Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ALL HAIL JLU!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 am 
Santos L. Halper

Hail to the victorious dead!!

Sad to see JLU go. It was a really great line. The show and the figures rekindled my love for comics and collectibles, especially Superman. The show was the most definitive take on Superman, Batman and the rest of the JL too. Gonna miss seeing Bruce Timm's style in this aspect. An era has certainly passed away.

On the flip side, quality control problems, distribution problems, etc., etc., kind of has me glad it's come to a close. This was like a weird love/hate relationship that has finally called it quits. When it's time, it's time, I think.

Post subject: Re: ALL HAIL JLU!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 am 
Collector Inspector

With so many awesome customizers out there, this line will never truly die for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:55 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

Sad to see the figures stop coming, glad to see the monthly bill go away. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 am 
3 3/4"

im not sure what channel and if it is a regular thing, but there wa sa random episode on Saturday morning my daughter and I watched...I wonder if they are going to start rebroadcasting the series...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:44 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Happy to buy the final packs, will now get cracking on the customizing of what was made bad and what was not made. If they ever do the odd figure here or there for conventions then I'll be getting those, but for the most part I'm glad I don't have to find the cash for this line anymore, it just got too expensive for what you were getting. Love my collection though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:02 am 
ABS

ivelostr2 wrote:
im not sure what channel and if it is a regular thing, but there wa sa random episode on Saturday morning my daughter and I watched...I wonder if they are going to start rebroadcasting the series...

That's why JLU will never die! The toys may be done but the show is back on the air!

Ivelstr2, the CW affiliates have been showing JLU as part of their Saturday morning "Vortexx" lineup. They began this past August with "Initiation" (so they skipped over Justice League Seasons 1 and 2 and went straight to Justice League Unlimited). This past Saturday was "Doomsday Sanction." Each station has a different schedule, but I believe the CW is showing JLU at 10:30 Eastern/ 9:30 Central.

Given the fact that JLU is back on the air, should we ask Matty if he should try appealing to Target again to pick up the line? A very long shot, I know, but now we have media support back on the air! Maybe Matty could pitch just a wave or two of previously released figures in 3 packs. Imagine a Superman, STAS Aquaman, Volcana pack?

I really doubt either Mattel or Target would bite, but one can dream.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:11 pm 
Variant Head

I think Target might be interested if Mattel could drop the price alot. I think it would be best with lots of Supes / Bats characters redo Two face in correct colors re-release single card Metallo, Catwoman,Bats, Supes,Luthor and maybe every wave only have one new figure to keep the cost down Riddler would be an easy tooled one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:38 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Guys... JLU is over. It's not going to re-instated. Let's celebrate the 11 years of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:11 pm 
ABS

JuliusMarx wrote:
Guys... JLU is over. It's not going to re-instated. Let's celebrate the 11 years of fun.

No disrespect was intended. My comments were merely reflective of the fact that with JLU back on Saturday mornings (available on free TV this time compared to basic cable) that it may reach a new audience.

I fully acknowledge and respect that Scott said that there will be no more JLU and that these packs are the last hurrah for us JLU collectors. However, would it be so far-fetched to believe that if the cartoon miraculously performs well-beyond expectations for a children's syndicated program that it may ignite new interest among retailers?

I did not intend for my comments to take away from the current celebration of the last JLU packs (particularly the amazing Toyman pack). In fact, quite the opposite - Isn't it amazing that just as the JLU toyline is coming to a close that the JLU TV show comes back on the air? Scott has said that the JLU toyline performed amazingly well especially considering that it had no media tie-in for several years. Now the media has returned, and has a chance to reach a new generation of children (and some who never saw the show because they did not have Cable TV).

To me, the JLU toyline was all about hope. Just when things looked their bleakest, JLU continued to survive. Even though Scott/Mattel has said no more JLU toys, please excuse me if I choose to keep a lit candle by the window.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:11 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Wow almost 10 years ago this line started... seems like just yesterday. RIP JLU... and thanks Mattel. :)

D.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:44 pm 
Santos L. Halper

JuliusMarx wrote:

Ditto. Some relationships need to just call it quits. I think that JLU is one of them. Let's celebrate 11 years and not fill the thread up with long shot, hail mary hypotheticals to keep the line going. Thanks. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:23 pm 
AFA Graded

ImageImage

Thank you for everything.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 am 
shirtless hugger

Awesome pictures! Thanks for posting them!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Sorry Black Canary - I wasn't singling you out. There are several discussions about JLU going on in several different threads. My comment was not aimed directly at you.

D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm 
ABS

JuliusMarx wrote:
Sorry Black Canary - I wasn't singling you out. There are several discussions about JLU going on in several different threads. My comment was not aimed directly at you.

D

Daniel, I apologize as well for misconstruing your post. AFI has been a haven for JLU collectors thanks to you. While many of us understand that, as Scott confirms, Mattel will not be making any more JLU figures, AFI will still be one of the very few places online where JLU collectors congregate, speculate and comment on what an amazing line this has been. Few action figure lines have done what JLU has done (JLU toys were on the brink of cancellation no less than 4 times) and if there was any line in the world that could overcome this current cancelation, JLU is it. That is the only reason such talk about continuation persisted.

Thanks again for providing a forum to discuss JLU here at AFI!