease for HIM? He was just as difficult to find for most people as Obsidian, Big Barda, Star Sapphire, and Deadshot (he was the fifth major figure in that wave) and he never got a rerelease unlike those four. I'd think completists would want to see him again too.

For the record, I own all of the figures I listed above. I think they should rerelease all of those figures for JLU collectors who AREN'T as lucky. If they want to please ME, give us a final three pack of Granny Goodness, BTAS Dick Grayson Robin, and correct colors Two-Face. Then I can die happy.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:11 pm 
Displays Backwards

Fone Bone wrote:

Speaking of Sand, how come I never hear anyone clamoring for a rerelease for HIM? He was just as difficult to find for most people as Obsidian, Big Barda, Star Sapphire, and Deadshot (he was the fifth major figure in that wave) and he never got a rerelease unlike those four. I'd think completists would want to see him again too.

For the record, I own all of the figures I listed above. I think they should rerelease all of those figures for JLU collectors who AREN'T as lucky. If they want to please ME, give us a final three pack of Granny Goodness, BTAS doodletwig Grayson Robin, and correct colors Two-Face. Then I can die happy.

I don't remember Sand being hard to find. But that was some time ago. The other stuff you mentioned I never found (or were never released - poor Aquaman.) There were so many figures that were a pain in the butt to find in this line that I've forgotten many of them, like Obsidian and Deadshot. Worst line I've ever loved - like a beautiful abusive girlfriend.

I'd be all for them re-releasing figures. I guess it just comes down to how much demand there would be for it. I'm glad you're not one of the selfish members who think all releases should cater to their whims - I'd be fine with Mattel re-releasing figures I have if other folks want them. I hate any figures being "rare" - it just sucks out the fun for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:33 pm 
Collector Inspector

Personally, I want some of their 'teams' finished. The New Gods will never be "finished" and there are far too many Legion of Doom characters that should have been made but weren't.

Owlman and Johnny Quick for the Crime Syndicate

The Trickster for the Flash Rogues

Oberon for the JLI

Mind you... I wouldn't say no to an all-new Batman Family Sidekicks 6 Pack:

Red Hood - Jason Todd
Red Robin - Tim Drake
Robin - Damian Wayne
Oracle - Barbara Gordon
Batgirl - Stephanie Brown
Ace the dog from Batman Beyond

Sorry, I don't mean to turn this thread into yet another wish list.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:49 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Lets just stick to the one they made, but didn't release.
Powered up Volcana as a SDCC exclusive next year.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:39 am 
serves the Otter

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
Lets just stick to the one they made, but didn't release.
Powered up Volcana as a SDCC exclusive next year.

I've been saying that myself for awhile now. And yet, they didnt even give us a DCUC exclusive at SDCC this past summer, and that line is still active! So I doubt they'd give any thought to offering anymore JLU exclusives. :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:21 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

You would think after the replacement toy line, YJ, failed they would have at least given it a shot.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:44 am 

BCYa wrote:
I'm glad you're not one of the selfish members who think all releases should cater to their whims - I'd be fine with Mattel re-releasing figures I have if other folks want them. I hate any figures being "rare" - it just sucks out the fun for me.

This describes me to a T. I'd actually probably pick up any rereleases on Matty if the price wasn't too bad to support the line. But I'm just happy with what we got. I would just like to see everyone else able to find the figures I did.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:49 am 

Quote:
doodletwig

Wait, we can't say D ick Grayson? On a comic book and toy related board? Boy, the mods are a bunch of doodletwigs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:25 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I'm definitely for Volcana being rereleased and I agree it would be great to see some teams get completed...

...but it's OOOOOOVEEERRRRRRR! :lol: So, yeah. This is it.

EDIT:

Looking to arrange a trade between the Angleman/Firestorm/Killer Frost 3 pack (which I have MOC) for a Toyman/Dr Destiny/Firefly pack (which I don't). Posting it in the Marketplace thread! PM me!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:51 pm 
Displays Backwards

Fone Bone wrote:
Quote:
doodletwig

Wait, we can't say D ick Grayson? On a comic book and toy related board? Boy, the mods are a bunch of doodletwigs.

I didn't notice that! Pretty funny.

I guess you have to call him Richard Grayson.

Although, Doodletwig Grayson and Dingledong Wayne sound like great secret identities...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:04 am 
Brand Manager

BCYa wrote:
I don't remember Sand being hard to find. But that was some time ago. The other stuff you mentioned I never found (or were never released - poor Aquaman.) There were so many figures that were a pain in the butt to find in this line that I've forgotten many of them, like Obsidian and Deadshot.

Obsidian and Deadshot were definitely hard to find, but they were also very recognizable characters. People who saw them, instantly knew they wanted one. Sands, not so much. His set was one of those "unbalanced" ones, where most kids & collectors gravitated towards Star Sapphire at first. So for a while there, Sands was easier to come by than Star Sapphire. (On ebay, I mean.)

The funny thing about JLU is that, even though most people don't start out as completists... it kinda turns you into one along the way. I guess... eventually... even Captain Atom will be considered "rare".

Nah!!! No way!

BCYa wrote:
Worst line I've ever loved - like a beautiful abusive girlfriend.

I don't blame JLU for Mattel's shortcomings. So in my mind, it's more like a beautiful girlfriend with a douchey jerkwad father.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:07 am 
Daniel Pickett

Here's a look at the last new JLU figures:
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... nd-firefly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:10 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Yeah saw that just a little while ago. One last great review Julius. I'm grateful they found a way to release those last two figures, although I still wish it hadn't been at the expense of Aquaman. Ah well.

Julius, just out of curiosity, do YOU think they'll ever revisit this line? 20th anniversary, anything like that?

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 am 
Daniel Pickett

Here's a little back story on the Aquaman swapout in this pack - At the time they were putting together this last pack it wasn't on their radar that Aquaman was a hard to find figure. Aquaman was created in exactly the same numbers as all of the single carded figures that year so he's not rare from a numbers standpoint. I think he's just a really recognizable character so he got picked up by a lot of non-collectors (kids and moms) so that he was harder for JLU fans to find. In Mattel's mind at the time he wasn't rare since he was made in the same quantity so they didn't think fans would mind them swapping him out for an all new character.

Unfortunately ...no. As much as we all love this line...there are just not enough people still buying JLU for them to put any more $$ into the line. The numbers just don't add up for more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next