Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 Coming
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:27 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I can't imagine they'll keep us in suspense for very long. We'll probably know by December.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy Talk More Star Wars: Episode VII

by SuperHeroHype

November 19, 2012

George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy talk more about Kennedy taking over Lucasfilm and Star Wars: Episode VII in this new video brought online today. You can still check out the first video here and second video here.

Michael Arndt, the screenwriter responsible for Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3, has turned in a lengthy treatment for the next adventure and rumors persist that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford are being courted to return to the roles of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo.

Star Wars: Episode VII is expected to hit theaters in 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:53 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Kasdan and Kinberg on Board to Write Star Wars Sequels

by SuperHeroHype

November 20, 2012

Now that Michael Arndt has been announced as the screenwriter for Star Wars: Episode VII, Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm are already bringing talent on board for the next two films as well.

Deadline reports that Disney and Lucasfilm have approached Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg to start work on the subsequent installments that were mapped out by George Lucas.

Kasdan worked on the scripts for two of the original "Star Wars" films, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark. Kinberg's credits include X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes and the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:57 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Saw this last night, and thought only one word.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Lawrence Kasdan & Simon Kinberg Writing Star Wars Spin-Offs Instead?

by SuperHeroHype

November 28, 2012

A little over a week ago, it was announced that writers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg had been brought on to begin writing the scripts for subsequent Star Wars films that follow Michael Arndt's Star Wars: Episode VII, but now it seems that's only partially true. THR is reporting that the films these two have been brought on to write are separate projects that might actually be spin-off films about individual characters from the Star Wars universe and not necessarily "Episodes VII" and "IX."

Disney is said to be planning on taking the 'Marvel' approach to Star Wars and releasing a new film every 2-3 years with some that focus on different aspects of the Universe, but they're remaining tight lipped about all of this for now.

Kasdan worked on the scripts for two of the original "Star Wars" films, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark. Kinberg's credits include X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes and the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Also, our parent site ComingSoon.net caught up with star Mark Hamill and asked him if he knows anything else about the upcoming sequels.

"I don't have any information that isn't already out there. And I'm in a place where sometimes I forget what's classified and what's not. I said to my son – because my son is really the Star Wars fanatic in my family, of my three kids – I said, "How come you know more about Star Wars than me or even Lucasfilm?" He goes, "Well, Dad, I go to StarWars.com." He knew about the new writer, Michael Arndt, before I knew about that… I'm not holding out on you. I just know that nothing's been decided, whether we're in or out. I was surprised at how George announced it, because he told me about this last summer. Not about Disney, but just that they decided after all these years that they were gonna go do VII, VIII, and IX. We were just shocked. But it's so in the early stages… I thought he announced too early. I don't know what the timing was in terms of the Disney deal. But we don't know what's going on really. And when we do, believe me, we'll let you know! [Laughs.]"

Star Wars: Episode VII is planned for a 2015 release.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Jon Favreau and David Fincher in the Running for Star Wars?

by SuperHeroHype

November 30, 2012

It's been over a week since the last rumor about a potential director for Star Wars made the rounds and to make up for lost time, there are two more names allegedly in the running. Directors Jon Favreau (Iron Man, Cowboys & Aliens) and David Fincher (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network) are apparently seeking out the job, or so says Deadline.

They say: "I've also heard Jon Favreau is panting after this job, and even that David Fincher, who apparently worked for Lucas’s ILM in a menial job as a teen, might be game for one of these new films. Unfortunately, we are getting nothing out of Lucas Land on what they call speculation. I broke a story recently that Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg will write future Star Wars installments, most likely the second and third installments of the new trilogy, I’d heard. Lucas, through Disney, denied every speck of this, but I ran it anyway. They won’t comment or clarify these things because they want to announce it themselves on their own Twitter or website or whatever they’ve got."

Favreau previously expressed interest in the job but hasn't outright said he's gunning for it, and Fincher's involvement might be simply wishful thinking due to his involvement with Return of the Jedi as an assistant camera man.

Disney is said to be planning on taking the 'Marvel' approach to Star Wars and releasing a new film every 2-3 years with some that focus on different aspects of the Universe, but they're remaining tight-lipped about all of this for now. Star Wars: Episode VII, meanwhile, will move forward with a screenplay by Michael Arndt for a release in 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:57 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

How Involved Will George Lucas be with Star Wars: Episode VII?

by SuperHeroHype

December 03, 2012

When it was announced that Disney bought Lucasfilm and the studio was going to make more Star Wars movies, the question of 'What will George do?' rang out and was quickly answered with 'he's just a consultant'. Lucas spoke with Access Hollywood about what his being a 'consultant' entails.

“[If the filmmakers ask],‘Who’s this guy?’ I can tell them,” he said. “I mean, they have a hundred encyclopedias and things, but I actually know a lot. I can say, ‘This is this and this is that.' Basically I’m not — I don’t really have much to do.”

Lucasfilm also posted the fourth part of Kathleen Kennedy and Lucas's conversation about Star Wars which you can check out below. In this segment, they explore what makes the appeal of Star Wars universal.

Disney is said to be planning on taking the 'Marvel' approach to Star Wars and releasing a new film every 2-3 years with some that focus on different aspects of the Universe. Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Samuel L. Jackson Wants to be in Star Wars: Episode VII

by SuperHeroHype

December 10, 2012

Recently it's been all about what directors do and don't want to get in on the Star Wars game, but now it has shifted to actors. Samuel L. Jackson, who portrayed Jedi Master Mace Windu in the prequel trilogy, has a lot of interest in coming back for the new sequel.

"I'm not surprised but totally geeked by the idea of there being more Star Wars," Jackson told E! News. "It's like, okay, Obi-Wan was dead when episode four started, so maybe everyone thinks I'm dead and we'll find out what happened to Mace Windu. I can come back as one-armed or a one-handed Jedi that's still around that didn't actually die."

"I could do that or be a ghost hologram. I don't care, I just want to stay associated with the franchise."

But what is it about the franchise that makes Jackson want to return so badly?

"I just always loved it. I always loved the idea of it, that there's this whole civilization out there somewhere else that's just as much fun and different and diverse and wild as we are."

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:21 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Wow, that's awesome. Read this today as well...

http://www.accesshollywood.com/star-war ... icle_73590

I say why the HECK not? Here are some quotes from the article:

Access Hollywood caught up with Ewan McGregor at the junket for his latest movie, “The Impossible,” where he weighed in on dusting off his lightsaber to play Obi-Wan Kenobi again.

“Yeah, sure… absolutely,” he told Access when asked about playing the Jedi role again, first played by Alec Guinness in the first three “Star Wars” movies.

Obi-Wan dies at the end of the “Episode IV,” but is seen (and heard) as a ghostly figure in “Episode V” and “Episode VI,” and could conceivably return in an ethereal form again in the upcoming movies.

“If they need me, I’ll be there,” Ewan added.

“Lucas let me know that he was selling [‘Star Wars’] the day before it was released to press and then he told me they were going to make the last three stories,” the actor explained.

“And then I met him recently and asked him if he was going to be involved in them at all and he said, he’d given them the storylines for the last three, which he always planned to do, but he was never going to make them,” Ewan told Access. “Because he felt like that would be his life’s work and he wanted to do other things.”

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:16 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Will Luke Skywalker Return to Yavin 4 in Star Wars: Episode VII?

by SuperHeroHype

December 19, 2012

It's been a while since there was a new Star Wars rumor, so it's about time for a new one. Reuters posted an article yesterday about the Mayan temple in Tikal, Guatemala that was used as the Yavin 4 rebel base in the original Star Wars. But the really interesting thing about the article is the inclusion of this line:

"YYavin 4 and the rebel base return to the Star Wars plot in the forthcoming Episode VII, announced in October by the Walt Disney Co, in which Skywalker comes back to the planet to build a Jedi Knight academy. However, fans said that Disney will likely film those scenes in a studio rather than return to Tikal."

Before you get really excited, they cite no sources for this particular 'plot point' so treat this strictly as a rumor.

Michael Arndt is writing the screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII , scheduled to hit theaters in 2015.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Episode VII
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:22 am 
3 3/4"

Wasn't that in the comics or books, or something? I feel like somebody went to wookiepedia or another fan site, looked up some EU stuff and stuck it in the story. Seems too casual a reference when information on it has been so tight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:01 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

UncleMarsellus wrote:
Wasn't that in the comics or books, or something? I feel like somebody went to wookiepedia or another fan site, looked up some EU stuff and stuck it in the story. Seems too casual a reference when information on it has been so tight.

It was the basis of the whole Jedi Academy Trilogy of books (and Junior Jedi and Young Jedi Knights series as well)
- which culminated with 12 jedi combining their force powers to send a fleet of Star Destroyers through Hyperspace halfway across the galaxy.. Really became the beginning of the Force "crutch" to solve every problem.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:25 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I just thought of something. Does Disney buying Lucasfilm mean the rights to the Star Wars episode of The Muppet Show will now be cleared and The Muppet Show Season Four can now come to DVD? Also, with the rights to Star Wars and Indiana Jones now in Disney's possession does that mean we are two rights issues closer to a release of Muppet Babies on DVD?

I ask the important questions.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:25 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
I just thought of something. Does Disney buying Lucasfilm mean the rights to the Star Wars episode of The Muppet Show will now be cleared and The Muppet Show Season Four can now come to DVD? Also, with the rights to Star Wars and Indiana Jones now in Disney's possession does that mean we are two rights issues closer to a release of Muppet Babies on DVD?

I ask the important questions.

I agree these are important-- but I thought that the delays in season 4 were more due to music rights-- although I admit I havent kept up on it..

Muppet Babies-- have a lot of older movies clips-- I wonder if they will ever see the light of day..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Disney Completes Lucasfilm Acquisition

by SuperHeroHype

December 21, 2012

Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company announced today that Disney has completed its acquisition of Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Lucasfilm to the Disney family,” said Iger. “'Star Wars' is one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time and this transaction combines that world class content with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets, which we believe will generate growth as well as significant long-term value.”

Under the terms of the merger agreement, at closing Disney issued 37,076,679 shares and made a cash payment of $2,208,199,950. Based upon the closing price of Disney shares on December 21, 2012 at $50.00, the transaction has a total value of approximately $4.06 billion.

Lucasfilm’s assets include its massively popular Star Wars franchise, operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production, as well as a substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies. It operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next