Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Action Figure Collecting: The End of Days?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:39 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/blog ... nd-of-days

Agree? Disagree?

While my points in the article are brief, the last one is the biggest problem facing our hobby right now - Brand Fatigue. While prices and the changes within DC and Marvel are certainly factors, it seems to me that many collectors are just worn out right now. Bored. Jaded. Too much of a good thing.

Are you still excited for NYTF and SDCC? Not just the usual interest, but do you feel the same anticipation and excitement that has preceded these events in the past?

Let's be honest. What do we have to look forward to?

JLU is (finally) done. DCUC is on life support. MOTU is dwindling. Marvel Universe seems to be struggling a little, and I haven't seen anything new here in months, despite what has been shown at SDCC. Marvel Legends is the same. Transformers and Star Wars are in the same boat - the same product just sitting on the shelves, month after month.

So I ask...is it still fun? Not "fun" as in "I like it and I've always done it, so I'll keep doing it"...but truly FUN, where you feel that same thrill that you always have? Is it still worth the time, the effort, the cost to maintain and display and store your collection? Do you still feel that excitement of coming to the forum and sharing your collecting stories, or is buying an action figure simply another mark on your checklist and you drone on to the next task?

Something to think about.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: Action Figure Collecting: The End of Days?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Quote:
Let's be honest. What do we have to look forward to?

For me, I'm really hoping for Iron Man 3 to fill in some more gaps in the Armored Avenger's corner of the universe.

I'm especially excited about the Iron Legends sub-line with the Iron Monger BAF. There could be some nice figures for me out of that set.

Or it could be a disappointment.

Either way, that'll be the highlight of Toyfair 13 for me.

That, and the Lego Iron Man sets. :wink:

Beyond that, not much.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:38 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I disagree...

Now, I do agree for some, maybe it is hard to enjoy the hobby but toys don't exist for us. They really exist for children and maybe our things will fade away in time but there will always be toys and action figures. And who knows... the hobby has evolved and changed over the last 34 years of my life... it'll keep on evolving and changing and who knows... something may crop up to replace all these things we love.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:31 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Good post, Superfly. Man, I do remember the thrill of toy runs 10+ years ago. Tracking down Buzz-Off and running into Cornboy at the same Target doing the same thing. That WAS fun.

I rarely do a dedicated toy run to Target/Walmart anymore. I do still enjoy hitting TRU. But even that's a once a week max event. And, yeah, I'm a vintage fan and most of my collecting is done via very specific daily eBay searches.

You may be right about the thrill of modern incarnations of vintage lines losing its luster. MOTU 200X blew my mind. But somewhere in the middle of G.I. Joe's 25th Anniversary line I just pooped out. Maybe it was all too much too soon. Poor toy companies. Damned if they do and damned if they don't, lol!

I still love the hobby. For you and me and most of the fellas on this board, its in our blood and we will find ways to keep enjoying it, despite whatever the current circumstance is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I think the trend will be heading more towards the Skylanders type (or those godawful Mattel Ipad things/ new heroclix), something that can be used as a figure and a game piece.

All they need to add is a little articulation.

That and the squinkies figure type trend-- (which to be honest is similiar to our 80s trend of Monster in My Pocket, MUSCLE Army Ants etc... just a little smaller)

THe worst trend that looks to keep getting traction in the toy aisles is the blind bagged product (or set figure with hidden figure) . I mean beside the Mighty Beanz, Lego Figures, My Little Pony, Mega Blocks, etc.. I mean even Playmobil has gotten into that trend.. Another bit of Japanese culture I wish would have stayed over there.. (that and anime )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:03 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Yeah I wasn't a fan of blind packs for Hero Clicks either. I get it, they were just three dimensional playing cards but still it was annoying.

The Legos have become even more annoying since my kid is into them.

And it kept me away from the Transformers mini figures ten years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:51 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

For me, the thrill is still there.

It just isn't with the same brands anymore.

I love going into stores hoping to find a new wave of Skylanders for my son (and when I do finally track down that one "must have" figure, I still do my happy dance).

While I got into toys collecting because of my love for Star Wars and Superheroes, neither of those really dominate my buying habits anymore.

I still love DC, and will pick up figures when I see them, and yes I do have a sub, I'm not in the "Must Have Now" mindset anymore.

Lego, on the other hand, is a massive thrill for me now. I can't get enough of the minifigure sets, the Superhero sets, Monster Fighters (we just bought a 2nd Zombie set and are going to ebay for other, older Monster type figures like skeletons and Mummies), and I can't wait to see what new brands they introduce. Toy Fair can't come soon enough for me on that front.

Mostly, my collecting is changed by my son. I look for lines and play styles that we can enjoy together.

Im still excited. I still hunt. Its just for different stuff now.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 pm 
Wonderdog

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I've missed the fun of an actual in-person find for a lot of years now. And the price jumps are killing me (and I'm one of the lucky people with a stable income.) When I have to resort to online shopping because, for whatever reason, I can't find what I'm looking for in the stores, something just goes out of it for me. More and more I'm thinking that, for me, the end of JLU is a good time to just...stop. Put that time, money and effort into something new.

Last edited by Tom2814 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Yeah... the "hunt" is really what's dead for me right now. Target just has nothing I'm looking for currently. TRU is pretty spotty and there aren't really any Walmarts or KMarts close by.

I still like SEEING the new stuff and reporting on it at TF and SDCC... but the thrill of the chase has been missing for a few years... with the exception of when I go out hunting with friends.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:32 pm 
4" scale

I used to love going to stores to "hunt" for figures. Now distribution has been so spotty, even in the few instances where I would have to go to a store vs. ordering online, it has become very frustrating.

Star Wars figures used to be my main toy line. Now, all Hasbro does are remake figures over and over. And clones, clones, clones. I miss the days when there was a figure of a never-before-made character available. There are still tons of characters left to be made but there is no longer any interest to produce them it seems. Even DC Collectibles which was supposed to be the source for non-mass market items is all Batman and Superman.

On the other hand, with fewer 3-3/4" and 6" figures to collect, my attention has turned to higher-end items. While there aren't as many of them, the higher price of Hot Toys figures take their place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:46 pm 
Displays Backwards

Your whining about the DC new 52 made me lose interest in what else you had to say. Seemed to be the biggest point of your article. A company tries to refresh itself to reach new fans and the grumpy old fans complain, saying that new fans will never come so they should only cater to what the long time fans want.

Kiki Wolfkill, who worked on Halo 4, said they found out when you change things, the fans complain. And when you don't change things, the fans complain. So it's a lose-lose situation, especially with endless internet sites readily available for all the complaining.

I still have fun collecting WWE and TNA figures. I'm looking forward to more GI Joes finally. I like the FOC Transformers and the new Hobbit toys are great. It's far from a barren landscape.

Kids aren't into toys much these days, lines die quickly, prices are higher - but there is still a bunch of cool stuff coming out next year - and hopefully for many more years. The End isn't Nigh at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:50 pm 
Displays Backwards

stewbacca wrote:

THe worst trend that looks to keep getting traction in the toy aisles is the blind bagged product (or set figure with hidden figure) . I mean beside the Mighty Beanz, Lego Figures, My Little Pony, Mega Blocks, etc.. I mean even Playmobil has gotten into that trend.. Another bit of Japanese culture I wish would have stayed over there.. (that and anime )

I hate blind bagged stuff with a passion. Hasbro did it with their Star Wars Fighter Pods. The first series it was only variant poses of characters, and they were fairly easy to get. With the second series, the blind bagged stuff were all cool new figures, and they were much tougher to get. It really sucked and almost made me quit buying the line. I'm still not gonna get that blind bag crap - not knowing what you are buying is a great way to throw money away.

Another thing that is bad is when Mattel or Hasbro put exclusive figures in with repacks of others. Like a ten-pack with 2 new figures or stuff like that. It's a real F U to long time collectors. Maybe they feel like they can squeeze more bucks out of people - maybe people will just get pissed off and walk away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:24 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

BCYa wrote:
Your whining about the DC new 52 made me lose interest in what else you had to say. Seemed to be the biggest point of your article. A company tries to refresh itself to reach new fans and the grumpy old fans complain, saying that new fans will never come so they should only cater to what the long time fans want.

Quoted for truth. Fanboys are the worst judge of what is best for the comic book industry because they believe comics should cater exclusively to them instead of trying to get new readers. Catering exclusively to fanboys in the past is the very reason the industry is dying in the first place.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:25 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Not a blind bag fan either.

My solution is to simply not buy them. Almost all of my Lego people have been trades or ebay.

However, I am a fan of (decent) anime. I like Japanese culture in general.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:18 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Fone Bone wrote:
BCYa wrote:

Quoted for truth. Fanboys are the worst judge of what is best for the comic book industry because they believe comics should cater exclusively to them instead of trying to get new readers. Catering exclusively to fanboys in the past is the very reason the industry is dying in the first place.

One sentence in the entire article made you both lose interest in the entire piece? Wow. The power of the written word.

You obviously missed the point. Maybe try reading it again.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews