Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Am I the only one with DC Direct Problems?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:28 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

The only problem I had was when one Green Lantern figure's leg snapped off when I was removing it from the package. Nothing a little Gorilla Glue couldn't fix.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:46 am 
shirtless hugger

I got rid of nearly of my DC Direct figures when Mattel started making DC figs. the only series I kept were their Super Friends line. those still hold up to me and had a consistent feel and scale throughout. I had multiple breaks on the Hush line and the Crisis line.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:15 am 
shirtless hugger

I've only had a couple of DCD figures break on me. Both the Anti-Monitor and 'unmasked' Babs Batgirl broke at their elbows, on both arms. Still trying to find good pins to use to repair them and retain the articulation.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:31 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Super Lois' hand snapped off. Thats about it for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:36 pm 
Tis' but a pup

My DC Direct Wonder Woman, from the Wonder Woman line, had her arm snap off at the shoulder. That really, really sucks for me, because shoulders are one thing I'm not too sure about how to fix (outside of cracking the whole torso open, which I'd really rather not do, because this is probably the best looking Wonder Woman figure I've seen produced to date, and she seems to go for something like $80+ on eBay).

Same thing actually happened with my 3.75" Kilowog, but at least in his case I can probably replace him for "only" 30-40 bucks, if I have to.

Between these two, I've learned to be exceedingly careful with all my DC Direct/Collectibles; anytime I encounter a joint with even a little resistance, I go for the boiling water to soften it up. I'm pretty sure I've saved, at a minimum, my Kyle Rayner and Red Lantern Meera doing this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:56 am 
Collector Inspector

In the last couple weeks I've had the shoulder snap off my Green Lantern series Arisia, The right hand snap off my Black Lantern Hawkgirl and the shoulder snapped off my 3.75 inch Kyle Rayner like a little dry twig.

Grant you, my 6-yr old son was playing with the Hawkgirl but with the Arisia I was just doing some routine posing and it broke off. Same with Kyle. The Kyle Rayner break saddens me the most because you feel that line is supposed to be played with despite the price. So now I've super-glued the appendages on.

The recent breaks have kept me from buying the DCC New 52 Justice League figures even though I admire the figures. They're nice. So I've gone to Mattel even though I
'm really sour on Mattel. I prefer to buy DCC, I like the sculpts so much, but the breaks drive me crazy.

When the Dc Directs break, you can see the joints. They're these tiny, brittle, clear pegs with little flexibility.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:24 pm 
5th Horseman

Almost every single DCUC female figure I own has broken. Almost all of them at the elbow. My Mr Freeze at the hip. Ra's Al Ghoul at the leg, and most of them break AS I take them out if the package. I've stopped buying the figures cause I'm tired of throwing money away. Their prop replicas are a whole different story. I want more of them. I have the Bat Signal, the Kryptonite, Wonder Woman's Bracelets, Hal's Lantern and the Joker's cane. They are all exceptional in quality. I love them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:45 am 
Brand Manager

Maybe someone could send this list of complaints to DC Collectibles, cause it would be easy for them to change the materials used in these joints. Well, at least easyer than loose theyr buyers.

I have a huge lot of DC Direct figures, and a few problems untill now. That was before I started getting theyr 3.75 inch green Lantern figures. 2 of 4 figures broke in the same day. I think that's the same amount of broken figures I had in more that 10 years collecting DC Direct before that. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:46 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I've have had plenty of figures from DCD break from their own weight. It seems everytime I go to dust them I'll find another figure where the pin in the knee has snapped. I really wish they'd do away with the clear brittle plastic they use on the pins.
Seriously I've must have had to fix broken pins on at least 15 figures.
HTH Hal
HTH Ollie
Hush Batman
Hush Nightwing
Hush Catwoman
SA Batman
Teen Titans Robin
PE/JLA Batman
PE/JLA Nightwing
A couple Hush Batman repaints
GL series 1 Hal
Ross Superman
Ross Green Lantern
Arkham Asylum Batman

And I'm sure there are more I just don't remember

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:44 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I recently started venturing outside of The Flash into collecting the entire DC Universe. Over the last 3 months I've gotten over 70 DC Direct/DC Collectibles figures and out of those? Two breaks.

The first was The Huntress from the Hush series. The peg in her right elbow snapped. I managed to repair this one (and retain articulation) by using a hot glue gun to connect the broken pieces and then once it was hard enough I started working it back and forth as it completely solidified.

The second was Batwoman from the 52 series. That one broke at the shoulder (!) as soon as I went to test the joint. So all I could really do was hot glue the arm in place. The replacement arrived today and thankfully it is intact.

This is one of the reasons that I do prefer to buy loose (well that and the usual cheaper price and much cheaper shipping) because I know these figures have had to deal with some kind of something. The first thing I do after opening a new figure is test the joints (extremely gently now) and I'm sure many of you do the same.

Not too shabby at all.